New Promo Deal

mchell810

1 hour ago, azalice said:

I read thru the cruises involved in the new promo but did not see my Sept. 6 France Intensive in the listings. Does that mean that perhaps the cruise is selling well?

6 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That would be my guess.

Ponant has a strict pricing policy:  there is a rack rate; when a new cruise is posted it is 30% off; as cabins sell the discount goes down to 25, 20, etc. until the final few cabins go at rack rate.  This is transparent, fair and IMHO the way all cruise lines should operate.  But: (1) it takes great discipline to 'leave money on the table' from last-minute bottom-feeders; and (2) it is probably in violation of 'truth in pricing' laws because when the 30% discounts are offered no one has paid the rack rate – although I would argue it actually meets the spirit of those laws better than most cruise line pricing (especially the Oceania and Viking River constant '2-for-1' pricing that fools so many newbies).

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ponant has a strict pricing policy:  there is a rack rate; when a new cruise is posted it is 30% off; as cabins sell the discount goes down to 25, 20, etc. until the final few cabins go at rack rate.  This is transparent, fair and IMHO the way all cruise lines should operate.  But: (1) it takes great discipline to 'leave money on the table' from last-minute bottom-feeders; and (2) it is probably in violation of 'truth in pricing' laws because when the 30% discounts are offered no one has paid the rack rate – although I would argue it actually meets the spirit of those laws better than most cruise line pricing (especially the Oceania and Viking River constant '2-for-1' pricing that fools so many newbies).

Host Jazzbeau.  This is the pricing policy adopted by Saga Cruises.  With regard to your warning about "2 for 1" pricing, in 2018 I got a "2 for 1" cruise with Azamara in an oceanview stateroom and it really was the real deal.  Not seen the offer since, though.

I must express my dismay at the term “last minute bottom feeders.” We recently booked with AZ, having cancelled an Antarctic expedition on Viking (we were to leave today). I don’t think I’m a bottom feeder letting 40K+ in credits at another line rest while I book another cruise on AZ for spring. I’m a traveler who must have something in the offing. 🙂

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Harrietq said:

I must express my dismay at the term “last minute bottom feeders.” We recently booked with AZ, having cancelled an Antarctic expedition on Viking (we were to leave today). I don’t think I’m a bottom feeder letting 40K+ in credits at another line rest while I book another cruise on AZ for spring. I’m a traveler who must have something in the offing. 🙂

Glad you are not one of them, but there are such people and the cruise lines are finally figuring out that they don't add to the bottom line. 

I contacted my TA with regard to taking advantage of this promo for an existing, fully-paid-for, cruise.The cruise is included in the list.

My TA spoke on my behalf with Azamara, who advised her that, because the price I have paid is much lower than the current price (in the promo sale), there is no advantage or benefit to me, and that stuff like increased OBC  cannot be applied.

1 hour ago, blag said:

I contacted my TA with regard to taking advantage of this promo for an existing, fully-paid-for, cruise.The cruise is included in the list.

My TA spoke on my behalf with Azamara, who advised her that, because the price I have paid is much lower than the current price (in the promo sale), there is no advantage or benefit to me, and that stuff like increased OBC  cannot be applied.

This is normal. You can't take advantage of new promos without cancelling your existing booking. You said before that you got a good deal on your cabin. I'd just be happy with that. The bottom line cost is more important to me than OBC which can be difficult to spend. I always try to focus on what the cruise is costing my bank account. 

Phil 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

This is normal. You can't take advantage of new promos without cancelling your existing booking. You said before that you got a good deal on your cabin. I'd just be happy with that. The bottom line cost is more important to me than OBC which can be difficult to spend. I always try to focus on what the cruise is costing my bank account. 

Phil 

You live and you learn! 

3 hours ago, blag said:

I rebooked my cruise 2 days before final payment and saved $1500. Lost an upgraded beverage package, but kept the $1000 OBC, so we’ll worth it.

2 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Most of the cruises I have looked at still have excessive high prices.   Is it possible for some of the posters to mention a cruise by ship and date where there are great prices.  Don’t want the price just the cruise.

I think where you live is a factor with promotions. Here in the US, you can go to the website and search for cruises with the current promotion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I think where you live is a factor with promotions. Here in the US, you can go to the website and search for cruises with the current promotion.

