What benefit would I actually see with a cash tip at bar on day 1 or 2?

Woody14

It is not that I have anything against tipping and I seek out my favourite bartenders at the end and give them an extra tip but reading on the boards all the conversation about tipping in advance I am curious what I would actually see as far as a benefit.    I can't see them giving me a much different experience is i slip them a dollar or 2.   maybe if I dropped a 20 or 50 maybe but still I have a premium drink package so why should I tip to start?

• Haha 2

So, at most you'd likely have the benefit of a big fat smile on the bartender's  face as he accepts the tip. But let's be clear- it's a bribe.. Lots of braggarts who swear they get better service than anybody else by doing this. But since we've  always received excellent service from any of the bartenders we've encountered on Celebrity, I'm not sure how you'd go about measuring that. Some claim they get a bigger pour. I've found that with the beverage package all you need to do is ask.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Woody14 said:

It is not that I have anything against tipping and I seek out my favourite bartenders at the end and give them an extra tip but reading on the boards all the conversation about tipping in advance I am curious what I would actually see as far as a benefit.    I can't see them giving me a much different experience is i slip them a dollar or 2.   maybe if I dropped a 20 or 50 maybe but still I have a premium drink package so why should I tip to start?

If you do not experience value or 'extra special' service, then there is no need to tip an extra $ or $$ to bartenders or other staff with whom you may come into contact regularly, throughout the sailing.

Moot question do you not think? Or is this rhetorical, in nature?

bon voyage

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mom says said:

So, at most you'd likely have the benefit of a big fat smile on the bartender's  face as he accepts the tip. But let's be clear- it's a bribe.. Lots of braggarts who swear they get better service than anybody else by doing this. But since we've  always received excellent service from any of the bartenders we've encountered on Celebrity, I'm not sure how you'd go about measuring that. Some claim they get a bigger pour. I've found that with the beverage package all you need to do is ask.

To be clear - I have no problem with this type of "bribe"....

As this type of "bribe" has generally been good for us and the person being bribed does not always perform as expected, e.g. a room attendant on one of our sailings, yet it was fine as they received no more at the end of the sailing as they were standing there with their hands out.

It is all a matter of our personal expectations, perspectives and desires for service and that is fine, too. I accept that some of us cannot afford to pay bribes up front or for that matters at the end as we have paid our gratuities vis-a-vis other means (pre- or post- paid within our budget or not).

A search of the X forum will bring up many discussions on this topic, which you could have resurrected, if needed.

bon voyage

• Like 4

If you are considering extra tipping, in appreciation of good service or in anticipation of good service, please do so, in whatever fashion you like.

Generally what we do is tip along the way, because that’s what we choose to do when we sail. In a lot of cases, it allows us to establish a little more of a relationship with the staff member charged with assisting us while on board. Now, in fairness, tipping alone is not the “magic bullet.” It is important to put a bit more effort in terms of your interaction with staff, but it is well worth it to us. It is important to us to try to see crew members in a more personal light, by engaging them, whenever possible, with questions geared more toward them, as well as any family they might have.

We have developed a small number of long term relationships with certain Celebrity staff. It may not be like a best friend, but when we see them on subsequent sailings, it is certainly a step above for us.

Randy

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The "bribe" talk always makes me laugh.  Tip what you want, when you want...or not.  

I agree completely with you.  My comment was based on the wording by the OP of "benefit" associated with gratuities.  That implies to me of expecting something more than just showing appreciation for the service provided.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All gratuities included means, to me, all gratuities included for expected service. If someone does something beyond expectations then I would offer a further tip. When people continue to tip as they did before the all included, AI simply becomes a way to increase the cruise price without apparently increasing the cruise price. As Americans, I understand the urge to tip in person. But I personally seek out cruiselines where tips are included as I hate going around handing out money all the time. It makes me feel like the service I receive is dependent on  these handouts. But I often feel very much in the minority with this opinion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:
2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Moot question do you not think? Or is this rhetorical, in nature?

