St. George Ferry from Dockyard Returning?

egurbi

Does anyone have information on whether the ferry from dockyard to St. George has or will return shortly? I was there in November and it wasn't running For a time, NCL was running its own ferry from Dockyard to St. George, but suspended that service, so any info on whether that also will be returning would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, egurbi said:

Does anyone have information on whether the ferry from dockyard to St. George has or will return shortly? I was there in November and it wasn't running For a time, NCL was running its own ferry from Dockyard to St. George, but suspended that service, so any info on whether that also will be returning would be greatly appreciated.

The season for that public ferry route normally runs from sometime in mid April through sometime in late October or early November .

Service was discontinued during the pandemic because the route primarily served cruise passengers, who were few and far between . If cruise arrivals this year are closer to normal...and that is likely to be the case...I expect that the public ferry route will resume.

I'm not sure NCL even owns that ferry boat any longer . It seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:43 PM, njhorseman said:

The season for that public ferry route normally runs from sometime in mid April through sometime in late October or early November .

Service was discontinued during the pandemic because the route primarily served cruise passengers, who were few and far between . If cruise arrivals this year are closer to normal...and that is likely to be the case...I expect that the public ferry route will resume.

I'm not sure NCL even owns that ferry boat any longer . It seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

According to this article in the Royal Gazette the NCL ferry will be running. Nothing positive about the public ferry though. Seems rather odd that they would not run the public ferry from the Dockyard if there are cruise ships there while at the same time  the NCL ferry will run. It would be very wrong if they don't run the public ferry. St. George needs it.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220223/st-george-feels-abandoned-retail-pressure-group-says/

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

According to this article in the Royal Gazette the NCL ferry will be running. Nothing positive about the public ferry though. Seems rather odd that they would not run the public ferry from the Dockyard if there are cruise ships there while at the same time  the NCL ferry will run. It would be very wrong if they don't run the public ferry. St. George needs it.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220223/st-george-feels-abandoned-retail-pressure-group-says/

Funny...I read the article earlier today and completely missed the sentence stating that the NCL ferry would be running.

NCL actually has a  contractual obligation to run the ferry. I think this is the last year of the contract. I guess they were let off the hook last year because they ran so few cruises to Bermuda.

43 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

so for planning purposes, does anyone know if the NCL ferry is an " excursion" purchased on ship or part of the ferry and bus system on shore. 

It's really neither-- more of a complimentary amenity provided by NCL to their passengers. It usually runs alongside another ferry that is open to the public for a fee. 

57 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

so for planning purposes, does anyone know if the NCL ferry is an " excursion" purchased on ship or part of the ferry and bus system on shore. 

It is not an excursion. It is not part of the public ferry and bus system. It is a ferry boat that NCL purchased that runs exclusively for NCL passengers and is complimentary.  It runs on a schedule between the Dockyard and St. George's. It does not run from the ferry terminal at the Dockyard. It picks up and drops off near the ship berths.  If you are booked on an NCL ship the ship will provide you a schedule. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not an excursion. It is not part of the public ferry and bus system. It is a ferry boat that NCL purchased that runs exclusively for NCL passengers and is complimentary.  It runs on a schedule between the Dockyard and St. George's. It does not run from the ferry terminal at the Dockyard. It picks up and drops off near the ship berths.  If you are booked on an NCL ship the ship will provide you a schedule. 

My recollection from a few years ago is that it ran maybe two round trips per day and spaces aren't guaranteed.  I used it going over to St. George's and then took the public one back since it was more convenient (time-wise).  It was located close to the ship at the Dockyard.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Montanagirlalways said:

We plan to be there in September on RCL. Hope the ferry is up and running by then

It would be really sad if  the public ferry it is not.running.  Sad for cruise passengers and sad for St.George's. 

The Orange Route ferry between Dockyard and St. George's will be returning. Reading through an article in Bernews I noticed it is budgeted for 2022-2023.

“To support the movement of cruise passengers between Dockyard and St. George, the Ministry has budgeted for the Orange Route ferry for 2022-23. The Orange Route provides crucial connectivity between cruise ship passengers “where it all began” in St. George, allowing economic benefits for businesses, and cruise ship passengers alike to enjoy restaurants, souvenir shops, and attractions in the area."

https://bernews.com/2022/03/minister-lawrence-scott-budget-2022-highlights/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The Orange Route ferry between Dockyard and St. George's will be returning. Reading through an article in Bernews I noticed it is budgeted for 2022-2023.

“To support the movement of cruise passengers between Dockyard and St. George, the Ministry has budgeted for the Orange Route ferry for 2022-23. The Orange Route provides crucial connectivity between cruise ship passengers “where it all began” in St. George, allowing economic benefits for businesses, and cruise ship passengers alike to enjoy restaurants, souvenir shops, and attractions in the area."

https://bernews.com/2022/03/minister-lawrence-scott-budget-2022-highlights/

hope so!!!  Thank you

I didn't have my specs on to read some of that.

Reading from past year, the orange route didn't operate on weekends. We will be in Bermuda Sat aft till Sun afternoon. Would this route be operating then (May cruise). 

Cheers

Len

9 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Reading from past year, the orange route didn't operate on weekends. We will be in Bermuda Sat aft till Sun afternoon. Would this route be operating then (May cruise). 

Cheers

Len

Traditionally the Orange Route has not operated on Saturday and  Sunday so I  doubt it will this year. Usually this route starts running in early to mid April.

17 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Traditionally the Orange Route has not operated on Saturday and  Sunday so I  doubt it will this year. Usually this route starts running in early to mid April.

That won't give us very many options to get to St George?

Cheers

Len

18 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

As I said in the other thread I don't think it will be operating on the weekends. With that itinerary I would only do St.Goerge's as part of a taxi or minibus tour.

With that limited itinerary  in Bermuda your best bet all around is either a taxi or minibus tour. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

I agree with @Charles4515. Given your schedule a taxi or mini bus tour would be the best way to do it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Was just reading a site called Marine Traffic. They state the Spirit of St. George was definitely in Bermuda on 3/25 and had just made a run from the Dockyard to St.Georges.Good news!

That's great news. Hopefully it will be there for the 4/8 Pearl sailing I was so looking forward to going over to St. George's and exploring that area. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 months later...

Can someone verify if the NCL Bermuda ferry runs specifically on weekends? Doesn't seem to be a public option to St. George's on weekends and our cruise is an overnight from Sat-Sun.

The folks on the NCL customer service line and shore excursions have no clue this thing exists, but I'm 100% certain I was on it 4 years ago.

19 hours ago, bermudabound07082018 said:

Can someone verify if the NCL Bermuda ferry runs specifically on weekends? Doesn't seem to be a public option to St. George's on weekends and our cruise is an overnight from Sat-Sun.

The folks on the NCL customer service line and shore excursions have no clue this thing exists, but I'm 100% certain I was on it 4 years ago.

The public ferry does not run on the weekends. I have not run into a cruise line call center that is not clueless. I suggest posting your query about the NCL ferry as a new topic. Recent NCL cruisers may not notice you post under this topic.