Carnival Has 3 Ships Carrying Passengers - No Covid Cases

sunonfire

The CDC is using data for the last 7 days. Carnival had three ships the Pride, the Radiance and the Valor  - all are green on the new CDC dashboard. That means no crew or passengers had Covid. There were other Carnival ships that were green but they only had crew onboard. The Pride has the Nude Cruise until Sunday.

This is the link for the dashboard. It is simple to use. Select cruise line and all of the ships are displayed. You can also select a ship. It also give a display with the numbers of each color category for each cruise line.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

4972939C-9EB8-4592-900E-9B7A1F699718.png

• Like 2

It is good news that there are ships with zero cases of covid. The latest variant seems to be running its course.  It is interesting that there are no ships that meet the requirements for excellence.  That's a high bar.

My only concern for traveling was my flight to Florida.  I have zero concerns about getting covid on the ship, masks or no masks.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It is good news that there are ships with zero cases of covid. The latest variant seems to be running its course.  It is interesting that there are no ships that meet the requirements for excellence.  That's a high bar.

My only concern for traveling was my flight to Florida.  I have zero concerns about getting covid on the ship, masks or no masks.

The "standard of excellence" just means 95%+ boosted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Right and that's a very high bar considering many people aren't getting boosted.

Agreed, everyone that wants a booster has one. And apparently the cruise lines think the number of boosted people isn't enough to keep them in business (wise decision IMO)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

When CDC changes the definition of fully immunized, so will Carnival. Carnival is following the CDC.

I know the CDC has changed their mind frequently over the past few years, but they've said they have no plans to change the definition of fully vaccinated. Rather, they've added "up-to-date" to their repertoire.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I know the CDC has changed their mind frequently over the past few years, but they've said they have no plans to change the definition of fully vaccinated. Rather, they've added "up-to-date" to their repertoire.

As long as covid cases continue to drop that may be true. But when the next variant shows up? Also current thinking is another booster coming in the fall, if not before.

It also hinges on what ports of call require. And, of course, cruises originating in other places like Europe have their own rules. Not everyone is as unprotected as the US.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

As long as covid cases continue to drop that may be true. But when the next variant shows up? Also current thinking is another booster coming in the fall, if not before.

It also hinges on what ports of call require. And, of course, cruises originating in other places like Europe have their own rules. Not everyone is as unprotected as the US.

I know, it really depends on what happens in the future. I will say though that in general we are trending towards fewer restrictions and regulations, and I don't see public opinion shifting back toward more mandates again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I know, it really depends on what happens in the future. I will say though that in general we are trending towards fewer restrictions and regulations, and I don't see public opinion shifting back toward more mandates again.

Public health should never be decided by public opinion, of which almost none are qualified to decide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Public health should never be decided by public opinion, of which almost none are qualified to decide.

Yet again I agree - but when politics is involved you see how it ends up.

Why do you think the CDC at the last moment decided if ships agreed to the "highly vaccinated" rules they didn't need masks? Politics - if they didn't, a lot of ships today would be "Grey"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

I am going to continue to wear my mask and protect myself from others in designated locations. I have family members with underlying conditions so I have never had a choice. It's always been and will continue to be "Mask Up" for me.    

and, as you say, your family members. So you are also masking up for others.

It is a concept some still can't grasp. Think of everyone else on the planet as an extended family instead of being estranged. United, not divided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meh.  You have to be rational - nearly everybody on board has been vaccinated, and everybody has taken a recent COVID test.  We’re at that time of year when travel skews older (a demographic that’s largely boosted).  And when I cruised last week, I saw lots of good hygiene - lots of hand washing, hand sanitizer, etc.  

That said, one of us had to take a Covid test before returning to work, and took it the same afternoon… and tested positive (none of us had any symptoms).  So Covid is definitely there, and if the circumstances were different, we’d see outbreaks.  

Edited by Itried4498

On 2/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, TNcruising02 said:

It is good news that there are ships with zero cases of covid. The latest variant seems to be running its course.  

The Sunrise was in revenue service AND had no cases right before my recent cruise.  I guess they must have picked up a few COVID cases recently.   😞  

I was startled that no-one from our VisageTome group tested positive before our cruise...and it was a big group.  Everyone tested negative.  

On 2/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, TNcruising02 said:

The flight was my biggest concern, too...to the point where I considered driving down to Miami from Atlanta instead.   

I did purchase good N95 masks for the flight (not the slightly inferior KN95 masks),

On 2/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, BlerkOne said:

And so many are LESS protected.  UK and Denmark dropped all restrictions recently, with Denmark stating they will be considering COVID as endemic rather than as a pandemic going forward.  

And of course some countries managed to survive -- somehow -- without ever enforcing a mask mandate, like Sweden.  

On 2/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, mz-s said:

Why do you think the CDC at the last moment decided if ships agreed to the "highly vaccinated" rules they didn't need masks? Politics - if they didn't, a lot of ships today would be "Grey"

Or, why did CDC suddenly decide to reduce the quarantine period to 5 days instead of 10...just one day after the airlines sent them a joint letter begging for that reduction?   Did the science suddenly change overnight?  

This is a good example of "public opinion" or pressure swaying the science.  

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, BlerkOne said:

Many remember President Eisenhower warning against the military-industrial complex in his farewell address. He was right about that and we have been at war non-stop for decades now. But few remember his warning against what he called a "scientific-technological elite." He was right about that also as the pandemic has showed. In a democracy public health must be determined by the people.

21 hours ago, Pellaz said:

This is a good example of "public opinion" or pressure swaying the science.  

Science can inform but public health policy is a combo of many things-as it should be. Policy will change depending on many things. Unelected scientists should never be the only ones to decide policy. Just like politicians shouldn't let their opinion be the only factor in deciding policy.

Policy affects everyone so many angles need to be considered.

Let's hope for more green going forward. Let's stop testing unless symptomatic and needing to decide on course of treatment (this means even those at risk can test more often to get preemptive treatment as needed). Seeing more and more "incidental positive covid" with nose swabs in those with ZERO symptoms

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:48 PM, mz-s said:

It's obvious the CDC has an agenda that is not about the science. I don't really understand what their angle is at this time. They are playing a game where they control the rules and are not being open and  honest with the info they have. After 2 years it's time to stop the crap and release ALL the date. Not just what they feel works in their defense. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/health/covid-cdc-data.html

just in case some can't access link above

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220222/report-cdc-not-publishing-large-amounts-of-covid-19-data

Edited by bamaone

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It's obvious that if public opinion decided policy, everyone posting would have small pox.

I don't think anyone advocates public opinion deciding policy. But in a democracy the people elect representatives who they hope think like them and those representatives are expected to learn about important issues and set policy. What scientists and medical experts think should be taken into consideration by those representatives, but our representatives are not doing their jobs if they give the power to set policy over to any scientists or medical experts.

• Like 1