Regent Dress Code

sabrefan

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Perhaps not.  I am a retired pilot.  My flying skills are my flying skills, whether I show up in my double breasted "Navy" style uniform complete with 4 stripes and Captain's hat, neatly shaved and hair (what's left of it), and well groomed.  OR I show up in flip flops, t-shirt (wife beater type) with some "message" on it, soccer shorts, 5 day old beard and disheveled hair that hasn't been combed or cut in months or more.  I'm still the same pilot.  Question is, will YOU get on my airplane?  And if you say I won't matter to you, I'm throwing up the B.S. Flag!  Of course it matters. The way people appear, including grooming and dress, makes a definite impression on others. It's simply a fact of our society.  

Also,,, and no one seems to mention this, A lot of people feel "I paid for this cruise, I should be able to dress as I wish." Well,  I ALSO paid for the cruise, and I paid for it with full expectation of experiencing the cruise Regent advertises.  So, just like I should have equal rights to a deck chair, no smoking in public areas or balconies,  expect excellent service, cleanliness of spaces, shore excursions, food, and drink,  I also have an expectation of decorum and ambiance.  That includes the PUBLISHED dress code.  I paid just as much with the "promise" that people will be dressed to a certain level after 6 pm.  This is CLEAR (no confusion on my part anyway) and part of  the "experience" I chose and paid for.  So, doesn't matter why I care, what matters is this is part of why I chose Regent.  

This....and it is Regent's job to enforce it, not ours. The only thing more annoying than a person ignoring the rules is another guest thinking they are the self-appointed Regent Police. I am NOT referring to you - I agree with you - I just think Regent needs to enforce the rules they publish. 

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

This....and it is Regent's job to enforce it, not ours. The only thing more annoying than a person ignoring the rules is another guest thinking they are the self-appointed Regent Police. I am NOT referring to you - I agree with you - I just think Regent needs to enforce the rules they publish. 

I've seen Regent enforce the dress code. And I agree they should enforce ALL rules, including the dreaded lounge chair hogging.  I'm not a "pick and choose" type,  I don't pick lounge chair hogging to enforce and ignore dress codes.  But as a reasonable adult I also don't believe people should put an employee in the extremely awkward position of having to admonish and "explain" to them the published rules.  And honestly, the term "dress police" is insulting,  Just like someone who points out to someone that smoking on the balcony is forbidden isn't the "smoking police."  And they aren't "self appointed," they're actually backed by the Dress Code.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I've seen Regent enforce the dress code. And I agree they should enforce ALL rules, including the dreaded lounge chair hogging.  I'm not a "pick and choose" type,  I don't pick lounge chair hogging to enforce and ignore dress codes.  But as a reasonable adult I also don't believe people should put an employee in the extremely awkward position of having to admonish and "explain" to them the published rules.  And honestly, the term "dress police" is insulting,  Just like someone who points out to someone that smoking on the balcony is forbidden isn't the "smoking police."  And they aren't "self appointed," they're actually backed by the Dress Code.  

I am not trying to be insulting to anyone but people who think that standards in excess of the Dress Code fit my description as do people who tell other guests that they are improperly dressed. I agree with you that Regent should enforce all their rules...and the enforcement of the Dress Code could be more consistent. Lastly, I agree that we all have a responsibility to adhere to the rules and people who do not should get a warning and then be put off. It appears the only thing we don't agree on is who tells another guest they are violating the rules - I think this job falls on Regent. I obviously have no issue if a guest calls the front desk and tells a crew member that someone is smoking on their balcony - that just makes sense as it is a safety issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

It appears the only thing we don't agree on is who tells another guest they are violating the rules - I think this job falls on Regent.

