Cunard’s White Star Luggage Service

RJChatsworth

Does anyone have any experience of this service please, assuming it’s come back to life since cruising has returned?  We are thinking of flying to the USA and then returning later on QM-2 from New York to Southampton and don’t want to haul huge suitcases around whilst touring.

I didn’t get much from the website but that might be my problem.  How long do you have to book in advance, when do they collect your luggage from home, is it reliable, is the paperwork cumbersome, is it delivered to your cabin on time (or miss the ship), is it ever damaged/lost and at what cost?

Thoughts/experiences would be welcome? Have I missed the obvious?

I have used White Star from US to UK and within the UK. I used another service US to Canada (whoever HAL uses).  In every case, I found the communication to be excellent, from explanation of the process, to tracking my case. Always on time and undamaged. 

For US to UK, I needed to send a detailed list of what was in the case (for customs). For US to Canada, All that was needed was a general letter that said, essentially, it's my stuff. I don't know what's needed for UK to US, but there probably will be paperwork for customs. 

IIRC, there are independent luggage forwarding companies, but if you want it taken directly to the ship, you need to use White Star. 

It's been 3 1/2 years since I've used White Star, so timing and rules may have changed since then. Call and talk to someone at White Star to see what the requirements are for your trip. Also make sure you check on the kind of luggage you may send. For a while they were saying no garment bags. 

I don't believe White Star exists any more.  The last time I used luggage forwarding in 2019 they were working with Luggage Forward:

https://www.luggageforward.com/

I do know that it is quite expensive internationally and there are lots of customs regulations.  If possible I would suggest taking it on the flight and having Luggage Forward pick it up at your first hotel.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have used White Star from US to UK and within the UK. I used another service US to Canada (whoever HAL uses).  In every case, I found the communication to be excellent, from explanation of the process, to tracking my case. Always on time and undamaged. 

For US to UK, I needed to send a detailed list of what was in the case (for customs). For US to Canada, All that was needed was a general letter that said, essentially, it's my stuff. I don't know what's needed for UK to US, but there probably will be paperwork for customs. 

IIRC, there are independent luggage forwarding companies, but if you want it taken directly to the ship, you need to use White Star. 

It's been 3 1/2 years since I've used White Star, so timing and rules may have changed since then. Call and talk to someone at White Star to see what the requirements are for your trip. Also make sure you check on the kind of luggage you may send. For a while they were saying no garment bags. 

I've been communicating with Luggage Forward on and off. This is the company Cunard links you to when you get to their White Star page. (I haven't used them yet, so I can only say they get pretty good ratings.) There's a specific link for LF/Cunard

https://app.luggageforward.com/book/cunard

From there, it appears you simply go to their regular booking process - except it does have a button for "Deliver to Cunard Line". (Or "Pickup from Cunard", if that's the direction you're going.)

FYI, here's an old Consumer Reports article on the topic:

https://www.consumerreports.org/luggage/ship-luggage-ahead-to-destination/

Which contrasts luggage services versus package delivery services, etc.

Just did some test bookings and when I enter UK (Southampton) to US, they need at least a couple week's notice, based on the date you need it delivered. The earliest delivery date I could book was February 22, with a pickup on February 15 - I'm writing this in the late afternoon February 9. They offer either 5 or 7 day international service (business days, that is). (For a domestic US delivery from Cleveland to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, I was able to book express service with a pickup tomorrow, delivery on Friday.) For what it's worth, Cunard's web site used to say "35 days in advance".

NB: They say under their snow advisory: "We recommend scheduling your luggage delivery at least one business day before your arrival, especially in areas commonly affected by winter weather."

You specify a 2 hour home pickup window (this will all be clearer if you enter a test booking). No extra charge for home pickup.

$304 for one standard 50 pound bag UK to US. There's $500 in insurance as part of the price. I can't find it right now, but in the past I noticed you could add insurance relatively cheaply.

You can send golf bags (direct to the course, if you snoop around their site), bicycles and skis, so I'd be surprised if they couldn't handle a garment bag.

I know I previously saw Cunard say that ONLY clothing could be shipped, but this notice seems to have disappeared. LF's rules are pretty much the same as the TSA's, although they strongly discourage sending any sort of liquids.

57 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't believe White Star exists any more.  The last time I used luggage forwarding in 2019 they were working with Luggage Forward:

https://www.luggageforward.com/

I do know that it is quite expensive internationally and there are lots of customs regulations.  If possible I would suggest taking it on the flight and having Luggage Forward pick it up at your first hotel.

