Queen Victoria cruises cancelled up until 5 June 2022

richard_london

Just received an email, as I'm sure have many others about this:

...ahead of her scheduled return to sailing, Queen Victoria is currently located in Barbados. She will be staying in the Caribbean for longer than planned before her dry-dock and will now return to full service on 5 June 2022 with her existing itineraries from this date. As a result, we are sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled.

I am booked on the Queen Victoria British Isles cruise that was due to sail on 24th May 2022.

I've had an email from Cunard to advise me that this cruise will no longer sail.  This is because QV will be remaining in the Caribbean for longer than expected, and will then need to go in for a dry dock. Her scheduled return to passenger service is now 5th June 2022.

I have been offered 110% FCC, but will take a full refund instead, as I feel the need to draw a line under this - I made my original booking back in October 2019.

A mixture of feelings - mostly deflation, as we had begun to plan what excursions we wanted to do. But also some relief, as I have been concerned that Cunard may withdraw Covid mitigations. 

But, such is life these days. 

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for you Dermotsgirl. That was the cruise we had booked and paid in full for. The red banner on my Cunard account is extremely healthy given all the FCC we've accrued on all our cancelled sailings. Our approach is, it's a better return than any savings account and as we have every intention of sailing with Cunard for the foreseeable future on  QE/QV, we've transferred the booking to another for later this year. 

It is SO frustrating but, more chance for  Covid to be less of a problem I suppose and the good news is, we will be able to take part in the street party our neighbours are planning for the Jubilee weekend. Got to find some positives somewhere. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kohl1957 said:

We booked QV's wonderful sounding Central Mediterranean Cruise (19 days Oct 2023) whilst aboard and were amused that no fewer than three other couples in the Grill Lounge said they had done the same thing!

Make that two more bookings from the Grills Lounge!  I and my friend Phil & his partner both booked this one as well.  For us, it will replace a missed Venice trip in 2021.  If the weather is as good as we've just had, I'll be very happy. 

1 hour ago, kohl1957 said:

What a disappointment... it never seems to end. So sorry for those "put on the beach" yet again. 

QUEEN VICTORIA is a real favourite and it was swell to see her join us at Barbados.  Many QM2 crew are "QVs" and look forward to returning.  She looked "OK" but yes needs a comprehensive drydocking for sure.  There was quite a bit of pealing or primed paint sections along her balconies and her waterline shows how long it's been since she was out of the water. Stephen Payne told me that 146 tons of barnacles were removed from QM2's hull at Brest and QV will probably have more by May.  

We booked QV's wonderful sounding Central Mediterranean Cruise (19 days Oct 2023) whilst aboard and were amused that no fewer than three other couples in the Grill Lounge said they had done the same thing!

Here is QUEEN VICTORIA alongside at Barbados on 26 January.

1-IMG_8686.JPG

I have also booked that cruise and it was quite a lot dearer than other cruises I think it is a very popular cruise I have been trying to get on Queen Victoria for a few years 

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have been offered 110% FCC, but will take a full refund instead, as I feel the need to draw a line under this - I made my original booking back in October 2019.

I came to the same decision too.  I booked my cruise back in December 2020.  Think that is the same one that si_boy was booked on.  It was just before Christmas so it was a little present to myself after a rotten year. Not booking anything else with Cunard in 2022 until all ships are back in service.  Have booked one for 2023 and shifted two 2022 cruises to 2023 because I don't have much confidence with this situation (since they were QV voyages).

I understand the QV is being used to house crew, so they can rotate crew from other ships, and potentially those with Covid which is understandable but why the Victoria?

What I don't get is Carnival has just announced two of their old ships are going for scrap.  Why on earth do they not use one of those and get the QV back into service quicker?  The Sensation was in warm lay-up so could easily have been deployed to replace the QV.  Then the QV would be back in service earning money for Cunard.

I feel it is a bit disrespectful to the Victoria and to Cunard's customers to have done this, when there seems other options for fulfilling the Victoria's role at the moment. 

• Like 3

Our communication from "the big" travel agent states quite clearly that the cancellation is due to Covid.  It is mentioned twice.   I suspect that is wrong and the other explanation is right.

This cruise was very expensive for a round Britain one but it was what we wanted.

Oh well, never mind.

This is the second time a booked cruise has been cancelled and cruises starting the day we were supposed to get back [Aug 7th Staycation QE] so I  am doubly gutted but could this be due to dry dock  availability?

Either way, like exlondoner, we have been lucky enough to transfer to another later this year but the cabins will be booking up fast and at a bit of a premium.

