JamieLogical's March 19 Summit Sailing

JamieLogical

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

He has shingles. The "pulled muscle" pain he was experiencing was actually nerve pain from the shingles. Apparently the rash shows up 2-4 days after the pain. He is only 42 years old! We aren't even eligible for the vaccine!

I got a relatively minor case of the shingles in my early 40s.  I can't imagine having a severe case.  Got the vaccine a few years ago.  The first dose caused a very sore arm for several days.  The second was nothing.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

So, my husband went back to urgent care today with a rash that began appearing yesterday. He has shingles. The "pulled muscle" pain he was experiencing was actually nerve pain from the shingles. Apparently the rash shows up 2-4 days after the pain. He is only 42 years old! We aren't even eligible for the vaccine!

They are prescribing an anti-viral and and a steroid and say he should start feeling some relief in about two days. Since the earliest I can be home is Thursday evening, we have decided I should just stay for my B2B, since he should be feeling somewhat better by then.

Sorry to hear that your husband has shingles. I hear that is so painful. Not much you could do even if you were there. Hope he feels better soon.

Laura

Enjoying your review - thank you.  I had Opthalmic shingles 2 weeks ago ( in my eye on on my face) The anti-viral drugs work well if taken quickly. Mine stopped spreading around 48hours after starting them. Needed painkillers for several days. Still inflamed a bit and sensitive but much better.  Hope his clears up soon. Enjoy the rest of the cruise and the B2B! 

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Any estimate yet on how many passengers are on your cruise? From your pictures, it doesn't look like it's too crowded.

I have asked around and told about 600 by a couple of different crew members, but nothing official from an officer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iluvthe-c said:

PXL_20220320_231813662.jpg

Is this the Blue Cheese Souffle?

I had it on the Reflection recently and it was divine!  Mine was served in a small custard cup with no sauce.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Yes. The one I had at the MDR on the Equinox was served in a small ramekin, but this one was just as delicious. The sauces were a port wine reduction and a blue cheese sauce.

1 hour ago, Les43 said:

Enjoying your review - thank you.  I had Opthalmic shingles 2 weeks ago ( in my eye on on my face) The anti-viral drugs work well if taken quickly. Mine stopped spreading around 48hours after starting them. Needed painkillers for several days. Still inflamed a bit and sensitive but much better.  Hope his clears up soon. Enjoy the rest of the cruise and the B2B! 

Oh my gosh! I was reading about that variation and I sound truly terrible. Glad yours has been clearing up. My husband's seems to be effecting his upper right thigh/hip area. His rash is on his leg and buttocks. The main reason I wish I were there to help is that we live in a condo that is on the second floor, so he has to do stairs to pick up food and such that is delivered. Also, he has been unable to drive, because it's his right leg. Fortunately, our friends have been helping out on my absence.

11 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Oh my gosh! I was reading about that variation and I sound truly terrible. Glad yours has been clearing up. My husband's seems to be effecting his upper right thigh/hip area. His rash is on his leg and buttocks. The main reason I wish I were there to help is that we live in a condo that is on the second floor, so he has to do stairs to pick up food and such that is delivered. Also, he has been unable to drive, because it's his right leg. Fortunately, our friends have been helping out on my absence.

He needs to make sure he doesn't go around anyone who has ia not immune to chicken pox.  Shingles itself isn't contagious but it can spread chicken pox.  I had it a few years back in my eye area also.  I was in bed for about 5 days.  I felt awful.  

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

So, my husband went back to urgent care today with a rash that began appearing yesterday. He has shingles. The "pulled muscle" pain he was experiencing was actually nerve pain from the shingles. Apparently the rash shows up 2-4 days after the pain. He is only 42 years old! We aren't even eligible for the vaccine!

They are prescribing an anti-viral and and a steroid and say he should start feeling some relief in about two days. Since the earliest I can be home is Thursday evening, we have decided I should just stay for my B2B, since he should be feeling somewhat better by then.

A friend I work out with had the same.  He thought he was having a heart attack before the rash showed.  Nerve pain is just awful.  Hope he feels better quickly!

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

OMG, I'm so glad it's something manageable at least. My mom had shingles and it's absolutely no fun. I'm so sorry he came down with it right during your cruise time. I hope he's on the mend soon!

35 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

25th-anniversary-martini.png.dcb0fb16f053b83fa482b87b590aceb3.png

That sounds delish! I don't recall seeing that on our last cruise on X (wayyyyy back in Feb 202 HAHA!) and I do love me some martini bar offerings!  I'll definitely need to look for that when we cruise on Eclipse in a few months... yummmy!

Sorry to hear of your husbands Shingle outbreak.   Last year I came down with it after my Shingles Vaccination.  I had the original 2 shot series and my Doctor gave me the Shingrix.   A couple weeks later I came down with a mild but painful outbreak on the tip of my ear and head.  None of the pain killers worked  until my Doctor prescribed Gabapentin -   took 12  hours to work but it eliminated all the pain and after about a month I was back to normal.    Might have your husband ask his doctor about it.

16 minutes ago, nunuc2000 said:

That sounds delish! I don't recall seeing that on our last cruise on X (wayyyyy back in Feb 202 HAHA!) and I do love me some martini bar offerings!  I'll definitely need to look for that when we cruise on Eclipse in a few months... yummmy!

I’m also tempted to try this but I had a bad reaction to a Long Island Iced Tea in college and swore off mixed drinks.  Maybe I could try again?

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have asked around and told about 600 by a couple of different crew members, but nothing official from an officer.

Thanks! We're loving the pictures. Something tells me the Summit is going to be a little more crowded when we go on our Greenland/Iceland B2B in August. 😎

51 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry to hear of your husbands Shingle outbreak.   Last year I came down with it after my Shingles Vaccination.  I had the original 2 shot series and my Doctor gave me the Shingrix.   A couple weeks later I came down with a mild but painful outbreak on the tip of my ear and head.  None of the pain killers worked  until my Doctor prescribed Gabapentin -   took 12  hours to work but it eliminated all the pain and after about a month I was back to normal.    Might have your husband ask his doctor about it.

Hey you have a new profile pic - You two look great!! Almost like a pair of "Bonds" lol! 

One of our friends also developed shingles after getting the vaccination... and much like yours, it was a relatively mild case thankfully, and her doctor said that was likely due to having previously rec'd the vaccine (about a year before). It can be such a nasty and painful virus... glad you got back to normal before too long.