Info about Canada's new covid rules for Cruise ships?

Harrylinden

3 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I didn't realize that ArriveCan had to be filled out before embarkation...

Don't worry. Just follow the cruise ship's instructions when the time comes. Read carefully, and follow the instructions. Get someone to do it for you, if you are in doubt. 

55 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

ArriveCan is for debarkation not embarkation if you are arriving into a Canadian port after a cruise.  

That would make sense. However, if you read the GOC info in post #126 it clearly states:

• Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Don't worry. Just follow the cruise ship's instructions when the time comes. Read carefully, and follow the instructions. Get someone to do it for you, if you are in doubt. 

I'm pretty sure that I can figure it out myself. I just don't understand why it has to be done on the way out of the country, on embarkation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm pretty sure that I can figure it out myself. I just don't understand why it has to be done on the way out of the country, on embarkation. 

That’s my point about testing  one day before and not two or three days. I fly into Canada- no test - but get on ship leaving Canada and not returning but have to have a test one day before to leave Canada on a one way sailing north. 

47 minutes ago, dave34 said:

That’s my point about testing  one day before and not two or three days. I fly into Canada- no test - but get on ship leaving Canada and not returning but have to have a test one day before to leave Canada on a one way sailing north. 

I don't understand why you are so hung up on 1 day for antigen tests. It is the same requirement the US government has for incoming flights. But if it is to difficult you can always use the 72 hour option.

You also seem to conflate cruise boarding with leaving the country. They are not the same.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoLeafsGo99 said:

Is 1 day = 24 hours before boarding the ship in Vancouver, or anytime the day before boarding is fine?

Anytime within 1 day of scheduled departure.

Edited by broberts

19 hours ago, dave34 said:

I understand that, why do they need to make it harder, or different with the test? Don’t want to give up the control 

I suppose for the same reason that cruiseline requirements state that only proctored home test that have FDA approval will be accepted. Those approved by Health Canada or the health authorities of other countries do not meet the requirements. Different rules in different jurisdictions.

Unless HAL or other lines modify their regulations for cruises sailing from Canada, we'll face the ridiculous situation where a Canadian citizen embarking on a cruise in Canada will not be able to test with a kit approved by Health Canada. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I suppose for the same reason that cruiseline requirements state that only proctored home test that have FDA approval will be accepted. Those approved by Health Canada or the health authorities of other countries do not meet the requirements. Different rules in different jurisdictions.

Unless HAL or other lines modify their regulations for cruises sailing from Canada, we'll face the ridiculous situation where a Canadian citizen embarking on a cruise in Canada will not be able to test with a kit approved by Health Canada. 

My complaint is I can fly into Canada without a test, Covid positive maybe, and spread it all over Vancouver. I can get on a ship in Seattle , with a antigen test THREE days before boarding and get off in Canada but to get on a north bound one way I have a one day test.  So the one day before is not for safety. I will get the PCR test and hope I get results back in time. I will not fly to Vancouver and take a chance on testing positive there. Most cruise line have 2 or 3 days antigen test to board but Canada has to be different for what reason? Why can’t these officers get together and quit worrying about losing control. 

On 3/18/2022 at 10:01 AM, Boatdrill said:

Canada's planned "no test" policy is great news for U.S. passengers sailing on Alaska cruises departing from Vancouver !  

Don’t forget you still need a negative test to board a cruise ship in Canada, just like you do in the US. You just don’t need one to enter the country, which simplifies things!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dave34 said:

My complaint is I can fly into Canada without a test, Covid positive maybe, and spread it all over Vancouver. I can get on a ship in Seattle , with a antigen test THREE days before boarding and get off in Canada but to get on a north bound one way I have a one day test.  So the one day before is not for safety. I will get the PCR test and hope I get results back in time. I will not fly to Vancouver and take a chance on testing positive there. Most cruise line have 2 or 3 days antigen test to board but Canada has to be different for what reason? Why can’t these officers get together and quit worrying about losing control. 

You seem to be conflating a number of separate and unrelated issues. What is required to enter or exit Canada has nothing to do with the requirement for a test for embarkation. The rationale for the test is self-evident and it's the same in the US and in Canada. Your complaint boils down to not being able to be antigen tested on the same time table. OK, fair enough, but as you've realized, you can take a molecular test (it doesn't have to be a PCR test) within three days of boarding. 

