What benefit would I actually see with a cash tip at bar on day 1 or 2?

Woody14

1 minute ago, Dolebludger said:

I had thought all tips are now included on Celebrity. Plus when we have cruised Celebrity the bar tenders were to busy to remember who gave what extra tip. But if the ordered drink is unusually good, I have been known to leave an extra tip to the bartender involved.

Tips ARE included and there is nothing wrong with not including additional or including additional if one desires.  

• Thanks 1

We changed our tipping routine (previously at end of the cruise) after talking to a friend that has worked on cruise ships for years. She is in a non-tipped position. But she mentioned that the crew is SO happy when they have a day off in-port (rare!) and have some extra cash as it goes a LONG way when having to buy things in expensive port cities. And IMH,  I I just don't trust these big companies to get every $ I add on a bill as a gratuity to actually make it to the employees. And I don't have to spend the last day of a cruise hunting everyone down to give them a tip so it's a win-win! 🙂 

• Like 3

We have found that most servers ask, sometimes repeatedly, that we acknowledge their service on the survey card dropped at Guest Relations at cruise end and/or the online survey.  They say it is that written acknowledgment and recognition that goes so much farther in the advancement of their career, perhaps more than a few dollars here and there.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

With the drink package, do you just tip cash? I've never had a package before and if I remember correctly, tip is automatically included on the bill for each drink when buying a la carte.

My understanding that it is included with a drink package as well.

29 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

With the drink package, do you just tip cash? I've never had a package before and if I remember correctly, tip is automatically included on the bill for each drink when buying a la carte.

Tips are included, anything more re cash is optional

• Like 1

What benefit are you looking for or expect?

they give great service to everyone and hopefully serve the next person waiting. 

You want a extra shot.   Just ask as you have the package.

I have done many B2B and gave some extra at the end of the first cruise.   On the 2nd cruise I still received the same great service that I had on the first one and didn’t expect anything extra ot notice any.  

Do what makes you feel happy.   I would never stop anyone from giving extra at anytime as the employees really deserve all they get but don’t expect or demand any special privileges for doing so. 

A rating of 10 means a lot to them and if you are constantly getting served before someone else they may give them a low rating and it can cost them their job.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

Yes, I tip at the start of the cruise, and then $5-10 per day for each bartender that serves me at the bar I frequent.  We also make it a point to get to know the bartenders as people, and not simply treat them as servers.   I was on the Reflection in Nov and Jan.  In January, I asked one of the bartenders a very specific question about his son, based on our conversation in November.  He was floored and said "You remembered that?"  "Of course I did!" and we chatted about it.  

Knowing they're appreciated absolutely makes a difference in the overall experience, and if they're more attentive as a result, that's great.  On our last cruise, at the Sunset, I ordered a bloody mary one morning and DW ordered a mimosa (hold the orange juice).   The next 4 mornings, we headed to the Sunset after breakfast to enjoy the view & relax.  A bloody Mary and a citrus-free mimosa simply showed up at our table.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, capsplace said:

We have found that most servers ask, sometimes repeatedly, that we acknowledge their service on the survey card dropped at Guest Relations at cruise end and/or the online survey.  They say it is that written acknowledgment and recognition that goes so much farther in the advancement of their career, perhaps more than a few dollars here and there.  

If someone takes good care of me, I do both.  I give them a great review (by name) and offer some additional cash.  Could be a dollar here and there for drinks, or $50 to my room steward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, miched said:

What benefit are you looking for or expect?

As noted before I wasn't really expecting any but when you read the many different boards on tipping there were many posters who seemed to put out there was some value for tipping early or 1 or 2 dollars extra a drink.    I couldn't figure out if I was missing out on something or if this was more just personal style.     I would totally agree that they give great service no matter what and I find more value in getting to know the bartenders personally.    But really I was wanting to challenge the ones that seemed to flaunt the advance tipping thing as the only way to get good service and we are all missing out if we don't

I pre-tip at the bar I know I’ll spend the most time at.

I have found that it:

1. gets me served more quickly without long waits

2. often gets me generous pours, and

3. typically gets my “usual” put in front of me before I even ask.

How does it “insure prompt service” if you only tip at the END of the cruise?? The staff have no idea who will be a generous tipper and who will not. And no, I do not agree that a smile and kind word alone will get you better service. It will get you adequate service.

