Exactly how much Farcas is removed when a Destiny class ship is Sunshined?

KmomChicago

First Carnival cruise was Triumph 5 years ago. We loved it but of course the old bucket was showing her age and it was a full dose of whimsy/over the top decor. 

Doing a shorty later this spring on Radiance and looking forward to the before and after comparison on this sister ship. 

Are we gonna be looking at a sleeker, contemporary and understated new atmosphere or is it just a slightly cleaned up version of the old vessel?

Joe Farcus.

I was on Sunshine 12/26 and had been my first Carnival cruise, Destiny in 2006. The only thing I really noticed was I thought the Lido buffet area was pretty nice, with soft, warm colors, kinda Florida casual? The main improvement is the additional bars and dining venues they add.

31 minutes ago, mondello said:

Joe Farcus.

I was on Sunshine 12/26 and had been my first Carnival cruise, Destiny in 2006. The only thing I really noticed was I thought the Lido buffet area was pretty nice, with soft, warm colors, kinda Florida casual? The main improvement is the additional bars and dining venues they add.

Whoops thanks @mondello for the spellcheck and response. We are getting Big Chicken which is not the biggest deal in the world, but we did like it on Mardi Gras. Also Pig and Anchor. With those four walkups we will be pretty happy.  The lido buffets are typically pretty wild on FARCUS ships, which again, is fine, don't care much, but interested to see what the refresh looks like, 

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

First Carnival cruise was Triumph 5 years ago. We loved it but of course the old bucket was showing her age and it was a full dose of whimsy/over the top decor. 

Doing a shorty later this spring on Radiance and looking forward to the before and after comparison on this sister ship. 

Are we gonna be looking at a sleeker, contemporary and understated new atmosphere or is it just a slightly cleaned up version of the old vessel?

It depends somewhat on the ship. Sunrise kept Triumph's map on the ceiling of the atrium, but lost the purple Triumph used. Radiance was probably a bigger departure from Victory's decor, although some of the wall art pays homage to the seahorse decorations that were everywhere without the ship.

Most of the public spaces will be de-themed. For example, the Underground Tokyo arcade on Triumph has no theme on Sunrise 

• Like 1

I just returned from sailing the Sunshine for the first time. I was surprised at how "old"/Farcus certain areas on the ship still look, despite the major refurbishment. They kept the gaudy wall paneling throughout much of the public decks, particularly in the aft areas around the stairs/elevators. Speaking of elevators, I was surprised at how old they looked. While the atrium was a bit updated, it was still noticeably old.

Not Farcus-related, but the ship is REALLY showing its age and is need of some care. There was so much exposed/rotting wood on the Lido/open decks. I heard of a few people getting splinters from the railings. There was major rust and deterioration of the door frame in my bathroom. The door to my balcony was completely broken and wouldn't shut without the latch being engaged.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, stormy_weatherman said:

I just returned from sailing the Sunshine for the first time. I was surprised at how "old"/Farcus certain areas on the ship still look, despite the major refurbishment.

I totally agree.  I have been on both Sunrise and Radiance since their $200 million renovations.  Radiance's result is MUCH better.

We were on Sunrise back in November and shortly after our cruise I heard Carnival cancelled 4 voyages to pull her back in for "maintenance".  I was not surprised at all...some areas that NEEDED work were clearly overlooked.  The worst was a huge gap/crack in one of the deck stairs that looked like a safety issue to me.  But in general, the paint was faded and dull, there were hard water and rust stains on the windows.  Outside, it very much looked like they tried to put lipstick on a pig.  I will say the inside was very pretty though (espcially the common areas), but some cabin/bathroom doors were pretty beat-up from use.  I heard complaints that seals around balcony doors were deteriorated, and it made noise all night. 

Conversely, Radiance looked much better (much more like a new ship). The inside is beautiful (I absolutely loved the atrium).  Outside, it has fresh paint, and the windows didn't look cloudy/dirty.  But you still have old components here and there.  I mentioned in another post that on our recent Radiance cruise, the sprinkler system in my friend's cabin leaked (a slow drip) the whole cruise, so the portion of her carpet under the sprinkler head was constantly wet.  The shower head in our room kept falling down.  Just minor things you might not experience on a newer ship.

Overall, these ships are upgraded with the new food venues, etc., and they can be a great deal compared to the new ships.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

I totally agree.  I have been on both Sunrise and Radiance since their $200 million renovations.  Radiance's result is MUCH better.

We were on Sunrise back in November and shortly after our cruise I heard Carnival cancelled 4 voyages to pull her back in for "maintenance".  I was not surprised at all...some areas that NEEDED work were clearly overlooked.  The worst was a huge gap/crack in one of the deck stairs that looked like a safety issue to me.  But in general, the paint was faded and dull, there were hard water and rust stains on the windows.  Outside, it very much looked like they tried to put lipstick on a pig.  I will say the inside was very pretty though (espcially the common areas), but some cabin/bathroom doors were pretty beat-up from use.  I heard complaints that seals around balcony doors were deteriorated, and it made noise all night. 

Conversely, Radiance looked much better (much more like a new ship). The inside is beautiful (I absolutely loved the atrium).  Outside, it has fresh paint, and the windows didn't look cloudy/dirty.  But you still have old components here and there.  I mentioned in another post that on our recent Radiance cruise, the sprinkler system in my friend's cabin leaked (a slow drip) the whole cruise, so the portion of her carpet under the sprinkler head was constantly wet.  The shower head in our room kept falling down.  Just minor things you might not experience on a newer ship.

Overall, these ships are upgraded with the new food venues, etc., and they can be a great deal compared to the new ships.

Thanks. Makes sense the 3rd time around they’d be getting better at hitting what needs attention and avoiding prior misses.  Looking forward to checking it (Radiance) out while it’s still relatively fresh out of its extreme makeover rather than years out like Sunshine which is now getting old all over again. 

5 hours ago, stormy_weatherman said:

I just returned from sailing the Sunshine for the first time. I was surprised at how "old"/Farcus certain areas on the ship still look, despite the major refurbishment. They kept the gaudy wall paneling throughout much of the public decks, particularly in the aft areas around the stairs/elevators. Speaking of elevators, I was surprised at how old they looked. While the atrium was a bit updated, it was still noticeably old.

Not Farcus-related, but the ship is REALLY showing its age and is need of some care. There was so much exposed/rotting wood on the Lido/open decks. I heard of a few people getting splinters from the railings. There was major rust and deterioration of the door frame in my bathroom. The door to my balcony was completely broken and wouldn't shut without the latch being engaged.

That is disappointing to hear as Sunshine just got out of drydock before she was put back in service in November 2021.

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Not enough.

It’s just lipstick on a pig. Based on the condition related comments above, the ship belongs in Aliaga.

When it comes down to it, she was still built in 96. So was Inspiration and she's gone.

• Like 1

I had high hopes for this ship out of Charleston because it’s so close of a drive, but it was horrible. All I can say was thankfully, we had great weather. This ship looks like it rolled out of the 70’s and never looked back. I expected the usual Carnival gaudiness but not the terrible food. 

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

That is disappointing to hear as Sunshine just got out of drydock before she was put back in service in November 2021.

I was on it 12/26 and thought it was in pretty good shape for its age. Yeah, I previously posted that the bottom of the bathroom door frame was rusting away down by the bottom. Complaining about food is common across the fleet right now but is not because of the age.