Actually we don't disagree on this.  I completely agree it falls on Regent, particularly supervisors.  I just don't like labelling people. Well I do...but only to my wife....who usually tells me to "zip it." 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Perhaps not.  I am a retired pilot.  My flying skills are my flying skills, whether I show up in my double breasted "Navy" style uniform complete with 4 stripes and Captain's hat, neatly shaved and hair (what's left of it), and well groomed.  OR I show up in flip flops, t-shirt (wife beater type) with some "message" on it, soccer shorts, 5 day old beard and disheveled hair that hasn't been combed or cut in months or more.  I'm still the same pilot.  Question is, will YOU get on my airplane?  And if you say I won't matter to you, I'm throwing up the B.S. Flag!  Of course it matters. The way people appear, including grooming and dress, makes a definite impression on others. It's simply a fact of our society.  

Also,,, and no one seems to mention this, A lot of people feel "I paid for this cruise, I should be able to dress as I wish." Well,  I ALSO paid for the cruise, and I paid for it with full expectation of experiencing the cruise Regent advertises.  So, just like I should have equal rights to a deck chair, no smoking in public areas or balconies,  expect excellent service, cleanliness of spaces, shore excursions, food, and drink,  I also have an expectation of decorum and ambiance.  That includes the PUBLISHED dress code.  I paid just as much with the "promise" that people will be dressed to a certain level after 6 pm.  This is CLEAR (no confusion on my part anyway) and part of  the "experience" I chose and paid for.  So, doesn't matter why I care, what matters is this is part of why I chose Regent.  

I'm in violent agreement.  It does matter what people wear and how they behave.  I just don't think dressing affects behavior as it applies to regent. 

Rules set by the ship should be followed AND enforced.  But I don't think the style of dress influences behavior; people can dress up and behave badly we have all seen that.  I don't go to restaurants that don't enforce dress codes or some of the clientele have very bad interpretations of the dress code.   For example, I went to Brenner's on the Bayou and Mastros in Houston, there was so much (flabby) skin on display and clothes that looked like thy came out of dumpster and they had no manners but lots of entitlement.   I lost my appetite. Money doesn't equal good behavior or good dress. Conversely people can be causal (during the day) and behave according to the rules.   

Without being political, I'm glad the senate enforced its dress code and for the respect of the office and institution.    I hope Regent keeps their code like it is and enforces it for the same reasons.  I can choose to dress nice, and I have noticed that if you dress nice the staff appreciates (it another topic for sure.) When I was younger, I had to put on a suit all the time and when I went on vacation - I really didn't feel like dressing up.  Now dressing up is a treat or maybe I should say I'm in for a treat.  There will always be someone who disregards the rules even if you dress them up and that is bad behavior.  You can put lipstick on a pig....

Now would I fly on that plane, well that depends. I assume Delta wouldn't have allowed you to fly it if there wasn't a good reason for instance you were on vacation in St. Lucia and didn't have a uniform, you got a call that one of the Pilots on the flight leaving in 3 hours became ill and they had to get that plane back.   Unlikely but it certainly wouldn't be a pattern.

• Like 1

I think it should be pointed out that when you go on a Regent cruise (or SS SB any luxury line) you expect to have a classy cruise experience and hopefully Regent staff do enforce the rules to make it such for all.  Of course, there are those that don't follow the rules and should be, as mentioned above nicely correct or warned and if they continue then there are consequences.  It is why I choose these lines.  Not looking down on the other lines, but I don't expect the same experience nor clientele.  Don't misjudge me, I can fit in anywhere, from the manufacturing floor to the front office, a black tie affair or a redneck bar.  However, I don't expect to discuss Voltaire at the Icehouse nor do I expect that there might be a bar fight at the Oscars (eye roll.)  

RIP Toby Keith

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I assume Delta wouldn't have allowed you to fly it if there wasn't a good reason for instance you were on vacation in St. Lucia and didn't have a uniform, you got a call that one of the Pilots on the flight leaving in 3 hours became ill and they had to get that plane back. 