17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

This is the second time a booked cruise has been cancelled and cruises starting the day we were supposed to get back [Aug 7th Staycation QE] so I  am doubly gutted but could this be due to dry dock  availability?

Either way, like exlondoner, we have been lucky enough to transfer to another later this year but the cabins will be booking up fast and at a bit of a premium.

Our experience is exactly the same. We were on that staycation cruise. For some reason it makes it especially infuriating. However, we have got cruises to look forward to, and we are lucky to be able to cruise at all, so calm and optimism are required.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

What a disappointment... it never seems to end. So sorry for those "put on the beach" yet again. 

QUEEN VICTORIA is a real favourite and it was swell to see her join us at Barbados.  Many QM2 crew are "QVs" and look forward to returning.  She looked "OK" but yes needs a comprehensive drydocking for sure.  There was quite a bit of pealing or primed paint sections along her balconies and her waterline shows how long it's been since she was out of the water. Stephen Payne told me that 146 tons of barnacles were removed from QM2's hull at Brest and QV will probably have more by May.  

Here is QUEEN VICTORIA alongside at Barbados on 26 January.

1-IMG_8686.JPG

Make that 4

6 hours ago, richard_london said:

What I don't get is Carnival has just announced two of their old ships are going for scrap.  Why on earth do they not use one of those and get the QV back into service quicker?  The Sensation was in warm lay-up so could easily have been deployed to replace the QV.  Then the QV would be back in service earning money for Cunard.

I feel it is a bit disrespectful to the Victoria and to Cunard's customers to have done this, when there seems other options for fulfilling the Victoria's role at the moment. 

Why rush to get another ship back in service if the others are not filling even their reduced capacity?  If those 1/2 empty ships are running at a loss there is zero sense in making the loss larger by bringing back another ship to service. 

9 hours ago, lissie said:

Why rush to get another ship back in service if the others are not filling even their reduced capacity?  If those 1/2 empty ships are running at a loss there is zero sense in making the loss larger by bringing back another ship to service. 

Is it the case that they are not filling to their reduced capacity? Certainly, there was not much space when I tried to move my cancelled cruise. And I don't suppose there is any at all now. 

And there is of course the argument that if you make a contract with people you try and fulfil it. I know that sounds very old fashioned.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Is it the case that they are not filling to their reduced capacity? Certainly, there was not much space when I tried to move my cancelled cruise. And I don't suppose there is any at all now. 

And there is of course the argument that if you make a contract with people you try and fulfil it. I know that sounds very old fashioned.

Both points, how true. 

10 hours ago, lissie said:

It is not a case of not filling their ships it is a case of they have to set aside a number of cabins for quarantines purposes and they are only been given approval to sail with a reduced capacity. Ships sailing at 50% capacity will be making money especially with money spent onboard for high percentage profits especially drinks. If they werent making any money they wouldnt sail, nobody would do it and lose money on operating costs and staff wages.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

Originally QV was due to transit back to Southampton at the end of January and then dry dock before her returning to service.

Due to Omicron, QV has had to remain in the Caribbean longer, until the end of the season. QV provides quarantine (pre-boarding for crew, and positive-testing for passengers) instead of eating up hotel capacity in Barbados. A number of islands were clear that they would not let ships visit if they had positive cases on board, even in quarantine hence the QV plan. At Christmas there was no spare quarantine hotel capacity so QV being in location was what kept the season going.

Then QV will be returning to Southampton and taking her dry dock. Dry dock dates influence restart date and Carnival Corp are not the only ones using the dry docks.

On 2/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, Dermotsgirl said:

I am booked on the Queen Victoria British Isles cruise that was due to sail on 24th May 2022.

I've had an email from Cunard to advise me that this cruise will no longer sail.  This is because QV will be remaining in the Caribbean for longer than expected, and will then need to go in for a dry dock. Her scheduled return to passenger service is now 5th June 2022.

A mixture of feelings - mostly deflation, as we had begun to plan what excursions we wanted to do. But also some relief, as I have been concerned that Cunard may withdraw Covid mitigations. 

But, such is life these days. 

We'd been booked on that one too, but I got nervous and changed it before we had to pay the final payment. We are now on our fourth booking with the same future cruise deposit. If the Queen Elizabeth Mediterranean one doesn't work out, I think we'll have to eat the deposit or something because we've run out of time to switch it again.

• Like 1

Wow!  I'm sorry for those that had their cruises cancelled, but am so happy that my cruise on QV beginning 05 June 2022 is still a GO! We had cancelled our original cruise scheduled March 2020 even before COVID cancelled it for us, and have been anxious to get to Europe ever since.  Anyone else on that voyage - Southampton, Cadiz, Barcelona, La Spezia and ending in Rome?