The shipper serves as "customs agent," and that's what makes international so expensive. I have done what you suggest, taking the bag with me to London and having the bag picked up from my hotel to go to the ship while I traveled around England. That was considerably cheaper, and no paperwork.

• Like 1

Yes I have used Luggage Forward successfully. From my front door to cabin door no issues. Two large suitcases were $808 as a guide (2019) and that’s one way. There is tracking so you can watch where they go mine had a little holiday in Germany for example and then lay in a store in JFK for a few days. Booked two months ahead and they were picked up around ten days before embarkation day. No damage, contents intact.

Paperwork was posted in advance of departure I don’t recall anything onerous and instructions were clear. Just a matter of sticking labels to the bags and ensuring no prohibited items were packed. DHL were the courier.

One advantage other than being unburdened was there was no need to wait at the airport bag drop nor at the other end for bags to come up from the aircraft so a time saver too. Would do it again once cruising recovers.

It maybe sounds a hefty price but I tend to value convenience over struggle these days.

Hope the summary helps a little. Kind regards Y

• Like 1

Many years ago we used DHL to ship our luggage from PA to the QM2.  It was so easy but a little pricey but sure did make our flight less stressful.  They picked up our luggage at my office during their normal daily pick up one week before we wanted on the ship.  It was in our cabin when we boarded the ship.  At that time I believe it was a little cheaper in the White Star Service.

I’ve used Luggage Forward multiple times and have found them much easier to use than the old White Star service. The last time I used them was in December, when I had my bag shipped to New York to meet the QM2 on January 3. Except as you all know, the QM2 didn’t make it to New York on January 3 - which left me in a momentary panic over the fate of my bag. Happily, thanks to some great customer service, that wasn’t a problem: I called Luggage Forward and they had the bag shipped back to me. I didn’t have to fill out any forms; I didn’t have to pay any extra charges. I found that fairly remarkable. I’d use them again in a heartbeat. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Found this thread via search, as it seems to be the most recent discussion on Luggage Forward. I have a question.

We have a December westbound TA for which we are probably going to want to use this service. I went to their Web site and worked through a booking to see prices, schedules, etc. The only options given for collecting luggage at our home (currently North Carolina, but likely to be different by October...which adds one more level of complexity) to deliver to QM2 were 8 days and 10 days prior to embarkation. Since we are going to be visiting friends and attending an event in the UK before embarkation (assuming all transpires as planned), that is not enough lead time for us for this trip.

Does anyone know whether they can extend the collection date to 18 (or so) days prior to embarkation? 

I have sent an inquiry to the company for this information, too, which I am sure they will answer in ample time to meet our schedule. Just thought someone might already know.

30 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Found this thread via search, as it seems to be the most recent discussion on Luggage Forward. I have a question.

We have a December westbound TA for which we are probably going to want to use this service. I went to their Web site and worked through a booking to see prices, schedules, etc. The only options given for collecting luggage at our home (currently North Carolina, but likely to be different by October...which adds one more level of complexity) to deliver to QM2 were 8 days and 10 days prior to embarkation. Since we are going to be visiting friends and attending an event in the UK before embarkation (assuming all transpires as planned), that is not enough lead time for us for this trip.

Does anyone know whether they can extend the collection date to 18 (or so) days prior to embarkation? 

I have sent an inquiry to the company for this information, too, which I am sure they will answer in ample time to meet our schedule. Just thought someone might already know.

Another option, depending on the luggage allowance for your flight, is to flu with the bag, then ship it to Soton from wherever you will be in the UK. With White Star about 4 years ago, that was less expensive because they didn't have to shepherd the bag through customs. 

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

No answer for you, I'm afraid, but they've been very responsive and well-informed over the phone.

I have used White Star Luggage and later Luggage Forward. Luggage Forward was actually easier. When you ship internationally you have to fill out customs forms which they supply you. You are also asked to value the items. To make it easier. I have a master list I actually use to pack from and I use it to complete the customs forms as well. It makes sure that I have everything I want, and a positive record of what I have sent.

It is expensive, I sent 2 suitcases 50 lbs. each with $3,000. insurance. It was $1,200 Texas to Hamburg and Brooklyn back to Texas with overnight on the homeward leg, but I will add it is well worth the expense. You cannot send electronics or battery powered item in sent luggage. It was picked up about two weeks prior to sailing and in the Suite when we boarded the Queen Mary 2 in Hamburg. There is a drop off in the Terminal in Red Hook in Brooklyn after customs and immigration. On the return. Using this service, makes a vacation a real vacation. 

