Testing Positive Before Cruise Loophole?

cachouonacruise

Our final payment date is approaching and I'm quite excited about our upcoming cruise to England, Iceland and Ireland on Silhouette.

But, I have one significant concern, for which, I can't find the answer on Celebrity website. I am wondering if experienced cruisers would have the answer.

Our cruise now qualifies for the Sail with Confidence Program, which I am really excited about, because it means that despite being fully vaccinated, and following all guidelines, if we catch Covid more than 48 hours before sailing, at least, we won't lose all of our money and we will get a FCC.

Being Canadian, I am not eligible to the Cruise Care Program and I did not find any cancellation/trip interruption insurance that would cover us, for example, if we are exposed to the virus during our flight, and test positive, within 48 hours of sailing time.

I have seen on these Boards a Celebrity program, stating that guests testing positive within 14 days of sailing time, would be refunded in the shape of a FCC. However, last time, I saw that program, it was ending April 30, 2022.

Our cruise in June 2022, seems to fall between two chairs: The end of the Testing Positive Program in April 2022  and the end of the Sail with Confidence Program in September 2022.

So, if I understanding it right, if my wife or I are exposed to the virus at the airport, during our flight or during our one night, pre-cruise hotel stay.... we would end up, losing our cruise and our cruisefare... This scenario is quite... scary. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that could help cover that last minute gap? 

Thank-you in advance. 

Edited by cachouonacruise
  • Like 1

I would recommend you contact Celebrity or you TA.    You may be interpreting the Cruise with Confidence incorrectly.   When I just took a short peek what stood out to me was  "Simply book your vacation by March 31, 2022"   and in the T&C

"for a sailing scheduled to depart on or before December 31, 2022 or one year from the originally scheduled embarkation date of the guest’s cancelled cruise reservation, whichever is later."

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would recommend you contact Celebrity or you TA.    You may be interpreting the Cruise with Confidence incorrectly.   When I just took a short peek what stood out to me was  "Simply book your vacation by March 31, 2022"   and in the T&C

"for a sailing scheduled to depart on or before December 31, 2022 or one year from the originally scheduled embarkation date of the guest’s cancelled cruise reservation, whichever is later."

Thank-you Jim for taking the time to consider my request.  As you suggested, I will definitely follow-up with my TA. I was just hoping someone could help me, because, the understanding of the combined programs is complex

But, may be because English is not my usual language, I may not have explained myself well.

Our June 2022 cruise was booked way prior to March 2022. In the FAQ, it is stated that :"These benefits are currently available on reservations made by March 31, 2022 on sailings departing on or before September 30, 2022"  

So, I am satisfied that our cruise meets criteria if the cruise with confidence.

But, what will happen if my wife or I test positive right before boarding? 

The answer used to be in the Celebrity "Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid 19." However, this policy, expires on April 30, 2022 and I could not find it on line (I did not know the official name of the policy, which did not help. 

However, I just booked a new cruise for 2023 and I received a few minutes ago, an email from Celebrity thanking me for booking that cruise, which included Celebrity a copy of their "Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid 19". Unfortunately, the policy included in the email, still expires on April 30, 2022.

In short, what I would need to know is a confirmation that the Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid 19 was extended or will be extended by Celebrity...

It is quite confusing and thank-you very much Jim, for all your support and assistance to Cruise Critics Members. Your expertise is amazing! 

48 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank-you Jim for taking the time to consider my request.  As you suggested, I will definitely follow-up with my TA. I was just hoping someone could help me, because, the understanding of the combined programs is complex

But, may be because English is not my usual language, I may not have explained myself well.

Our June 2022 cruise was booked way prior to March 2022. In the FAQ, it is stated that :"These benefits are currently available on reservations made by March 31, 2022 on sailings departing on or before September 30, 2022"  

So, I am satisfied that our cruise meets criteria if the cruise with confidence.

The answer used to be in the Celebrity "Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid 19." However, this policy, expires on April 30, 2022 and I could not find it on line (I did not know the official name of the policy, which did not help. 

However, I just booked a new cruise for 2023 and I received a few minutes ago, an email from Celebrity thanking me for booking that cruise, which included Celebrity a copy of their "Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid 19". Unfortunately, the policy included in the email, still expires on April 30, 2022.

In short, what I would need to know is a confirmation that the Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid 19 was extended or will be extended by Celebrity...

It is quite confusing and thank-you very much Jim, for all your support and assistance to Cruise Critics Members. Your expertise is amazing! 

You're understanding of the programs as I have seen you explain is 100% correct.  The one missing piece is the testing requirement.  The date on that currently expires on 2/28/2022 but it also indicates that it may continue into 2022.   We all know it has and probably will be extended past Feb.   It would be my guess that as long as there is a testing requirement they will extend the "test positive and receive a refund" policy.  They certainly don't want positive people boarding the ship.

Not much help if you are looking for guarantee for June but logically I doubt you have much to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity has made a mess out of this. Even on the last TA update they flubbed the delivery of the dates and program features terribly bad. No one can guarantee you that these programs will be extended but judging from past events, they do get extended often. 

Cruise with Confidence

A: Our current Cruise With Confidence program offers guests the ability to cancel their sailing for any reason, within 48 hours of their sailing date, in exchange for a 100% Future Cruise Credit for amounts paid toward their cruise fare; The program also offers our Best Price Guarantee allowing guests to change their price or promotion up to 48 hours before sailing. These benefits are currently available on reservations made by March 31, 2022 on sailings departing on or before September 30,2022. 

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

The most recent version of the policy is here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

And here is a lengthy FAQ:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/ITK/CEL_CWC_FAQs_Jan20.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am also doing a European cruise this summer. At this time Celebrity does not have a testing policy for Europe for summer 2022 yet. Many European countries are removing the testing requirement so I really hope by summer we won't have to test. Probably false hope but still 🙂 Also hoping Canada removes the testing requirement to come home. Just removing those two tests will relieve an enormous amount of stress. But definitely get a covid specific insurance policy (and most don't cover covid so make sure it does) if testing is still required close to your trip.

6 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

I can only imagine trying to understand these complex set of rules if English isn't your primary language.  It is complex to an English speaker.

I don't believe any of us know if any of these programs will be extended.  You are truly covered under the for your first cruise up until 48 hours  cancellation prior to sailing.   Now if you tested positive you may not get a refund but would probably get a Future Cruise Certificate.  That's what your agent should be able to sort out for you.

I don't believe that if you test positive at the origin city of the cruise withing the 48 hours prior to the cruise you would get any assistance on quarantine hotels or flight home.  Let us know what you find out. 

• Thanks 2

I called the company that I booked our trip insurance through and was told I would be covered if I came up positive any time before stepping on the ship.  Note, it would have to be via PCR or better.  Therefore, if I show positive with the monitored online test, I will need to get a PCR test right away or I am not covered.  Best to make sure you understand the specifics with whatever insurance you end up purchasing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2