Wait, sandals???

kjbacon

Just got my cruise docs (yay!) and I’m that nerd that actually reads everything … in the section for Onboard Dress it states that athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the dining venues … please tell me that this is a typo or something. This makes no sense 😳 I get the sneakers but sandals? I am not sure that I so much as own a dress shoe that isn’t technically a sandal and I’m not going to regress to wearing pumps for anybody!

Not a typo, but in my opinion, not accurate either. 

Been cruising with Oceania consistently since 2013 and I have worn all types of sandals and thongs in every dining venue.  I think what they don't want is the cheap plastic flip flops.  The sandals that I wear are a style that fits into Oceania's country club casual, resort style attire.  Enjoy your cruise, we love Oceania, a perfect fit for us!!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, alaskaca said:

Not a typo, but in my opinion, not accurate either. 

Been cruising with Oceania consistently since 2013 and I have worn all types of sandals and thongs in every dining venue.  I think what they don't want is the cheap plastic flip flops.  The sandals that I wear are a style that fits into Oceania's country club casual, resort style attire.  Enjoy your cruise, we love Oceania, a perfect fit for us!!

Agreed. The OP’s beautiful, non-beachy sandals will fit in v well in even the nicest dining venues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Just got my cruise docs (yay!) and I’m that nerd that actually reads everything … in the section for Onboard Dress it states that athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the dining venues … please tell me that this is a typo or something. This makes no sense 😳 I get the sneakers but sandals? I am not sure that I so much as own a dress shoe that isn’t technically a sandal and I’m not going to regress to wearing pumps for anybody!

They mean no flip flops, not prohibiting dress sandals. My wife wears nothing but sandals on a cruise. It's just really bad wording. 

Edited by njhorseman

Can't say I saw any man wearing open-toed sandals and no socks in any of the 4 specialty dining areas on Riviera (12/13-23/21, W. Caribbean Cruise). Thank God. Civilized people wear SOCKS in these 4 places. I don't want to see some man's toes in Jacques, for example. There are all sorts of loafers and other closed-toed footwear for men.

Now as for the Terrace Cafe and Waves, have at it. I did. Shorts and sandals on the aft deck looking up into the stars.

Edited by MEFIowa
A "say" should've been "saw".
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

it is more  for dinner venues  Terrace is the exception

Sandals  refer to beach type  of course women's dress sandals are acceptable

This has been discussed  for several years

Photos of do's & do not's would clear up any confusion 

JMO

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Can't say I saw any man wearing open-toed sandals and no socks in any of the 4 specialty dining areas on Riviera (12/13-23/21, W. Caribbean Cruise). Thank God. Civilized people wear SOCKS in these 4 places. I don't want to see some man's toes in Jacques, for example. There are all sorts of loafers and other closed-toed footwear for men.

Now as for the Terrace Cafe and Waves, have at it. I did. Shorts and sandals on the aft deck looking up into the stars.

This is correct. I have witnessed men being turned away from Specialties for wearing thong scandals. Last time witnessed was in 2019, so can’t speak to current policy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

It would probably be helpful if the verbiage stated that the sandals guideline was for men. That would have made sense and I wouldn’t have started this thread. Me and my perfectly pedicured piggies will carry on!

I don't think its just for men.  Although women may experience more discretion because of dress sandals,  I think flip flops or other cheap beach footware on women would be discouraged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

I don't think its just for men.  Although women may experience more discretion because of dress sandals,  I think flip flops or other cheap beach footware on women would be discouraged.

This made me literally LOL. Sandals and flip flops or other cheap beach footware have about as much in common as tuxedos and jock straps 😆

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

This made me literally LOL. Sandals and flip flops or other cheap beach footware have about as much in common as tuxedos and jock straps 😆

Depends on how you wear the jock strap:  under the tuxedo or on top.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

not many tuxedos on Oceania  & those that wear them are staff with proper footwear  not sandals 😉

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

It would probably be helpful if the verbiage stated that the sandals guideline was for men. That would have made sense and I wouldn’t have started this thread. Me and my perfectly pedicured piggies will carry on!

I'm currently packing for our Feb 23rd cruise and I'm bringing my croc slide sandals.  These and a cute pair with daisies. https://www.crocs.com/p/classic-crocs-bleach-dye-sandal/207310.html?cgid=outlet&cid=001#&prefn1=gender&prefv1=Women&prefn2=lifestyle&prefv2=Sandals&origin=category&start=4&sz=40

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

I'm currently packing for our Feb 23rd cruise and I'm bringing my croc slide sandals.  These and a cute pair with daisies. https://www.crocs.com/p/classic-crocs-bleach-dye-sandal/207310.html?cgid=outlet&cid=001#&prefn1=gender&prefv1=Women&prefn2=lifestyle&prefv2=Sandals&origin=category&start=4&sz=40

Cute  but not for dinner venues  except the Terrace

IMO

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

In this age of equality that would probably be grounds for a lawsuit. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, calicakes said:

That's what I'm wearing to all the dinner venues. I can't wear high heel sorry.

High heels are not required  on Oceania  😉

I wear something similar to these but a smaller heel

Angela Dress Sandal

• Like 2

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

That's what I'm wearing to all the dinner venues. I can't wear high heel sorry.

I don't wear high heels anymore either but there have many cute flats to go with evening slacks, skirts etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, basor said:

I don't wear high heels anymore either but there have many cute flats to go with evening slacks, skirts etc.

And I'm bringing cute flat sandals if people don't like them oh well.

56 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm with Lynn.  These are beach sandals (IMHO), so flats would be more appropriate in the dinner venues.  You may or may not get turned away, depending on the maitre d'.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 4

Cross are not appropriate for the Grand Dining Room or specialty restaurants. I have seen two people turned away for wearing Crocs.  I do not wear high heels, either.  Flat nice-looking sandals are fine, such as the ones in LHT's photo, with a flat heel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Twiga said:

Cross are not appropriate for the Grand Dining Room or specialty restaurants. I have seen two people turned away for wearing Crocs.  I do not wear high heels, either.  Flat nice-looking sandals are fine, such as the ones in LHT's photo, with a flat heel.

They are not traditional croc clogs. They are listed under "sandals" on the website.