Here is a wild idea that may or may not work...If you are flying to New York, spend a night at a hotel there that will store your luggage until you return to New York to spend the night before you board the QM2.  We once stored luggage at a hotel in Florida for a week and there was no trouble and no cost.

Also a few years ago we were staying in Berlin and used DHL to ship luggage to the QM2 in Hamburg.  It all went well and was not expensive and saved the impossible hassle of dealing with a large suitcase on a train between Berlin and Hamburg.

• 6 months later...

Reviving a dormant discussion to provide a follow-up to my own question (post #10) and to provide current data for anyone considering this service.

I just booked Luggage Forward for our December Cunard trip. Embarkation is December 10, making this 41 days prior to getting on the ship.  We are spending about three weeks traveling (some in US, mostly in UK) prior to boarding, and another few days after the TA (Christmas at our son's house), so having someone else take care of the formal wear sounded great.

Details, everything in US dollars:

Outbound

(1) Detroit area to Southampton (QM2) = $384 for a standard bag up to 50 lbs (22 kg)

(2) Included insurance coverage = $500. Additional $12 per each additional $500 coverage

(e.g., $1,000 coverage is $12 extra, $1,500 coverage is $24 extra, $2,000 coverage costs $36, and so on. Additional coverage can be booked in increments of $500 only)

(3) Earliest standard timing for collection of the luggage from home was November 28 for a December 10 departure (12 days prior to embarkation). Latest standard timing was (I think...didn't really pay that much attention since it didn't matter to me) 8 or 9 days prior to departure.

(4) Earlier collection is possible. I was able to arrange an earlier date, which ended up being three days prior to our outbound flight. There was an additional charge of $35, since the freight company will now have to store the luggage for several days prior to forwarding it through UK Customs. I booked the service online first, then called to adjust the collection date. This is what they told me to do when I called last Spring. Seemed to work well.

Return

(1) Brooklyn (QM2) to Detroit area = $264 for a standard bag up to 50 lbs (22 kg)

(2) Included insurance coverage = $500. Additional $6 per each additional $500 coverage

(3) Earliest standard timing for delivery of the luggage to home was December 28 for a December 22 arrival. Later times were also available, up to about 8 or 9 days after arrival (as I recall, again, it didn't impact my booking, so it didn't fully register).

Once the reservation is made, you need to enter information relevant to clearing Customs. This consists of passport information, travel schedule giving arrival into and departure from the UK as well as arrival into the US, a packing list, and signature.

The packing list is simplistic: checklist allows you to choose clothing, toiletries, accessories, and/or electronics. Clicking on each brings up a subitem that includes prohibitions (e.g., no new clothes with price tags attached, no aerosols, no prescription medication, no "expensive jewelry," etc.). Whole thing took about three minutes to complete, most of which was sent trying to get a signature to work (laptop using a mouse). One can also click on the "having trouble signing" link and it will add an electronic signature, which you affirm is permissible for Luggage Forward to use as yours. That's what I did after trying three times to make the mouse movement look anything like my signature.

One can also book a smaller bag for less money or a larger bag for more money. I did not note the specific weights nor amounts...I have to leave something for others to find out.

• Like 4

I've used Luggage Forward to pick up a suitcase at the port of Portsmouth on my disembarkation and have the case sent to Australia. The representative of Luggage Forward who met me at Portsmouth was polite and helpful and the service worked perfectly. All email communication during the process was efficient - all questions answered and provision made for my limitations through being on board a ship whilst writing to them.

• Like 1

We just used luggage forward for our return trip on the QM2 from Southampton.  I had asked about early pick up because we would be traveling in the UK before sailing home.  They said sure but when I made the reservation with the early date they said there would be an extra $70 charge for storage.  When I said no thanks we’ll do something else with our luggage, they took off the extra charge.  If it had been a more reasonable amount we might have just paid it.

I would also suggest that you get the tracking number for your shipping labels so you know when they’ll arrive.  We were given different dates and in the end I had to print out the label and stick it to the suitcase with tape I had on hand.  Thankfully it held.

Even with the glitches we had I would use them again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

This strikes me as an excellent time to use Apple Air Tags inside your luggage. That way you can follow your bags along as they travel to meet you. 

We did that.  I could see where it was throughout the journey.

• Like 1