Correct.  But that's my point.  Delta enforces the Pilot uniform because it impacts business...i.e. how the passenger feels.  In fact when I was flying actively they did a study regarding the double breasted coat and the pilot's hat.  They found that the double breasted coat, because it basically has to be buttoned, and the wearing of the hat created a higher level of passenger confidence rather than the other option.  So it stayed. No joke...they really did the study and those were the conclusions.  So... according to Delta, "dress" does make a difference.  

Anyway, probably beat this "dead horse" enough. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 2:48 PM, Bossa Nova said:
  • What people wear affects how they behave.
  • If someone says we shouldn't care what they or others wear, what they really mean is, we shouldn't care how they or others behave.
  • It is absurd to tell people that they shouldn't care how others behave on a Regent cruise.

Maybe this is true in with your circle of friends, but definitely not the case with mine.  My friends behave how they want to behave regardless of what they are wearing.

The thought of clothing dictating behavior is simply incomprehensible to me.  I hope I'm never so easily influenced as to be a different person behaviorally solely based upon how I'm dressed.    

The really funny thing to me is that people can wear antiquated crap and meet the dress code, but folks dressing with a bit of modern flair are potentially criticized. 

I'm sure folks resisting changes in dress codes over the years have said similar things to no avail.  Dress changes, as does most things, over time.      

• Like 1

I did see on the news that a Norwegian ship was doing a nude cruise to the Caribbean.  I definingly have not desire to be on this cruise, but it opens a whole bunch of questions about dress code.    

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

I did see on the news that a Norwegian ship was doing a nude cruise to the Caribbean.  I definingly have not desire to be on this cruise, but it opens a whole bunch of questions about dress code.    

Main cruise lines run nude charters all the time. We had a friend working on Azamara who used to tell us stories that you would not believe.

• Haha 2

On 5/1/2024 at 8:49 AM, papaflamingo said:

papa, I couldn't agree more.  Our entire society seems to be full of self-righteous, entitled people who feel that their 'rights' or 'feelings' outrank societal norms and the rights of everyone else they come in contact with.  Okay, maybe not 'full', but definitely a growing number of 'em.

I'll admit that I tend to the lower end of the dress code on board (slacks and Tommy Bahama shirts, usually) but I always comply with the dress code.  Things would just be so much easier if people could read the requirements, understand the requirement, and adhere to the requirements.  But maybe that's just the mindset of someone who spent 20 years in uniform, who knows?

Oh, and the only way I'd get on your plane with your sporting your disheveled look over your buttoned down Captain look is if the buttoned down Captain was obviously hammered.  😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Breckski said:

The really funny thing to me is that people can wear antiquated crap and meet the dress code, but folks dressing with a bit of modern flair are potentially criticized. 

I'm sure folks resisting changes in dress codes over the years have said similar things to no avail.  Dress changes, as does most things, over time.      

We should bring back Hooped skirts corsets and petticoats for the ladies and men should were laced ruff or jabot and lace shirts though it might be hard to navigate the halls in hooped skirts let alone compass rose.    But it would be cool if they had a masquerade night during carnival.  

image.jpeg.e50506d1e5359c08490ed5587212e24f.jpeg

On 5/2/2024 at 12:15 PM, Lonedaddy said:

We should bring back Hooped skirts corsets and petticoats for the ladies and men should were laced ruff or jabot and lace shirts though it might be hard to navigate the halls in hooped skirts let alone compass rose.    But it would be cool if they had a masquerade night during carnival.  

I was thinking the tights on the men would be entertaining! 

