What benefit would I actually see with a cash tip at bar on day 1 or 2?

Woody14

10 hours ago, D C said:

Certainly sounds that way with the 'claims' in there.  Perhaps the cruise line is more trustworthy when they bill you separately than if they say they're included? 

That was not my intention, at all. I was sincerely trying to learn whether someone would tip on board the same whether tips were included or not. Although I did forget that most lines who do not wrap a tip into the original price tend to bill passengers a set amount daily for gratuities and the majority of people leave those in place except for exceptional situations. (And in many cases, the cruiseline includes it in the original price to make it difficult for the small percentage of people who automatically reject the daily tip for no better reason than "I can't afford it" to do so.)This would mean that the onboard experience was pretty much the same. I had not taken that into account. 

It was a question of human behavior. Some restaurants automatically add a tip- 18% or 20%, as a line item on a credit card receipt. But then add another line labeled "tip" to the receipt.  Since the 18-20% is my usual tip in a restaurant, I don't add more except in exceptional cases. But my first automatic response is to write in a tip (or leave a cash tip, if that is my custom). Like somehow, unless I write it in, it isn't really a tip. It is a matter of psychological manipulation (someone was paid good money to come up with this). And I wonder if that plays a part in automatically tipping in a bar even when a 20% drink tip is included. If that 20% was not included, would people then tip twice as much or more? As a student of human behavior, I find that to be an interesting question. 

Edited by 5waldos

I don’t think any subject has been beaten to death on CC more than tipping. Generally I agree it’s simply a personal decision, and as such there is no correct process to follow. For myself, I always carry cash and tip the bartenders when I feel they deserve it. Considering the thousands of dollars we spend on cruising, I always find it amusing how some people get suddenly cost conscience regarding tipping. 
But there is one area that I do tend to go a little overboard…., and that’s the cabin steward. Like many others, I would usually wait till the end of the cruise to add an extra tip if it was warranted. I have changed this process, and if after a day or two go by and I’m really pleased with the stewards performance, I tip him or her periodically thru the cruise in cash. One factor I always notice is when the steward remembers my first name. Usually when I pass my steward in the hall, and he or she says something like “Good morning Mr Michael, or have a nice trip ashore Ms Linda…., well, you get the picture. 
Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with and don’t stress out. 

See you on the next tack 😁

On 3/9/2022 at 6:25 AM, 5waldos said:

That was not my intention, at all. I was sincerely trying to learn whether someone would tip on board the same whether tips were included or not. Although I did forget that most lines who do not wrap a tip into the original price tend to bill passengers a set amount daily for gratuities and the majority of people leave those in place except for exceptional situations. (And in many cases, the cruiseline includes it in the original price to make it difficult for the small percentage of people who automatically reject the daily tip for no better reason than "I can't afford it" to do so.)This would mean that the onboard experience was pretty much the same. I had not taken that into account. 

It was a question of human behavior. Some restaurants automatically add a tip- 18% or 20%, as a line item on a credit card receipt. But then add another line labeled "tip" to the receipt.  Since the 18-20% is my usual tip in a restaurant, I don't add more except in exceptional cases. But my first automatic response is to write in a tip (or leave a cash tip, if that is my custom). Like somehow, unless I write it in, it isn't really a tip. It is a matter of psychological manipulation (someone was paid good money to come up with this). And I wonder if that plays a part in automatically tipping in a bar even when a 20% drink tip is included. If that 20% was not included, would people then tip twice as much or more? As a student of human behavior, I find that to be an interesting question. 

With auto tips at bars/restaurants, its to ensure folks don't undertip.  If you're part of a party at ten, run up a pre-tip bill of $400, someone may only put down a $10 or a $20; same dynamic at a bar, order a $15-$20 drink, some will only tip a $1.

Which begs the question: 

Why does a bartender who pours a glass of $45 Macallan deserve a bigger tip than a glass of $12 house scotch ?

Why do family restaurant servers get tipped on serving a $15 entree but a steakhouse server gets percentage tipped on a $60 entree?  
When you think about it, percentage tipping makes no sense at all. 

Edited by mfs2k

49 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Which begs the question: 

Why does a bartender who pours a glass of $45 Macallan deserve a bigger tip than a glass of $12 house scotch ?

Why do family restaurant servers get tipped on serving a $15 entree but a steakhouse server gets percentage tipped on a $60 entree?  
When you think about it, percentage tipping makes no sense at all. 

Why does a bartender who pours a glass of $45 Macallan deserve a bigger tip than a glass of $12 house scotch ?  Good point.  I generally find an inside bar and an outside bar that I will frequent during my cruise.  Yes, I am one of those people who does give a tip up front on day one or two, following that, for each drink I order, I always hand the bartender $1/drink.

Why do family restaurant servers get tipped on serving a $15 entree but a steakhouse server gets percentage tipped on a $60 entree?  Another very valid point.  Herein lies the rub with % based tipping, to your point, no matter the cost of the total bill, the server did the same amount of work whether I had ravioli and husband has filet and lobster.  I'm not trying to regurgitate the tipping rights or wrongs, just saying there are valid points to be made by both points of view.

Until they come up with another system, I will continue to tip the way I always have, it is not the servers fault that we do this the way we do. 

• Like 3

Until they come up with another system, I will continue to tip the way I always have, it is not the servers fault that we do this the way we do. 

Isn’t the other system built in or prepaid tips? And paying decent wages to avoid the tip issue entirely? That is done in many places across the globe. But Americans have been brought up tipping even when other systems are in place. 

