School summer vacation dates, esp US northeast

shipgeeks

28 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

When will the schools generally let out this year?  Can we expect lots of kids on an early June cruise?

I have gone on a bunch of cruises to Bermuda the first or second week of June out of the northeast and there have not been a lot of kids. 

Many schools end their year in late May. They start really early in August now to get more "instructional days in " before the testing.

Also, parents seem to have no problem with removing their kids during the final days, unless they are older with mandatory testing. Also, many midwest and northern states no longer give snow days, but just require a certain number of hours for the whole year. Making up for bad weather at the end of the year is becoming a thing of the past.  Not everyone, but that is the trend.

You won't get many European kids as their schools end in late June.

Edited by Markanddonna

45 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Many schools end their year in late May. They start really early in August now to get more "instructional days in " before the testing.

Also, parents seem to have no problem with removing their kids during the final days, unless they are older with mandatory testing. Also, many midwest and northern states no longer give snow days, but just require a certain number of hours for the whole year. Making up for bad weather at the end of the year is becoming a thing of the past.  Not everyone, but that is the trend.

Schools in the NYC metro area get out the end of June (6/27 is the last day for NYC schools this year, our schools in NJ are out a few days earlier). They go back after Labor Day.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, Markanddonna said:

I think most Northeast public schools run until mid-late June — and very few, if any, close in May —- that is a southern phenomenon.  And most European schools run well into July.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think most Northeast public schools run until mid-late June — and very few, if any, close in May —- that is a southern phenomenon.  And most European schools run well into July.

Not everyone lives in the Northeast. In the midwest, lots of our schools end in May. That phenomenon started in a effort to prepare students for all that state and national testing and to get the maximum days in before spring.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Not everyone lives in the Northeast. In the midwest, lots of our schools end in May. That phenomenon started in a effort to prepare students for all that state and national testing and to get the maximum days in before spring.

Yes, but the OP appears to be primarily concerned about schools in the Northeast given the title of the thread: School summer vacation dates, esp US northeast

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

OP was specifically not interested in Midwest schools.

Then, their question contradicts the title. I thought they were looking at the impact of spring break on cruising. Young people come from all over the country to sail. If they want to know their own schools dates, they should look at the school's website. 

2 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Then, their question contradicts the title. I thought they were looking at the impact of spring break on cruising. Young people come from all over the country to sail. If they want to know their own schools dates, they should look at the school's website. 

Everyone knows that the only place in the U.S. that matters is the I-95 corridor . If you are leaving from the east coast area the vast majority of people will be from  the  corridor. It is one of the things I do not like about local cruises, I like meeting nice people from all over Especially Ohio.

24 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Ridiculous  - the OP wanted to know about school summer vacation  schedules in the Northeast - which would more largely impact cruises sailing from Northeast ports — cruises from Florida and Texas ports would obviously be more impacted by the generally earlier summer vacation schedules - so why talk about the impact of spring break at all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

No, the question doesn't contradict the title. There's no mention of spring break in either the title or body of the post...not one word or even a subtle implication.

"School summer vacation dates" , asking about cruising in early June and "when will the schools generally let out this year" clearly are about the end of the school year, not spring break.

Edited by njhorseman