A search of the X forum will bring up many discussions on this topic, which you could have resurrected, if needed.

It was a legitimate question as you note there are many discussions on the topic especially around giving the $1/2 tip with drinks and I am really trying to figure out if I should be doing that or stick with my current system of giving a extra tip at the end with the bartenders that impacted my experience.

52 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

What benefit would you be expecting?  Gratuities should be a sign of appreciation for service provided to you - not a bribe.

that is a good question, I don't honestly think I am expecting anything but with all the threads and discussion about this I was trying to figure out if I am missing out on something.

3 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

It was a legitimate question as you note there are many discussions on the topic especially around giving the $1/2 tip with drinks and I am really trying to figure out if I should be doing that or stick with my current system of giving a extra tip at the end with the bartenders that impacted my experience.

w - do whatever you are most comfortable with.

This topic along with a few others only go to point out that what one is comfortable with, including such things as what cabin to select, is totally personal and individual decisions.

bon voyage

25 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

that is a good question, I don't honestly think I am expecting anything but with all the threads and discussion about this I was trying to figure out if I am missing out on something.

In our case the reason for providing a gratuity with each drink service beginning on day 1 is to assure that bartender recognizes our appreciation.  With all to the different venues and bartenders who serve us over the length of the cruise, it is too difficult for us to keep track of who we want to recognize at the end of the cruise.  And while there are some who we get to know over the course of the cruise, there are many who only serve us once.

Separately, our C&A tier level provides what to us is the bulk of our daily beverage consumption, and it is at n/c to us via vouchers.  We want to recognize our bartenders who serve us through our vouchers as, although it is at n/c to us, they are still providing a service to us.  So we want to provide our gratuity to them as they serve us, and for the same reasons as mentioned.

But none of that is for any separate intended benefit to us other than for the ease of keeping up with the gratuities as we go. 

• Thanks 1

I think it's more important to be a "good" customer.  You're more likely to get better attention if you're someone who isn't a pain to deal with versus one who gives a few extra bucks up front with the expectation that the worker is going to be at their beck and call.

• Like 3

Before the pandemic, I would always tip at the end of the night if the service or attitude of the bartenders were enjoyable. But one or two special bartenders might stand out and I’d tip a little more heavily, especially at the end of the cruise. 
One problem was pointed out to me by a bartender that I enjoyed, was the ship policy was all cash tips were to be pooled.  Did notice he would put any cash tips in a jar, assuming it was collected at the end of the night and “pooled” whatever that meant.

I’ll continue my approach, but just wanted to point out that your private tip may not go in full to the individual you give it to.
Just my 2 cents 🙂

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Not the impression when I read these boards. 😱

Many treat it as bribery.

Many treat it as bribery.  Then "many" should mind their own damn business and they do what works for them and others do what works for them.  

• Like 2

We have been sailing on Celebrity since 2001, in that entire time I have always tipped out at the end of the "drinking session" similar to what I would do at home. That process has changed over the years as packages were introduced and gratuities were included and for the past 10 plus years we have sailed in suites.

However, I still carry some small bills in my pocket if I stop at a bar for a beverage.

I do not considered a tip at the end of service a bribe. However, if you walk up and slap a $50 down on the bar and declare there is more of the same if you keep me happy, a bribe.

I have never received poor service at any bar on a X ship, however, with the proliferation of packages I have experienced a slowdown in service due to higher demand and fewer staff.  We will usually search out a lounge/bar with music before dinner and I have experienced quicker service on repeat visits  because the server remembers previous visits, and essentially follows the money. Is it a bribe..... we have no set plans to visit any specific bar on a repeat basis, we just go where the pre dinner music is appealing.  We have always tipped the server and will continue to do so.

• Like 2

I had thought all tips are now included on Celebrity. Plus when we have cruised Celebrity the bar tenders were to busy to remember who gave what extra tip. But if the ordered drink is unusually good, I have been known to leave an extra tip to the bartender involved.