You ask why does Canada not use the same time table, so let me ask you, why does the US still require us to provide a negative test before flying into the US when Canada is dropping this requirement for entry to Canada at the end of the month? The answer to both questions is the same: the health authorities in each country have based their regulations on their assessment of COVID and the most appropriate practises for mitigation of the threat it poses. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, dave34 said:

Sure they are smarter than all other cruise ports that require a antigen test 2 or 3 days before boarding. Thanks for setting me straight.  ADIOS

It's not just Canada that requires pre-boarding testing within 1 day.  EU ports, including Barcelona, Rome/Civitavecchia, Athens, etc. also require this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

It's not just Canada that requires pre-boarding testing within 1 day.  EU ports, including Barcelona, Rome/Civitavecchia, Athens, etc. also require this.

Can you go to those countries without a test? NO. That’s  my point you can go to Canada land , air or sea without a test but they won’t use the rules that most cruise lines are using to board. I have no problem with testing just don’t say it’s for safety when I can go anywhere in Canada with Covid but can’t get on board with a two day negative antigen test. 

10 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Can you go to those countries without a test? NO. That’s  my point you can go to Canada land , air or sea without a test but they won’t use the rules that most cruise lines are using to board. I have no problem with testing just don’t say it’s for safety when I can go anywhere in Canada with Covid but can’t get on board with a two day negative antigen test. 

Actually you can enter Greece without a COVID test if you are vaccinated and you can enter Spain without a test if you’re coming from a low risk area (including Canada). 

1 minute ago, XLVIII said:

Actually you can enter Greece without a COVID test if you are vaccinated and you can enter Spain without a test if you’re coming from a low risk area (including Canada). 

Thank you so much. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Can you go to those countries without a test? NO. That’s  my point you can go to Canada land , air or sea without a test but they won’t use the rules that most cruise lines are using to board.I could understand it if the place the cruise is going required it, but to board to leave Canada I don’t understand. I have no problem with testing just don’t say it’s for safety when I can go anywhere in Canada with Covid but can’t get on board with a two day negative antigen test. 

42 minutes ago, dave34 said:

• Yes.
  • Who said tests were for your safety?
  • Legally you cannot go anywhere in Canada with COVID.
  • Why are you so hung up on test window period?

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

• Yes.
  • Who said tests were for your safety?
  • Legally you cannot go anywhere in Canada with COVID.
  • Why are you so hung up on test window period?

Just tell me why they won’t use the cruise line testing rules that have been working since November? What is their reasoning for using different rules? If you  don’t know that’s ok. I have no problem with testing but after all that people have been through the last two years why make it harder than it has to be? 

46 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Just tell me why they won’t use the cruise line testing rules that have been working since November? What is their reasoning for using different rules? If you  don’t know that’s ok. I have no problem with testing but after all that people have been through the last two years why make it harder than it has to be? 

Why? Perhaps because unlike you, health experts don't believe the testing rules in place in a foreign country are suitable for the Canadian situation. Perhaps because Canadian health experts do not agree with your assessment of how well testing rules in the US are working.

Canada is not the US. We are a foreign country. Sometimes we do things differently.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Boarding a cruise ship in Vancouver that travels into the US is leaving Canada and entering the US right there in the harbor. Therefore we are all crossing a border and the rules for leaving Canada end entering the US apply.    

• Like 1

Hi. I am considering two back-to-back cruises on Zaandam. The first leaving from Port Everglades and ending in Montreal. Then the second departing Montreal and ending in Boston. These cruises are not offered by HAL as one cruise. They would have to be booked as two separate cruises. I know that I would need to test in order to take the second cruise. Who can I call at HAL to find out if the cruise line will help me with this testing while on the ship or if I would need to debark the ship, test and then re-board for the second cruise.  Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

1 hour ago, seatrial said:

I am considering two back-to-back cruises on Zaandam. The first leaving from Port Everglades and ending in Montreal. Then the second departing Montreal and ending in Boston. These cruises are not offered by HAL as one cruise. They would have to be booked as two separate cruises.

Those consecutive cruises aren't offered for a reason: they are a violation of the PVSA. 
No foreign flagged ship is allowed to transport a passenger from one US port to another without stopping at a distant foreign port. Canada is a near foreign port. 

I am completely confused by the prolonged  discussion on whether or not the GOC apps and regulations for pre cruise make sense. Has no one ever filled out a federal government form or tax document in their entire life?
Why then would you suddenly expect ANYTHING generated at the federal bureaucratic level to make sense? Now combine that with provincial or state policy, overlaid with cruise line company policy. Expecting any result short of chaos is simply unrealistic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Those consecutive cruises aren't offered for a reason: they are a violation of the PVSA. 
No foreign flagged ship is allowed to transport a passenger from one US port to another without stopping at a distant foreign port. Canada is a near foreign port. 

Thanks, Ruth. That explains why the Boston to Montreal and Montreal to Boston are two separate legs. So, booking them B2B is no problem, but they cannot be combined into one sailing?