New to Cunard, question about evening attire

rockraiders

We are new to Cunard. We live in Florida and have a very casual life style. My husband does not own a tux or dark suit. He plans to wear khakis and long sleeve shirt for casual nights. My question is for gala nights. We are traveling in Europe for 2mos prior to our TA. He does not want to lug a suit or tux around Europe. If needed he will hire a tux on board. I was wondering if a sport coat will pass on gala nights. We will be in Britannia restaurant.

No it won't, if you want to eat in the Britannia restaurant on a Gala night your husband will need to wear a dark suit.

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

You might find it is cheaper to buy a suit and shirt etc in Southampton before boarding than to hire one on board. There are plenty of shops to choose from and varity of prices.

Good thought — and if you have just a minimal amount of leeway in you luggage you can bring it home with you.  Even in Florida a grown-up should be able to show up in a suit from time to time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Dont know how soon you will be travelling but they havent been hiring dinner suits/tuxedos onboard since Covid.

Yikes majortom10, we have friends, new to Cunard and also from Florida, traveling with us on a TA in May. The husband was planning on renting a tux onboard. Are you sure they currently not renting on board? The Cunard US is still promoting this option.

Thanks

Jack

7 hours ago, rockraiders said:

We are new to Cunard. We live in Florida and have a very casual life style. My husband does not own a tux or dark suit. He plans to wear khakis and long sleeve shirt for casual nights. My question is for gala nights. We are traveling in Europe for 2mos prior to our TA. He does not want to lug a suit or tux around Europe. If needed he will hire a tux on board. I was wondering if a sport coat will pass on gala nights. We will be in Britannia restaurant.

There are hundreds of thrift shops in florida where your hubbie can find a suit and a sports jacket for very low $$. Just bought two excellent blue blazers myself today for $10 each. Hardly ever worn, top of the line  and they fit perfectly.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rockraiders said:

The big issue is that you don't want to have to carry this stuff around europe with you for 2 months.  We  a bit of a similar issue this year too.   Is there anywhere that you go through twice e.g. do you fly to London -  where you can store a bag in a left-luggage location and pick it up pre-cruise. 

There is also a service where you can have luggage shipped from your home address to the ship direct - maybe not possible 2 months in advance - but maybe you arrange the bag to picked up from a friends and shipped ?  

Its not just your  man's suit - pretty easy to source as others have described. But you'll need dress up stuff, shoes etc which will be  of little to no use in Europe too.  

We're packing with carry-on sized bags/backpacks for our 6 weeks in Europe and a large checked bag for the cruise clothes which we will store while touring Europe. 

Edited by lissie

14 hours ago, rockraiders said:

You can always eat in the buffet on Gala nights where it's Smart Casual in the evenings or get room service that night.  The issue will still be a problem, though, if you want to go to the theatre or other venue.

• Like 1