Here in Italy I see the cruises included in the promotion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Phil hit it on the head - there's some wording somewhere in the web fine print saying that the promotion can be applied to an existing booking, but that you need to treat it as a complete rebooking. But the good news is that both currently running promotions for this cruise (US anyways) can be applied.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Most of the cruises I have looked at still have excessive high prices.   Is it possible for some of the posters to mention a cruise by ship and date where there are great prices.  Don’t want the price just the cruise.

There are some good prices on spring 22 Mediterranean cruises - for example Greece Intensive  May 26th Quest & Spain Intensive May 8th Journey.

19 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Have a look at Onward, both the 10th and 20th July cruises. Last time I looked they were good prices. 

Phil 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Have a look at Onward, both the 10th and 20th July cruises. Last time I looked they were good prices. 

Phil 

Agreed.  Booked the 10 July cruise yesterday and looking forward to seeing the Onwards transformation.  

Had originally booked on the Journey 3 weeks prior (90% the same itinerary) but very advantageously moved under the “cruise with confidence” guarantee.

Regards

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, mchell810 said:

I am posting this since others have done so in the past to my benefit.  The new promo, effective Feb. 8 -- 22nd, is for $1000 OBC and "up to 30% off" and seems to only be for cruises through November of this year.  I already had the price drop and $500 OBC from Azamara's last promo; so I they added the difference, rather than an additional $1000 (fine by me).  I hope others can take advantage.

This is running in the US -- I don't know if it applies elsewhere.

yes - Azamara newbie here - I booked yesterday and received the discount (I think) and $1000 USD onboard credit.  Didnt use a TA booked on the Azamara website.

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

yes - Azamara newbie here - I booked yesterday and received the discount (I think) and $1000 USD onboard credit.  Didnt use a TA booked on the Azamara website.

So the good news is: you still have time to transfer this booking to a TA after finding one who will split their commission with you.

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So the good news is: you still have time to transfer this booking to a TA after finding one who will split their commission with you.

Thanks but like others that are outside the US I have had previous problems with TA's not refunding me when  my fares have been refunded to them - or keeping a ($300 AUD) cancellation fee for cruises that were cancelled and refunded in full. So I choose to book directly with any flights/cruises/land tours that I do. They even charged me a cancellation fee (again same TA same cost $300 AUD) for a flight that was $150 and sent me a bill !!!.  So once bitten (or twice in my case) twice shy as they say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Janet&Carl said:

Thanks but like others that are outside the US I have had previous problems with TA's not refunding me when  my fares have been refunded to them - or keeping a ($300 AUD) cancellation fee for cruises that were cancelled and refunded in full. So I choose to book directly with any flights/cruises/land tours that I do. They even charged me a cancellation fee (again same TA same cost $300 AUD) for a flight that was $150 and sent me a bill !!!.  So once bitten (or twice in my case) twice shy as they say.

Understood (although I didn't know it extented to OZ TAs).  But many non-US cruisers book through US TAs in order to get the benefits (rebates plus the certainty of knowing the TA puts your credit card info direct to the cruise line).

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Understood (although I didn't know it extented to OZ TAs).  But many non-US cruisers book through US TAs in order to get the benefits (rebates plus the certainty of knowing the TA puts your credit card info direct to the cruise line).

But then carry a currency risk -  a mugs game for me!.  Once booked in one currency you cannot transfer your booking to another country.  Janet&Carl - you have done the right thing in the current situation given you are not US based.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

But then carry a currency risk -  a mugs game for me!.  Once booked in one currency you cannot transfer your booking to another country.  Janet&Carl - you have done the right thing in the current situation given you are not US based.

lol that is yet to be seen - I booked a Black Sea Cruise and I just read some threads where people are cancelling !!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

Not convinced about the currency risk!

The loss arising from fluctuations in exchange rates for bookings in the short-term may be less than the benefits of discounts etc. Maybe not 'a mugs game'.

As I said, before anyone jumps down my throat, maybe

3 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

lol that is yet to be seen - I booked a Black Sea Cruise and I just read some threads where people are cancelling !!!!

The Black Sea cruises might get changes so all the more reason to be booked direct rather than be delayed in getting information from a travel agent.  Direct bookers get direct communications, those who book through an agency in many countries have their communications passed through their agent and I have experienced delays in over two weeks before it was passed to me when I used an agency.  

• Like 1