NCL Drop Masks Mandate as of March 1st - Will HAL Follow?

Spire2000

Perhaps with the air filtration changes on ships and planes recently the usual dry “cruise cough” will become minimal.

I still plan on packing some cough drops & syrup until I note significant changes.

Covid? It’s not going anywhere. Mitigate as necessary and try not to live the remaining years of your life in fear.

Life’s too short.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 8

HAL just reiterated their mask policy on February 4. It wouldn't seem likely that they'd change it in the near future.   

Updated February 4, 2022

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on sailings from the U.S.:

Vaccines and Testing: All guests must be fully vaccinated and produce a negative viral COVID-19 (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation.

Masks: All guests, regardless of age, must always wear face masks in elevators and in all indoor areas of the ship, except when eating or drinking or in their staterooms. 

31 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Will you return to HAL after they remove their mask mandate ?  

That's the big question, isn't it?  Other than Disney, I haven't dabbled with other lines in decades.  If I try someone else and find I like them, HAL may lose me forever.  Then again, I may have a poor experience on another line and end up coming back to HAL.  But all will be moot if they remove the mask mandate; then they'll have my continued business for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman93 said:

That's the big question, isn't it?  Other than Disney, I haven't dabbled with other lines in decades.  If I try someone else and find I like them, HAL may lose me forever.  Then again, I may have a poor experience on another line and end up coming back to HAL.  But all will be moot if they remove the mask mandate; then they'll have my continued business for sure!

Indeed.

Once sanity &  appropriate mitigation measures  become industry wide  cruising should return to, what the “science folks” say, the “new normal”.

Yep. Wearing my tutu on gala nights, maskless, can once again become a reality for me .Go HAL! 😀

Be well.

BTW, I’m suddenly breathless with the update.
Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 2/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

That is almost happening.

10 days is gon.

Are you talking about the 10 day onboard isolation being gone?  That's been our biggest concern for the upcoming 35 day HI/SoPac cruise (which I know you're on, too).  Do you have more info to share?

IF  health and safety is your first priority and you recognize the added protection when wearing a mask then you would require not recommend masks....talking out of both sides of mouth at it's finest......all it takes is one big cruise ship outbreak to be all over the evening news and chaos will return to all cruise lines.

"Maintaining the health and safety of our guests, crew and communities we visit continues to be our first priority, always," the cruise line said in an emailed statement to USA TODAY. "

"Face masks while onboard are at guests’ discretion," Norwegian indicated. "We recognize the added protections provided when wearing a face mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom."

57 minutes ago, dockman said:
IF  health and safety is your first priority and you recognize the added protection when wearing a mask then you would require not recommend masks....talking out of both sides of mouth at it's finest......all it takes is one big cruise ship outbreak to be all over the evening news and chaos will return to all cruise lines.

"Maintaining the health and safety of our guests, crew and communities we visit continues to be our first priority, always," the cruise line said in an emailed statement to USA TODAY. "

"Face masks while onboard are at guests’ discretion," Norwegian indicated. "We recognize the added protections provided when wearing a face mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom."

"We recommend that all guest wear face masks onboard is just a way to say that we are not requiring that passengers wear face masks. That is definitely how many passengers will read that. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Perhaps with the air filtration changes on ships and planes recently the usual dry “cruise cough” will become minimal.

I still plan on packing some cough drops & syrup until I note significant changes.

Covid? It’s not going anywhere. Mitigate as necessary and try not to live the remaining years of your life in fear.

Life’s too short.

Be well.

Bob

Bourbon or Vodka works better…just sayin’!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Are you talking about the 10 day onboard isolation being gone?  That's been our biggest concern for the upcoming 35 day HI/SoPac cruise (which I know you're on, too).  Do you have more info to share?

