Suite guarantee and suite without drink package questions

micmacmissy

Looking at Apex in April:

So we are looking at booking either a sky suite without the extra perks OR a suite guarantee without perks.

If we book one of those...do we still get drinks included in the retreat lounge and on retreat sundeck?

We don't drink a ton so I don't mind paying a la carte - but wondering about the lounges.

If we book a suite guarantee, am I correct in assuming there are no BAD sky suites on Apex?

Thanks in advance!

Drinks are complimentary in the Retreat lounge.   Unless it's changed or different on Edge class ships they are not complementary on the sundeck or Luminae (or anywhere else on the ship).

I don't think finding seating on the sundeck is ever an issue as there is not a lot of shade so not many people spend lots of time in the sun.

I've never been concerned about a bad suite and am always comfortable taking a GTY if the savings are worth it.  Worst would probably be an accessible suite, the accessible features seem to bother some people that don't need them.

Edited by wrk2cruise

check the difference in price between the guarantee and regular pricing.  Add to the guarantee price the $19 per person per day for gratuities,  Internet if you need it, the amount you may spend on drinks, specialty dining and excursions.  The regular price includes the gratuties, wi-fi and a good amount of OBC in addition to beverages.  Some times the difference is minimal.

• Like 1

You get drinks in the drinks lounge but not on the Retreat Sun Deck.

I have done guarantees before and best I can say is expect the worst and be happy with what you get.   I got a Corner A1 once but last time I got a S2 Accessible.    I just got assigned an S2 Accessible again on a Cruise to Greenland in August  took about 3 months before a room was assigned. 

The thing to consider on the included or not is to keep in mind it isn't just the drink package.   Factor in the Gratuities and Internet and decide if it makes sense for you.

Edited by Jim_Iain

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You get drinks in the drinks lounge but not on the Retreat Sun Deck.

I have done guarantees before and best I can say is expect the worst and be happy with what you get.   I got a Corner A1 once but last time I got a S2 Accessible.    I just got assigned an S2 Accessible again on a Cruise to Greenland in August  took about 3 months before a room was assigned. 

The thing to consider on the included or not is to keep in mind it isn't just the drink package.   Factor in the Gratuities and Internet and decide if it makes sense for you.

Thanks!  We've never sailed in a suite before, so I think we will be happy regardless!  The difference between Suite guarantee and a sky suite is $2,000.  At that price I can pay for drinks!

3 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Thanks!  We've never sailed in a suite before, so I think we will be happy regardless!  The difference between Suite guarantee and a sky suite is $2,000.  At that price I can pay for drinks!

Agree I would also.  We are Zenith's and get most perks except Tips free so I shop for the No Perks.   Another good savings could be to check the price for refundable vs non-reundable.   I often book a Refundable until close to Final and then shift to Non-Refundable. 

For comfort level.  I can give you about a 98% guarantee that your Suite Guarantee will be a Sky Suite and probably a S2.    With the Bid up program they usually free up some with upgrades to higher level suites. 

11 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Even at that difference I would seriously think hard about your spending. Going with a guarantee you would get $600 in OBC, an extra $100 from Celebrity, probably $500ish in OBC if you use a TA, $266 in gratuities included, prem drinks and faster WiFi. If you get onboard and cut loose with spending like many people do, or order an extra drink here and there, it’s going to add up very quickly. 

We did suite without drink package a few years ago, it was a charter and they wanted almost 70 a day for the drink package, had no problem just getting drinks from suite lounge, remember you can take two bottles of wine in board, they will charge you 25 corkage if they open it in a restaurant.

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree I would also.  We are Zenith's and get most perks except Tips free so I shop for the No Perks.   Another good savings could be to check the price for refundable vs non-reundable.   I often book a Refundable until close to Final and then shift to Non-Refundable. 

For comfort level.  I can give you about a 98% guarantee that your Suite Guarantee will be a Sky Suite and probably a S2.    With the Bid up program they usually free up some with upgrades to higher level suites. 

I just checked on this and found out that going NRF was going to save me $20.  it must be due to all the FCC's and being on a TA.  Anyway, it was quite a shock, since my cruise was 9 months away.

