Will Canada's 100% Vax rule kill Pacific Coast relocation Cruise?

jy0ung1

Canada's new rule requires 100% Vaccination rate for Cruise ships to arrive in a Canadian port (which I see as impossible).   We have a 5 night LA to Vancouver cruise on the Bliss scheduled for 4/17.  Even if they passed an Alaska Exemption Law similar to last year,  it would not affect  our cruise because it does not go to Alaska.  Am I missing something, or could my cruise be in jeopardy?

27 minutes ago, jy0ung1 said:

Canada's new rule requires 100% Vaccination rate for Cruise ships to arrive in a Canadian port (which I see as impossible).   We have a 5 night LA to Vancouver cruise on the Bliss scheduled for 4/17.  Even if they passed an Alaska Exemption Law similar to last year,  it would not affect  our cruise because it does not go to Alaska.  Am I missing something, or could my cruise be in jeopardy?

Given that NCL has a 100% passenger and crew Vaccination policy, it kind of sounds like Canada and NCL are in line with each other….  Different cruise lines, maybe not so….

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Married90 said:

Given that NCL has a 100% passenger and crew Vaccination policy, it kind of sounds like Canada and NCL are in line with each other….  Different cruise lines, maybe not so….

Thank you.  That is reassuring. 

12 minutes ago, jy0ung1 said:

Thank you.  That is reassuring. 

You were given wrong information by @Married90but she likely meant well. It’s difficult to rely on the just the forums for information because covid policies are still so very fluid.

As mentioned, starting tomorrow anyone under 12 can sail with ncl. I expect that policy may lighten up even more in the near future.

Currently, only fully vaccinated travelers may enter Canada, and all unvaccinated children under 12 years old entering with a fully vaccinated parent must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. While that quarantine requirement will be removed March 1, the vaccination requirement will not -- nor will testing requirements that stipulate all incoming travelers must be tested for COVID-19 before entering Canada.

This is cut and paste from an article on Cruise Critic...I read this as unvaccinated under 12's in the company of their fully vaccinated parent(s) would be allowed under the new rules provided they test negative prior to entry to Canada.

Have tried diving into the GofC website but can't find anything clearer...

7 minutes ago, Brian V said:

Currently, only fully vaccinated travelers may enter Canada, and all unvaccinated children under 12 years old entering with a fully vaccinated parent must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. While that quarantine requirement will be removed March 1, the vaccination requirement will not -- nor will testing requirements that stipulate all incoming travelers must be tested for COVID-19 before entering Canada.

This is cut and paste from an article on Cruise Critic...I read this as unvaccinated under 12's in the company of their fully vaccinated parent(s) would be allowed under the new rules provided they test negative prior to entry to Canada.

Have tried diving into the GofC website but can't find anything clearer...

Alaskan lawmakers and the cruise industry disagree with your interpretation:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Canada-requiring-100-percent-vaccinated-ships

"Alaska lawmakers are working on new legislation that would allow cruise ships to continue to sail past Canada without the required stop. 

John Heald, Carnival Cruise Line's brand ambassador and senior cruise director, took to Facebook on Wednesday to say details are still being worked out for Alaska cruises, but Canada's regulations are a sticking point."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Alaskan lawmakers and the cruise industry disagree with your interpretation:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Canada-requiring-100-percent-vaccinated-ships

"Alaska lawmakers are working on new legislation that would allow cruise ships to continue to sail past Canada without the required stop. 

John Heald, Carnival Cruise Line's brand ambassador and senior cruise director, took to Facebook on Wednesday to say details are still being worked out for Alaska cruises, but Canada's regulations are a sticking point."

Thanks.  We cancelled our May AK trip prior to final payment but may still rebook.  We also have a July AK itinerary booked.  It's a dynamic situation and I'm not going to commit non-refundable $$$ until we know what the heck is going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jy0ung1 said:

Where did you learn about a 100% vaccination policy for Canadian ports?

On Feb. 15th the Canadian government said that cruise guidelines would be forthcoming. As far as I know they have yet to be posted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

Where did you learn about a 100% vaccination policy for Canadian ports?

On Feb. 15th the Canadian government said that cruise guidelines would be forthcoming. As far as I know they have yet to be posted.

Looks like this was posted on 2/17:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-issued-transport-canada/canada-s-cruise-ship-instructional-reference-tool

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

At least one 'cruisetuber' posted a video on it today.

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Apologies. For some reason tonight I'm getting vaccination and testing rules mixed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Married90 said:

Nope. Effective this week, unvaxxed passengers are allowed on all ships. 

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Apologies. For some reason tonight I'm getting vaccination and testing rules mixed up.

Yes, you're getting mixed/changing information because they're changing so quickly.  In Ontario, they are rapidly being reduced, However, we need to watch the changes frequently.  Canada is changing quickly.  All levels of gov't  are expecting changes but it's not easy.  Keep watching. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

So they can just stick with the old 100% vaccinated rules for cruises to or from Canada. Doesn't sound like a major obstacle to me. NCL has done it before, they can do it again for Canada cruises.

Yeah I’m really confused….but if what I’m thinking is the case is true, they need to change it back like you said. I’ll be really p!$$ed off if the Alaskan cruise we’ve been rebooking for three years doesn’t stop in Canada, just because NCL decided that kids 12 and under don’t have to be vaccinated anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruising7 said:

I’ll be really p!$$ed off if the Alaskan cruise we’ve been rebooking for three years doesn’t stop in Canada

Why?  Have you been on an AK cruise that stopped in Canada?  I don't think we even bothered to get off the ship last time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why?  Have you been on an AK cruise that stopped in Canada?  I don't think we even bothered to get off the ship last time.

Many of them arrive in Victoria on Vancouver Island around 6:00 or 7:00 at night and depart around midnight.  I'm with the Chief on this one.  It's hardly worth getting off the ship.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's no longer true. Effective tomorrow unvaccinated children under the age of 12 are permitted to cruise on NCL.

I'm sure NCL will restrict these cruises to the unvaxxed to comply with the rule.  

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

For the Victoria stop, meh, you’re not there long enough to miss much. IMO, the real loss is at Skagway (because you might only have the abbreviated White Pass rail trips again) and of course the one-way trips. 

It’s a good question about the Pacific Coastals. They cannot end in Seattle, not even if they stop in Ensenada. Will all the ships doing the Mexican Riviera/California Coastals now have to sail empty for repositioning? Will they make those specific sailings into one-off 100% vax required ones so they can terminate in Vancouver? Or will the PVSA exemption extend to repositioning cruises for ships scheduled for Alaska itineraries?

There is also the issue of needing a negative antigen test before visiting Canada. That would have to be done  within 24 hours. Sounds complicated if you are on the ship. It would be worth downloading the ArriveCanada app before the cruise too, at the present time it has to be completed by anyone visiting. Let’s hope these rules change in the next little while. 

Edited by armwinder