I saw an APPLE article (Credited to USA Today, I think) this morning saying the CDC was dropping 10 days to 5.  Of course, they also said no one should board a cruise ship, and they were changing the order of their color codes restrictions. Why the heck would they do that?! 😉

41 minutes ago, Cinder Again said:

I saw an APPLE article (Credited to USA Today, I think) this morning saying the CDC was dropping 10 days to 5.  Of course, they also said no one should board a cruise ship, and they were changing the order of their color codes restrictions. Why the heck would they do that?! 😉

Can you find and post the link to this article please?  All the articles I found plus the CDC website still show 10 days recommended for congregate settings, which include cruise ships.  They recently reduced it from 10 to 5 days for asymptomatic people in non-congregate setting but that's all I see.   Thx.

We feel that cruises for people who are elderly & have  other medical issues will be out of the question . We fit that category  . We will have to wear masks the rest of our lives  when shopping .We won't go to a movie or indoor restaurant 

Unless this virus   leaves  within the year ,we are finished with cruises . Why take the risk  where there are many people congregating  . A lot of  space between people is the answer  for safety  .There are no ventilating systems designed that can completely stop a virus 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

What we need is people who tell the truth & do truthful things 

We have quite a mess in the USA  .some thing i have never seen in my 83 year lifetime 

That applies to everyone, including those that spread all sorts of false info on any number of subjects.

3 hours ago, Cinder Again said:

The CDC dropped it to 5 days, but it is up to the cruise lines if they want to adopt that standard on board ship.  I have been on board ship since the CDC made that change, but the cruise line still kept to the 10 day quarantine period.

3 hours ago, zelker said:

Can you find and post the link to this article please?  All the articles I found plus the CDC website still show 10 days recommended for congregate settings, which include cruise ships.  They recently reduced it from 10 to 5 days for asymptomatic people in non-congregate setting but that's all I see.   Thx.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6562415001

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, prescottbob said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, it seems like the big question is - is HAL going to commit, by 2-18, to voluntarily opt into the CDC guidelines and of course mandate that at least 95% of passengers and crew are "up to date" with their vaccines in order to be rated at the new level of "vaccination standard of excellence" which then means isolation can be 5 days.  But if not, then it's still 10 days in isolation .... I think ....🤷‍♀️

4 hours ago, Cinder Again said:

Thanks, Roberto! I was looking it back up!

No problemo.

HAL,  & other cruise outfits, seems to be following the 95% or greater ‘shots’ embarkation requirements.  I will not use the term vaccination as per the old definition, i.e. preventing , e.g. polio, hepatitis, etc.) versus the “new”  protection definition.

It appears the new ‘word salad’, according to the “Science”, I.e. CDC, remains to be a moving towards cruise line survival ability’s, I e,  embarkation testing:/ quarantining  on board.

Certainly those not comfortable with whatever booking / cruise requirements that currently exist should find other travel options IMHO.

Be well.

Bob

The problem with testing at the pier is that you can't get an appointment -at least not in San Diego! The first appointment they had available was two days after my ship sails... : ( 

It's getting harder and harder to find testing appointments. I have a stack of home tests, but those don't count for sailing as the test has to be "medically supervised." 

My last cruise had everyone test at the pier before boarding -I think that's a good system. It took a lot of space for lines, testing booths, and waiting areas -but it did inspire more than a little confidence.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:56 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I feel very safe without a mask in any setting since I am fully vaccinated/boosted.

I too felt 'very safe' after being fully vaccinated and boosted... until I got COVID and had a very rough time with it. 😷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fshepinc said:

The problem with testing at the pier is that you can't get an appointment -at least not in San Diego! The first appointment they had available was two days after my ship sails... : ( 

It's getting harder and harder to find testing appointments. I have a stack of home tests, but those don't count for sailing as the test has to be "medically supervised." 

My last cruise had everyone test at the pier before boarding -I think that's a good system. It took a lot of space for lines, testing booths, and waiting areas -but it did inspire more than a little confidence.

We also live in San Diego, and have had good luck getting free test appointments at CVS when needed. And these do qualify for sailing on HAL.

• Like 2