YMMV, but I certainly agree that one should tip as they see fit and there is no “right” answer to the tipping question. 🥃

• Like 1

Yes, the gratuities are included in the cost of the drink, that said, these folks are working for peanuts! This is what I do, (because I want to) before the cruise I go to the bank and buy a couple hundred dollars in $2.00 bills. I use these to tip every few drinks and they love it. Does it get me better service? Heck yes! Whenever they see me coming they have a drink waiting or if my wife wants some chips or a snack, it magically appears on the bar. After a day or two no matter what venue I am in I never have to wait for a drink and am greeted everywhere with a smile. Call it whatever you want, but when I go into a port and see the crew using those two dollar bills I get a big smile too! You do what you feel is right and I will continue to tip freely throughout the cruise. I have been blessed being able to cruise often so I will continue share.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I pre-tip at the bar I know I’ll spend the most time at.

I have found that it:

1. gets me served more quickly without long waits

2. often gets me generous pours, and

3. typically gets my “usual” put in front of me before I even ask.

How does it “insure prompt service” if you only tip at the END of the cruise?? The staff have no idea who will be a generous tipper and who will not. And no, I do not agree that a smile and kind word alone will get you better service. It will get you adequate service.

YMMV, but I certainly agree that one should tip as they see fit and there is no “right” answer to the tipping question. 🥃

You shouldn't HAVE to insure prompt service- that should be a given. Tips are meant to reward someone for having given you good service. Money given in advance is a different thing and intended to get the giver special service. 

• Like 2

Recently being on the Equinox and in talking with servers and bar staff we have learned how brutal the COVID a experience has been for them.    They don’t offer this information we ask how being home for such a long period was for them.    In general they were happy to be with family….but not happy to be unemployed.    

The few extra dollars we gave in tips during our cruise was well worth the little we could do and hope it helps!     

• Like 2

TIPS is an acronym for "to insure prompt service".  This would imply you give tips before.  We tip a bit here and there.  During Covid, servers can come and go.  We don't tip anything crazy, just $2-5 depending on how long we've hung out. We do notice faster service during busy times.  That is not why we do it.  We do it to show extra appreciation.  It is a very personal choice.  

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Tips ARE included and there is nothing wrong with not including additional or including additional if one desires.  

You are correct to point out that people can and do whatever they please. Tipping for good service received is a lovely recognition of that either after each drink, day or at the end of the cruise. However tipping with the expectation of receiving a superior service to others is a bribe and I would think an insult to the staff who work hard to provide a great service to all guests whether they provide a ‘bribe’ or not. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

You are correct to point out that people can and do whatever they please. Tipping for good service received is a lovely recognition of that either after each drink, day or at the end of the cruise. However tipping with the expectation of receiving a superior service to others is a bribe and I would think an insult to the staff who work hard to provide a great service to all guests whether they provide a ‘bribe’ or not. 

then consider me guilty

55 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

I’ve never had a server say “No thank you” to a pre-tip.

Guess you’ve never tipped (or bribed) a maitre’d for a good table.

Different strokes… 🥂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julma said:

TIPS is an acronym for "to insure prompt service".  This would imply you give tips before.  We tip a bit here and there.  During Covid, servers can come and go.  We don't tip anything crazy, just $2-5 depending on how long we've hung out. We do notice faster service during busy times.  That is not why we do it.  We do it to show extra appreciation.  It is a very personal choice.  

Sorry but “The oft-repeated story of "tips" meaning "to insure prompt service" is in fact an urban legend. “ 

Snopes:”Tip is an old word, and it has nothing to do with either acronyms or the act of attempting to influence quality of service. Although the word has many meanings, both as a verb and as a noun, the use of the term as it applies to monetary rewards to servants dates to the 1700s. It first appeared in this context as a verb (“Then I, Sir, tips me the Verger with half a Crown” from the 1706 George Farquhar play The Beaux Stratagem) and was first recorded as a noun in 1755. However, the use of tip to describe the act of giving something to another (where that list of possible ‘somethings’ could include small sums of money, intelligence on horse races, or the latest silly joke) goes back to 1610. Tip slipped into the language as underworld slang, with the verb ‘to tip’ (meaning ‘to give to or share with’) being used by shady characters as part of the then-current argot of petty criminals.”

Edited by 5waldos