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2024 at 11:15 AM, Lonedaddy said:

I would be quite happy to comply with your proposed dress code revision. However, if Security won't permit the wearing of a rapier, I don't see a reason to bother with the rest. 😆

Ren-Faire.thumb.jpg.b3d094c9a65b690a44eab6571c7611b3.jpg

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

I would be quite happy to comply with your proposed dress code revision. However, if Security won't permit the wearing of a rapier, I don't see a reason to bother with the rest. 😆

Sounds like a good idea for a themed cruise, I’m in!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, no1talks said:

A little late period for me, but I’m in.  I have a lot more outfits that meet this dress code than the actual RSSC one, so it would be fairly easy.  LOL.  We frequently make the joke that all our formal wear is about 800 years out of date…IYKYK (SCA.org)

Edited by bookbabe
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I initially wrote on this thread concerning the acceptability of Jeans in the evening on a Regent cruise.  I was bringing slacks to wear at night but my partner was considering to wear black "jeans" which were custom made and fit well along with a sport coat.  I have a pair of black "All Saints" brand "jeans" which are quite nice looking and can be worn for business casual.  But I opted not to bring them.  This was my first cruise on Regent so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be asked to change or not look as presentable as everyone else. There were many responses here as to why those "jeans" shouldn't be worn and why don't I just follow the rules.  I have just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Explorer.  Honestly I was a bit disappointed and astonished as to what people were wearing in the evening.  Compared to many my partner in his "jeans" and sport coat looked like he was in formal attire!  Now maybe the first evening, although it was a regular elegant casual evening, maybe they were a bit more lax since maybe some people didn't have time to unpack everything.  But some people to me were just pathetic looking, I'm sorry to say, so very casual with their frumpy oversize blue jeans and ragged tennis shoes.  I was a bit shocked really!  For the rest of the cruise it was better, but there were still some blue jeans and some overly casual looks for both men and women.  I wished I had brought my "All Saints" jeans!!  I don't consider a Polo type shirt on the dressy side especially if collared shirts are required.  Some in those collared polo shirts were just too casual maybe because it fit too loosely.  But it's just my opinion.  Kudos to the one couple I would give "best dressed" to as he had on a tux and she an evening gown! Classy. In any case the cruise experience on Regent was wonderful.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lmsguy said:

I initially wrote on this thread concerning the acceptability of Jeans in the evening on a Regent cruise.  I was bringing slacks to wear at night but my partner was considering to wear black "jeans" which were custom made and fit well along with a sport coat.  I have a pair of black "All Saints" brand "jeans" which are quite nice looking and can be worn for business casual.  But I opted not to bring them.  This was my first cruise on Regent so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be asked to change or not look as presentable as everyone else. There were many responses here as to why those "jeans" shouldn't be worn and why don't I just follow the rules.  I have just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Explorer.  Honestly I was a bit disappointed and astonished as to what people were wearing in the evening.  Compared to many my partner in his "jeans" and sport coat looked like he was in formal attire!  Now maybe the first evening, although it was a regular elegant casual evening, maybe they were a bit more lax since maybe some people didn't have time to unpack everything.  But some people to me were just pathetic looking, I'm sorry to say, so very casual with their frumpy oversize blue jeans and ragged tennis shoes.  I was a bit shocked really!  For the rest of the cruise it was better, but there were still some blue jeans and some overly casual looks for both men and women.  I wished I had brought my "All Saints" jeans!!  I don't consider a Polo type shirt on the dressy side especially if collared shirts are required.  Some in those collared polo shirts were just too casual maybe because it fit too loosely.  But it's just my opinion.  Kudos to the one couple I would give "best dressed" to as he had on a tux and she an evening gown! Classy. In any case the cruise experience on Regent was wonderful.  

Our first cruise on Regent was an Alaska cruise, and we were prepared for the dress code which was described as Country Club Casual (now Elegant Casual). On our cruise, well fitting  jeans not made of blue denim, and a sports jacket would have been much better than what almost all men wore to dinner. They were still allowed into the dining room for dinner, but they had to remove their caps. And their dirty white sneakers that they had worn on their excursion that day were acceptable. There wasn't a formal optional night due to the length of the cruise. I think we might have been the only ones onboard that could have met that dress code.

