First European cruise, where should we go?

Fishboy1947

Thanks for all the good ideas and comments. We’ve had a delay in getting together, a COVID death in the family.

Whether a cruise or a land trip I think they will love the trip. I was very fortunate and toured Europe when I was 16 and it remains my favorite trip. Maybe since it was my first time out of the country, first time more than 100 miles from home.

The cruise with days at both ends sounds right, plus it is physically easier on me and it’s a trip that I can afford. I have not independently traveled in Europe and a trip with the kids doesn’t seem like a good time to learn.

I like the idea of Barcelona to Rome or Rome to Venice. Rome has a special appeal to me. Now to see what sounds good to them. 

thanks again

If you are looking at the Mediterranean. The best place to start is Rome. Hand's down. We did it a few years ago on Norwegian. By starting in Rome, you can add days before or after. We booked a Bed and Breakfast before. Did a tour of Rome. Including a day tour and then a night tour with the same company. Awesome history and gorgeous at night. Churches and fountains everywhere and looked different at night.

Next we did 2 tours of the Vatican. Everyone should see the Vatican whether Catholic or not. First we went below St Peter's with their archeology dept. Only allowed 12 at a time. And only 3-4 groups in the morning only. So it has to be booked months in advance. Saw streets during the first century and ended at St Peter's tomb. Then ate lunch and started the second tour of the Vatican itself. Sistine Chapel is breathtaking.

Went aboard the ship and went around the Med for 12 days.

If you are looking at a bus ride around Europe. We did that with Expat Explore out of London. 12 days to 12 countries. Saw a lot....including all the major cities except Berlin.

Edited by KEN W

8 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

like the idea of Barcelona to Rome or Rome to Venice

Just be aware that large cruise ships no longer dock in Venice, and now use a port a considerable distance from the city.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, hallasm said:

Not necessarily- most airlines have ‘Open-jaw tickets’ - flights where the return leg departs from a different airport to the arrival. In general same price level as a return ticket.

The point of my suggestion is mostly about the option to enjoy the Museums in Florence as the travel time between Rome and Florence is about 2 hr15 min. Not nearly as much about the price of the air fare. Between Florence and Venice is about 1 hr. It depends on how much you could invest time wise in Florence. The train expense is around 9 to12 Euro 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just be aware that large cruise ships no longer dock in Venice, and now use a port a considerable distance from the city.

This concern essentially applies to Rome and Athens as well - and certainly to any cruise which claims to offer a chance to see Florence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

and Athens as well

Piraeus port is only 20 minutes from downtown Athens, hardly a schlep. 

Even in ancient times Piraeus served as the port for the city of Athens. The Athenians were so keen to protect it that they built walls (the "Long Wall") all along the road that led from the city to the port. You can still see parts of it preserved in a few places.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 5:59 PM, Fishboy1947 said:

I like the idea of Barcelona to Rome or Rome to Venice. Rome has a special appeal to me. Now to see what sounds good to them. 

Someone suggested a one-way between Barcelona and Athens (or vice versa). Having spent time on the ground in both cities, this would be my favorites! So much to do for all ages. Personally I have never had any interest in Rome (watch some U-tubes...). Of course your grandkids' interests may be quite different than mine. 

Stick with your reasons to do this as a cruise. If you go the northern route, I can also testify that Copenhagen is relatively easy to get around and offers many things to do and see. Not sure where one-ways might have as their other ends... Do any candidates include Copenhagen to the British Isles?!!

We all talked and a cruise from Venice to Rome via Croatia, Naples, Portofino & La Spezia is where we are leaning. For first visit it hits many ports with recognized names and attractions and good embark/disembark cities. We were disappointed that all of the other choices generally had 5 ports with 2 that might be great for seasoned travelers but didn’t look exciting to us, Marseille, Genoa, Messina, etc. 
Venice has some logistical challenges and our stay in Rome will mostly be over the weekend so there will be some extra planning, but I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip

I appreciate all of the input that I have received here. I find the cruise critic community to resemble the websites I used to visit at the beginning of the internet, friendly, experienced and extremely sharing and I feel caring. The best of the internet. Thank you

53 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

We all talked and a cruise from Venice to Rome via Croatia, Naples, Portofino & La Spezia is where we are leaning. For first visit it hits many ports with recognized names and attractions and good embark/disembark cities. We were disappointed that all of the other choices generally had 5 ports with 2 that might be great for seasoned travelers but didn’t look exciting to us, Marseille, Genoa, Messina, etc. 
Venice has some logistical challenges and our stay in Rome will mostly be over the weekend so there will be some extra planning, but I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip

I appreciate all of the input that I have received here. I find the cruise critic community to resemble the websites I used to visit at the beginning of the internet, friendly, experienced and extremely sharing and I feel caring. The best of the internet. Thank you

So lets talk about a few of the ports you mentioned.  As others have warned, most ships are no longer permitted to dock in Venice.  The best (closest) alternative is the commercial port of Marghera so check with the cruise line to see where they plan on docking (other options can be 2 hours distant).

