CCL stock for OBC credit questions

cruisetravlr

I have been seeing snippets where it seems that anyone who owns at least 100 shares of CCL gets an OBC for HAL.  Can anyone verify this? We have 150 shares of CCL with a stock trading company and this is the first I am seeing anything on this. Also, how would I apply for the OBC? Thanks to these wonderful boards I heard about, requested and received our military OBC! We are sailing on the Eurodam on 3/9. Crossing fingers for a negative Covid test!  🤞🏻

I bought my first 100 at $38 12 years ago.  and yes, while I've lost about $2000 in value if I were to sell them now, I also have received about $850 in OBC and a decent amount of dividends.   It's not a loss though. It's a long term investment that supports my cruising habit.

• Like 11

We bought our first 100 shares at $56 (ouch). In 2020, we bought additional shares at $12, and sold them at $24. What we have left now cost us the equivalent of $6. We’ve had way over $600 in Stockholder OBC with more to come, so those remaining 100 shares don’t owe us a dime.

• Like 5

Just a suggestion (based on experience) not to get discouraged if you inside that 4 week period (you are supposed to apply for the shareholder credit prior to that period).  Here is what you do.   E-mail or Fax your request (with proof that you own the shares) as specified in the instructions.  Make sure to print out a hard copy of your request as proof that you made the request.  When you are packing for the cruise take along that copy and the backup document (showing you own the stock).  If you do not see the credit added to your onboard account by the 2nd day of the cruise just pay a visit to the Guest Relations/Pursers Desk and bring along your documents.  In all the cases we have done this the credit was granted (although it can take a few days).

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MoneyGuy said:

We’re cruising HAL April 7 and don’t currently own shares so I’d better get on this. 

Yep, time to get on it. I have purchased the shares on one day, owned them overnight, documented that I owned the shares with an online account statement, sold the shares the next day, filed the paperwork with CCL, and received the Onboard Credit a week or so later. Made $100 of OBC plus $160 on the shares...

• Haha 1

Wow, thanks for all the info! We have owned our shares for about 7 years and I never knew about this. It may be too late for this one but I will try anyway. And I will definitely keep it in mind for future sailings.  Of course, I will be holding onto the stock as I am optimistic that one day the price will once again increase!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a suggestion (based on experience) not to get discouraged if you inside that 4 week period (you are supposed to apply for the shareholder credit prior to that period).  Here is what you do.   E-mail or Fax your request (with proof that you own the shares) as specified in the instructions.  Make sure to print out a hard copy of your request as proof that you made the request.  When you are packing for the cruise take along that copy and the backup document (showing you own the stock).  If you do not see the credit added to your onboard account by the 2nd day of the cruise just pay a visit to the Guest Relations/Pursers Desk and bring along your documents.  In all the cases we have done this the credit was granted (although it can take a few days).

Hank

This is great info. I will get everything together and try the email route. It can’t hurt to try, can it? 🤔 Then if that fails, go to Guest Relations.  It is an 11-day cruise, so that might help in the timing. I just can’t believe I am only finding out about this. Gotta love the cruise critic boards.  💕

• Like 2

I emailed my request 2/21 and got my notification yesterday for my cruise on the 14th.

I bought my shares at $45 in February 2020, a week before the bottom dropped out. It’s going to take a long time and many, many cruises to make it worth it!

• Like 3

It took five days to process our emailed February 25 request.

So much easier now via email than faxing or snail mail, and it’s great to get their email confirmation. HAL also automatically sends the new OBC info to our booking record with the TA, so it shows up there, too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Yep, time to get on it. I have purchased the shares on one day, owned them overnight, documented that I owned the shares with an online account statement, sold the shares the next day, filed the paperwork with CCL, and received the Onboard Credit a week or so later. Made $100 of OBC plus $160 on the shares...

except for that pesky little tax on Short Term Capital Gains

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread had me curious as to how much we've gained through ownership of CCL stock.  DH says we purchased on April Fool's Day, 2010 at $39 per share.  We went right to town getting OBC by taking B2B Asia cruises in April-May 2010.  Later in 2010 I alone went on an Emerald Princess cruise with DD and family and because the shares were purchased in both our names I got my OBC on that trip too.  

In addition to all the dividends we've received a total of $9,450 in shareholder OBC.  Worth the purchase!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, leerathje said:

You beat us! We bought in at $8.02....

L.

I miss spoke. Went and actually checked what I got it at. It was $7.91. Yes, pretty much caught it dead bottom...shear luck.

Bought 200 shares, sold 100 a few months later at close to $15. Figured got free OBC for life:)

Edited by RedIguana
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

I’m not sure if anyone from CCL reads this, and I think our actual identities are protected on CC, BUT …

I’d be a little cautious about publicly stating, in writing, that I’d fraudulently claimed the stockholders benefit fully knowing I was NOT a stockholder at time of applying for the benefit, nor at the time of sailing.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m not sure if anyone from CCL reads this, and I think our actual identities are protected on CC, BUT …

I’d be a little cautious about publicly stating, in writing, that I’d fraudulently claimed the stockholders benefit fully knowing I was NOT a stockholder at time of applying for the benefit, nor at the time of sailing.

There is no requirement to being a shareholder at the time of sailing.  It is very loosey-goosey.   However considering they are in California short term capital gains rates (fed and state) can be as high as 50%

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

There is no requirement to being a shareholder at the time of sailing.  It is very loosey-goosey.   However considering they are in California short term capital gains rates (fed and state) can be as high as 50%

No, but you ARE supposed to be a shareholder at the time you apply. And I doubt there’s exactly a  law about it. However, if CCL feels people are scamming the benefit and publicly advising others how it’s done, eliminating the benefit for everyone would be yet another small cost saving measure they can implement at any time. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1