On all of our Regent cruises since then, I wear a dress or a blouse and fancy pants (most of which I've bought in the boutique on Regent), and he wears a tropical shirt and dress pants on some nights, and dress pants with a dress shirt and sports jacket on other nights. On the last night, a polo shirt and shorts are allowed, but I still wear a pair of fancy pants, with a more casual matching silky t-shirt.

We took a cruise on Silver Sea back in 2018, and it required much more formal wear. While we never did the tux and gown, a suit and cocktail dress were expected on formal nights. As an alternative, we had a Silver Suite where we could comfortably be served dinner, which we did a few times since my brother was with us in his own cabin, and refused to wear a suit since he was on vacation.

On 5/13/2024 at 2:16 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Our first cruise on Regent was an Alaska cruise, and we were prepared for the dress code which was described as Country Club Casual (now Elegant Casual). On our cruise, well fitting  jeans not made of blue denim, and a sports jacket would have been much better than what almost all men wore to dinner. They were still allowed into the dining room for dinner, but they had to remove their caps. And their dirty white sneakers that they had worn on their excursion that day were acceptable. There wasn't a formal optional night due to the length of the cruise. I think we might have been the only ones onboard that could have met that dress code.

On all of our Regent cruises since then, I wear a dress or a blouse and fancy pants (most of which I've bought in the boutique on Regent), and he wears a tropical shirt and dress pants on some nights, and dress pants with a dress shirt and sports jacket on other nights. On the last night, a polo shirt and shorts are allowed, but I still wear a pair of fancy pants, with a more casual matching silky t-shirt.

We took a cruise on Silver Sea back in 2018, and it required much more formal wear. While we never did the tux and gown, a suit and cocktail dress were expected on formal nights. As an alternative, we had a Silver Suite where we could comfortably be served dinner, which we did a few times since my brother was with us in his own cabin, and refused to wear a suit since he was on vacation.

main-qimg-d41921a45bc972a1ff425f1cd654cda2-lq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was drawn to this thread as we're at an early stage of considering a Regent cruise (as a change from Oceania). Seems to me that Regent has a very straightforward and easily understood dress code, with which I'll have no problem complying, wearing chinos and polo shirt. That's my standard wear for a "nice restaurant" at home and has worked for Oceania. I have no problem with any business setting whatever dress code it wishes and, so long as it's clear (as it is here), I can then decide if I want to give them my custom. For example, I do not go to restaurants at home that require/request jackets. Fortunately, these are very few and none are in my home region (not even the Michelin 3* place). 

• Like 1

Our favourite Cornish hotel has an “expectation that guests change for dinner”. We love it as it makes dinner and pre dinner cocktails an event. I pack my favourite frocks and jackets expected for men with most wearing ties also.

I’ll be packing those same frocks for my cruise. I dress for myself not others! 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 12:37 PM, Breckski said:

The thought of clothing dictating behavior is simply incomprehensible to me.  

Actually, it has been shown scientifically to occur - it's called "enclothed cognition"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harters said:

I was drawn to this thread as we're at an early stage of considering a Regent cruise (as a change from Oceania). Seems to me that Regent has a very straightforward and easily understood dress code, with which I'll have no problem complying, wearing chinos and polo shirt. That's my standard wear for a "nice restaurant" at home and has worked for Oceania. I have no problem with any business setting whatever dress code it wishes and, so long as it's clear (as it is here), I can then decide if I want to give them my custom. For example, I do not go to restaurants at home that require/request jackets. Fortunately, these are very few and none are in my home region (not even the Michelin 3* place). 

When you say, "polo shirt", do you mean the knit short-sleeve shirt most wear for golf or tennis? Yes, it is collared.

48 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

When you say, "polo shirt", do you mean the knit short-sleeve shirt most wear for golf or tennis? Yes, it is collared.

they were once but I think polo shirts are way past shirts only worn for golf or tennis. There are many different fabrics and designs, some that are quite "smart". I would certainly always include a nice polo under the group of "collared shirts"