As to Marseille, while that city is not our favorite the nearby Provence region is fantastic.  Places like Nimes, Avignon, St Remy, Pont du Gard, Aix en Provence, etc. are all within excursion/tour range.  As to Messina the town has some of its own charms but going to Taormina is a very satisfying experience to most folks.  Genoa is not my favorite place but there is an excellent Aquarium (world class) located a short walk from the pier.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

So lets talk about a few of the ports you mentioned.  As others have warned, most ships are no longer permitted to dock in Venice.  The best (closest) alternative is the commercial port of Marghera so check with the cruise line to see where they plan on docking (other options can be 2 hours distant).

As to Marseille, while that city is not our favorite the nearby Provence region is fantastic.  Places like Nimes, Avignon, St Remy, Pont du Gard, Aix en Provence, etc. are all within excursion/tour range.  As to Messina the town has some of its own charms but going to Taormina is a very satisfying experience to most folks.  Genoa is not my favorite place but there is an excellent Aquarium (world class) located a short walk from the pier.

Hank

Hank

I’ve also read your comments on the Italy ports section and value your input. You’re one of my goto resources

The cruise we are looking at leaves from Ravenna. I’ve looked at the choices. I have to think that by June 2023 there will be more good options, but a train adventure may add to the trip. But more than that your comments about staying in Venice give me more concern. But I’m optimistic that my 20 year olds will be a big help there because I would really like to stay in Venice, possibly in an AirBnb.

2 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Hank

I’ve also read your comments on the Italy ports section and value your input. You’re one of my goto resources

The cruise we are looking at leaves from Ravenna. I’ve looked at the choices. I have to think that by June 2023 there will be more good options, but a train adventure may add to the trip. But more than that your comments about staying in Venice give me more concern. But I’m optimistic that my 20 year olds will be a big help there because I would really like to stay in Venice, possibly in an AirBnb.

The issue with ports for Venice has cruise lines looking for the best options.  I do know that quite a few lines using distant ports (like Ravenna) are allowing check-in at the Venice port (Maritima) and then providing bus transportation to their ship so this is something to check out.  DW and I are big fans of Venice and have found much to like beyond the usual tourist stuff (like St Marks Square).  If you going to Venice you should consider at least 2 or 3 nights in that city which should give you the time to venture out to some places like Burano.   I will admit that we are not big fans of AirBnB as it can be hard to know if a place is what it says (make sure to always check reviews and a reference is a good thing).  We have rented places in France and Italy but generally found them through Homeaway or even Trip Advisor.  So far, we have been lucky and never had any issues but that is probably more luck then skill.  While Venice does have some very pricy hotels there are also reasonably priced hotels and some decent small inn-like places.  

When it comes to Venice, location can be a real issue (especially when you have lots of luggage).  If using AirBnB make sure to research the location vis-a-vis the nearest Vaporetto stop.  Even a close by Vaporetto stop can be an issue if there are one or more difficult bridges (i.e. with steps).  

Hank

• Like 1

We loved leaving from Barcelona great city to spend a day or more at, love most of the Italian ports I think Florence is a must you dock a little over a hour drive from the city , Naples is also fantastic great food and short boat trip to Capri or the ruins at Pompeii. The surprise ports that we loved were Dubrovnik and Kotor both walled cities. Of course Athens and the Greek islands are interesting. I would look at rccl and celebrity for cruise lines.

2 hours ago, George C said:

We loved leaving from Barcelona great city to spend a day or more at, love most of the Italian ports I think Florence is a must you dock a little over a hour drive from the city , Naples is also fantastic great food and short boat trip to Capri or the ruins at Pompeii. The surprise ports that we loved were Dubrovnik and Kotor both walled cities. Of course Athens and the Greek islands are interesting. I would look at rccl and celebrity for cruise lines.

Our very first cruise was from Barcelona.  It was in 2002, and the cruise lines, and in fact the entire travel industry, was still reeling from 9/11. RCCL gave those of us on the transfer bus a tour of Barcelona. I agree it is a wonderful city. We have also stayed there after a cruise.

One hint is do not miss the Gaudi architecture.

• Like 1