SUSHI ON 5 QUESTION

SonuvaBeach

Typically the sample menu pricing is a guideline for dining package credit value purposes.  Every time we have been there it has been a la carte, which has always, at least in our case, been the better value in comparison.  We have not been on Celebrity since pre-pandemic, but I don't think that has changed.

25 minutes ago, SonuvaBeach said:

Is Sushi on 5 still a la carte? I just punched up the sample menu on Celebrity's website at it say $30pp for lunch and $45 pp for dinner...

Yes Sushi on 5 was a la carte on our December 2021 cruise on Summit.  They also count it as a Speciality Restaurant and we tried it and just a la carted our way through dinner including sake.

12 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

Yes Sushi on 5 was a la carte on our December 2021 cruise on Summit.  They also count it as a Speciality Restaurant and we tried it and just a la carted our way through dinner including sake.

Agree - that's why I referenced it in that way on my recent post as well.  Not a SR I would recommend including for either lunch or dinner with a package as a la carte has always been the better value in our experience.

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree - that's why I referenced it in that way on my recent post as well.  Not a SR I would recommend including for either lunch or dinner with a package as a la carte has always been the better value in our experience.

I agree.  We did do a running total and if you exclude the sake, it is some effort to get to a breakeven of the stated $40 value per person.  We had drinks package, so we did not count sake in our running total.

I agree.  We did Raw on Five twice on Apex in November and it was a la carte.  Very easy to get what you want and not go over the allowed amount allowed for dining package.

Seems to be a lot busier now than a few years ago.

Does Sushi on Five use any fresh fish or is all frozen?  If any is fresh, I suggest you order it during the first few days of the cruise than the last few days. I think sushi grade fish in the US has to be flash frozen first to kill parasites, but I'm not 100% sure if that applies in international waters. 

Now I wish there were fishing rods available on cruise ships so we could catch our own sushi. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Does Sushi on Five use any fresh fish or is all frozen?  If any is fresh, I suggest you order it during the first few days of the cruise than the last few days. I think sushi grade fish in the US has to be flash frozen first to kill parasites, but I'm not 100% sure if that applies in international waters. 

Now I wish there were fishing rods available on cruise ships so we could catch our own sushi. 

You put a smile on my face.  Are you seriously suggesting that Celebrity is serving low quality or spoiled fish?

We dined there in Nov ‘21 and friends did in late Jan on Apex and it is a la carte. I share the raw oysters and they were excellent, very firm. Then had the Salmon poke bowl and it was great. Nice wines too 

Love Raw on 5. 

den

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You put a smile on my face.  Are you seriously suggesting that Celebrity is serving low quality or spoiled fish?

No, but think about it.  Would you rather have 2 day old fresh fish or 7 day old fresh fish? The ship isn't getting deliveries in the middle of your caribbean cruise.  I tend to only eat fresh fish in land based restaurants I know are busy.  You never know when that halibut special was delivered and if it's been the facebook special for a week, stay away from it if the restaurant is slow. 

Edited by mfs2k

16 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

No, but think about it.  Would you rather have 2 day old fresh fish or 7 day old fresh fish? The ship isn't getting deliveries in the middle of your caribbean cruise.  I tend to only eat fresh fish in land based restaurants I know are busy.  You never know when that halibut special was delivered and if it's been the facebook special for a week, stay away from it if the restaurant is slow. 

Actually they may very well be getting deliveries in the middle of the cruise.  There are ports of call on most itineraries, and depending on what and where, I have seen deliveries made in ports of call before.  So it is indeed very possible that fresh fish could be brought on board mid cruise.

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually they may very well be getting deliveries in the middle of the cruise.  There are ports of call on most itineraries, and depending on what and where, I have seen deliveries made in ports of call before.  So it is indeed very possible that fresh fish could be brought on board mid cruise.

Oh come on now!  Where is a ship floating in the water going to get fish from???  Stop trying to be reasonable!  😁 

It is very rare to fish for sushi/sashimi in a restaurant that isn't frozen when delivered.  Same for cruise ships.  Nice if you're in Hawaii and can score fresh poke.

As far as cruise lines go, two word clue:  "repo cruise".  No resupply options for many days.

Sushi on 5 was a la carte on the Equinox October '21.  

Great for lunch.  Went on Day 4.  App showed no availability, went to the hostess stand the day before and was able to get a reservation for our preferred time.  There were only a few tables that had people while we dined.  

We enjoyed it.

Pre-cruise in the Cruise Planner, you were able to purchase that lunch or dinner option.  I am guessing it's just a pre-paid amount if someone prefers to do it that way but we didn't see the need to.  

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 1

Just now, goofysmom99 said:

Haven't sailed E-class yet but just checked the The Raw on 5 menu.  Definitely has more options that I'd like to try.  Wish Sushi on 5 had a poke bowl option for lunch.

I like sushi but I don’t get poke bowls.  Are they really that good?

On Edge in January we dined in Raw on 5 expecting it to be ala carte only. After handing us the menu the maitre d asked if we were going to do ala carte or the fixed price for $50pp. We said we would think about it and asked the waiter what was included in the fixed price and his reply was "anything and everything". So that was a no-brainer. It included the seafood towers that were in the $50-$100 range alone as I recall. The fixed price option was nowhere to be seen on the menu. I dont know if it was a special of the evening or what but I would suggest definitely asking for it. It was quite a deal. And the sushi was very, very fresh. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Oh come on now!  Where is a ship floating in the water going to get fish from???  Stop trying to be reasonable!  😁 

Just that kind of person, I guess.  I'll just have to keep living the fantasy as I believe all my sushi is always fresh......😉

Edited by leaveitallbehind

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just that kind of person, I guess.  I'll just have to keep living the fantasy as I believe all my sushi is always fresh......😉

Repeating what's been said before.  None of the sushi in the US is fresh.  It's all been frozen.  

You may want to revise your fantasy. Wish that your sushi has been recently thawed and stored and handled properly before its been served to you. 

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Repeating what's been said before.  None of the sushi in the US is fresh.  It's all been frozen.  

You may want to revise your fantasy. Wish that your sushi has been recently thawed and stored and handled properly before its been served to you. 

Don’t forget the parasites!  Um um good.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

It's my fantasy, I will continue to delude myself as I wish, thank you......😁