I'm glad someone mentioned the OBC. That's not chump change. Neither are the wifi package and gratuities. 

You still might come out ahead with the guarantee, especially with a much of a difference as you've mentioned, but not by as much as you think. An extra drink here and there, and you might wind up behind. 

We booked a Suite Guarantee on Apex for this April as well at a substantial savings with no perks. It was close to $3K in savings. We don't drink so it was a no-brainer for us. We ended up getting assigned an S1 Corner Aft suite, I couldn't believe it! I pre-paid the gratuities so I didn't have to think about it. 

3 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Don't be afraid to be upfront with your Butler and state you don't have a drink package and would like to confirm what's complementary and what's chargeable.  We did just that on our Dec. Apex cruise in a Sky Suite WITHOUT a Drinks Package. The butler remunerated that all waters (Including premium), soft drinks and beer in the in-room bar were complementary but the spirits and wine are chargeable.  There's a complementary sparkling wine in the room and the butler can provide one complimentary bottle of wine. The Butler can deliver complementary premium coffee and tea to the cabin. At Luminae Premium bottled water is complementary, all alcohol and premium coffee and tea (Premium coffee free at breakfast) are chargeable. Elite Happy Hour and Elite+ Premium coffee and tea benefits don't apply in Luminae or the Retreat Lounge. At the Retreat Sundeck all soft drinks, water(including premium), and premium coffee and tea are complementary, any alcohol is chargeable, 

• Like 1

As to the chair hog question….  If you want to be by the Retreat pool, yes you could very well have a problem, we did pre-pandemic (2/20) on the Edge.  If you simply want a lounger in the outdoor retreat area not at the pool you should have no problem at all.   All this is assuming the Apex Retreat area is similar to the Edge.  I can’t wait to find out next month!  

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I'm glad someone mentioned the OBC. That's not chump change. Neither are the wifi package and gratuities. 

You still might come out ahead with the guarantee, especially with a much of a difference as you've mentioned, but not by as much as you think. An extra drink here and there, and you might wind up behind. 

I just realized that the guaranteed booking DOES have wifi, tips, drink pkg, and $600 OBC.  My travel agent is throwing in another $750 OBC.  So that is no longer a problem!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

As to the chair hog question….  If you want to be by the Retreat pool, yes you could very well have a problem, we did pre-pandemic (2/20) on the Edge.  If you simply want a lounger in the outdoor retreat area not at the pool you should have no problem at all.   All this is assuming the Apex Retreat area is similar to the Edge.  I can’t wait to find out next month!  

This is good to know!  I *detest* the chair hog game.  I don't need to be right near the pool - just need a good comfy nook to relax in!  On our past Celebrity cruises, we really liked the solarium too.

1 minute ago, micmacmissy said:

This is good to know!  I *detest* the chair hog game.  I don't need to be right near the pool - just need a good comfy nook to relax in!  On our past Celebrity cruises, we really liked the solarium too.

You should have no problem finding a quiet comfortable lounger in the Retreat area, we never did and the ship was at capacity.  Occasionally we did get adjacent loungers by the pool but not often.  We really enjoy the solarium too.  

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting, I just did a mock booking for a B2B2B2B I already have booked.  I just wanted to get a sense of this GTY concept.  I was looking aft Sunset Suites, I could do one where I selct the room AI, the other was also Sunset and it was only guarantee, none of the perks included, but was the exact same price.  However, when I went to do the GTY booking final step, it showed $400/pp OBC, drinks, WiFi and grats.  Perhaps Celebrity's wonky website.  I've got time on my hands right now, so just for fun going to call CSR and see what they offer.

58 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

I just realized that the guaranteed booking DOES have wifi, tips, drink pkg, and $600 OBC.  My travel agent is throwing in another $750 OBC.  So that is no longer a problem!

Double check and get that in writing from the TA (the GTY including perks).  I know it's possible that's what's being offered it's just very unusual right now that perks are included with GTY rates.  A 2k discount for only taking a GTY cabin assignment is a no brainer!

• Like 1