What benefit would I actually see with a cash tip at bar on day 1 or 2?

Woody14

5 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I think every single post on this thread has made it evident tipping is personal.
So why do we care how others tip?  I think the 3 main reasons are curiosity, guilt and boredom. 

I agree,as an aside I wonder why posters feel the need to tell us how much they tip

Who needs to know? why do we need to know? Who even cares.

I expect the reasons/answer could fit into the categories of tippers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I agree,as an aside I wonder why posters feel the need to tell us how much they tip

Only our Uncle Benjamin knows the answer!

4 hours ago, labdoggomom said:

My husband tips well. Not obnoxious, but well. On our last cruise, the bartender started making our drinks when we walked in. Its the little things. 

That’s good service. But maybe the bartender would have done that regardless of a tip. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, labdoggomom said:

My husband tips well. Not obnoxious, but well. On our last cruise, the bartender started making our drinks when we walked in. Its the little things. 

That is fine if you always have the same drink, it wouldn't work for me as I tend to switch about a bit through the menu. 

But it would be nice to be served rather than ignored. I find it happens to me, but men seem to get served quicker. Is it to do with tipping I wonder 😕🤔.

Edited by laslomas
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:43 PM, JeanieC,Aston said:

Lots of people on here seem to need someone else’s opinion to form their own.

Like:

which cabin should I choose?
Which side of the ship should I be on?
convince me that line X is better than line Y?

is the drink package worth it?
should I pre-pay tips?
Why should I use a travel agent?
which itinerary is better -A or B?
etc., etc., etc.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Lots of people on here seem to need someone else’s opinion to form their own.

Like:

which cabin should I choose?
Which side of the ship should I be on?
convince me that line X is better than line Y?

is the drink package worth it?
should I pre-pay tips?
Why should I use a travel agent?
which itinerary is better -A or B?
etc., etc., etc.

Isn't that what a forum is for, to share and offer help and guidance????

Edited by laslomas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

That’s good service. But maybe the bartender would have done that regardless of a tip. 

That isn't the point. It is good service and better service that you should have expected. Therefore a gratuity certainly makes sense. It's a thank you. I appreciate your efforts.  it's not about....now given me something which is valued more than the tip I gave you...   Which is what the OP was getting at.

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

Isn't that what a forum is for, to share and offer help and guidance????

Exactly!  It's sharing opinions etc. No one has to do what any poster says.

So...if you don't think it should be about those things....what exactly should some post. Just critiques of their sailings? Just complaints?

Guess what? No one makes you read the threads you aren't interested in either! Isn't free speech grand!

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

That isn't the point. It is good service and better service that you should have expected. Therefore a gratuity certainly makes sense. It's a thank you. I appreciate your efforts.  it's not about....now given me something which is valued more than the tip I gave you...   Which is what the OP was getting at.

the post I was responding to began with: “My husband tips well” and it was implied that’s the reason for good service. 

I agree with you. The tip is a reward. Not an incentive. 

29 minutes ago, laslomas said:

That is fine if you always have the same drink, it wouldn't work for me as I tend to switch about a bit through the menu. 

But it would be nice to be served rather than ignored. I find it happens to me, but men seem to get served quicker. Is it to do with tipping I wonder 😕🤔.

You can kindly mention that you switch things up, or kindly say "Thank you so much, but I was going to order a _____ this time."  

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:35 AM, LGW59 said:

Many treat it as bribery.  Then "many" should mind their own damn business and they do what works for them and others do what works for them.  

This is a discussion board- not action in the real world. It would be pretty boring if everyone agreed. The point of this kind of thread is to encourage opposing opinions. Gives one something to think about and some understanding about what others do and think. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

This is a discussion board- not action in the real world. It would be pretty boring if everyone agreed. The point of this kind of thread is to encourage opposing opinions. Gives one something to think about and some understanding about what others do and think. 

Of course it is and we all should tip in the way that we feels works best for us, leaving the autos on IMO.  I do take exception to when someone calls it a bribe, but whatever, I still do what I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Of course it is and we all should tip in the way that we feels works best for us, leaving the autos on IMO.  I do take exception to when someone calls it a bribe, but whatever, I still do what I want.

You should take exception when someone calls it a bribe. It's a word with nothing but negative connotations. And everyone should be reminded to choose their words carefully. The words you choose say quite a lot about the tone you are attempting to convey.  The OP's posts are a prime example. 

If the individual truly did not mean to convey a negative, s/he would have said something along the lines of "incentive". However, I think it was meant exactly as written.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

And everyone should be reminded to choose their words carefully. The words you choose say quite a lot about the tone you are attempting to convey.  The OP's posts are a prime example. 

If the individual truly did not mean to convey a negative, s/he would have said something along the lines of "incentive". However, I think it was meant exactly as written.

I definitely chose the word 'benefit' carefully but it was not meant as a negative.