• Thanks 1

Whether you agree or not, the US has a system of paying gratuities to personal service providers. (Why some people feel that extends to postal workers, UPS drivers, etc is beyond me and I don't do it).  The fact that it is a % of service rendered is because: 1) it is likely directly related to how long the service performed service takes, or evens out over time.  Individuals can choose not to observe the customary way of doing things.  People who work in these positions receive less wages because of the system. Be aware that making a "statement "by paying less hurts only the individual providing the service. 

Also, no amount of posting here is going to change anyone's personal view on the matter.

The only reason cruise line resorted to pre-paid tips was because 1. deadbeats (my word) would conveniently disappear on the last night to avoid paying tips and 2) it was the only way to have anytime dining and not impact the tipping system and individuals based on duty station. People who come from a country that does not tip, need to understand that is how it works on these ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Why does a bartender who pours a glass of $45 Macallan deserve a bigger tip than a glass of $12 house scotch ?  Good point.  I generally find an inside bar and an outside bar that I will frequent during my cruise.  Yes, I am one of those people who does give a tip up front on day one or two, following that, for each drink I order, I always hand the bartender $1/drink.

Why do family restaurant servers get tipped on serving a $15 entree but a steakhouse server gets percentage tipped on a $60 entree?  Another very valid point.  Herein lies the rub with % based tipping, to your point, no matter the cost of the total bill, the server did the same amount of work whether I had ravioli and husband has filet and lobster.  I'm not trying to regurgitate the tipping rights or wrongs, just saying there are valid points to be made by both points of view.

Until they come up with another system, I will continue to tip the way I always have, it is not the servers fault that we do this the way we do. 

Yeah….that’s the traditional way it’s been done.  Is it equitable?  Not always.  But, it’s what we have.

Years ago, in college, I was a bartender trying to pay my way through.  Given I was working in a college town, there were some students who just didn’t have much money.  I appreciated what they did leave.

Then, there were the ones who were living off Mummy and Daddy, and would give me grief about tipping us (bartender, waitstaff, etc) only if we were “up to their standards”.  We have a name for those, which I can’t repeat here.  

I’ve seen the same sort of attitude with some on a cruise.

Bottom line, the waitstaff appreciates your tips.  If you give a dollar along with your drink, even though your tips are already included in your fare, they will do their level best to take care of you.

I find they remember what I’ve been drinking.  They check in with me more often.  I even had one bartender on the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas give my GF those expensive “foo-foo” glasses gratis even though she was just drinking a beer.

Tip a little.  It’s the right thing to do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I agree with the people here who tip extra for good service.  No other reason.   I do not tip as a strategy to be noticed, or get even better service, or get some other advantage.  

As someone unfamiliar with the nuances of tipping I agree with TeeRick. There appear to be certain categories of tippers.

1,. The everyone look at me, Im such a rich and generous tipper. 
2. I will tip you but what do I gain from this. 
3. I tip you because I feel sorry for you.

4.I tip you because it assuages my guilt. 

5. I tip you because I know I should, it’s culturally what’s expected. 

6. I tip you without needing your thanks,  so do it at the end of the cruise, after I have left.

7. I don’t tip at all I don’t believe in it. 

Im sure there are more categories, and many will fit into more than one. But an interesting social observation nevertheless of how people interact and place their personal values. 

5 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

As someone unfamiliar with the nuances of tipping I agree with TeeRick. There appear to be certain categories of tippers.

6. I tip you without needing your thanks,  so do it at the end of the cruise, after I have left.

Im sure there are more categories, and many will fit into more than one. But an interesting social observation nevertheless of how people interact and place their personal values. 

For someone not familiar, you are very very judgmental and I think you totally choose to misread TeeRicks post, and seems to me, putting words in his mouth, just MO of course.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1

Just now, 3red7s said:

Actually the the term TIPS comes from TO INSURE PROMPT SERVICE..

While convenient words, the use of 'tip' predates 'to insure proper service' by a very long time. No to mention 'tip' would not generally include the plural with an s

34 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

How are you unfamiliar with tipping?  At the very least it might be assumed that you have taken a cruise on Celebrity. So how can that be?  This most certainly is not what you have gleaned from the posts on this thread either.  So rather than your claim being that you have made an interesting social observation, i believe you are just choosing to be provocative.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

How are you unfamiliar with tipping?  At the very least it might be assumed that you have taken a cruise on Celebrity. So how can that be?  This most certainly is not what you have gleaned from the posts on this thread either.  So rather than your claim being that you have made an interesting social observation, i believe you are just choosing to be provocative.

You make some me interesting assumptions about my post. I didn’t say I was unfamiliar with tipping, I said I was unfamiliar with the nuances of tipping. I don’t think anyone is able to dispute what another has gleaned, surely that’s an individuals prerogative to comment in what  one has observed. I’m also not sure why you would see the post as provocative.
I personally find the very act of tipping  insulting to an individual. No one should have to earn a living at the behest of another’s whim to give a tip or not. If people were paid a decent living wage and the responsibility was placed on employers rather than the public to pay an employees  salary then it wouldn’t be an issue. It  creates a two tier system of master and servant which makes me feel very uncomfortable. it’s not practiced in many other countries, certainly not to the extent of the USA. In fact in Japan, servers would be very insulted to receive tips. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

I find it so disingenuous (this forum is one of the few places I would ever get to use that word!!) when posts pretend they are ‘unfamiliar’ or ‘unaccustomed’ to tipping. Just about Every society has some level of tipping. Many are certainly not at the level you see in the US, but most cultures leave change, round up, drop a few Euros or whatever for waitstaff, cab drivers, whatever. And those that live in some location with No tipping whatsoever, I assume they have traveled outside their hometown, especially if they are posting on a Cruise forum. 

And that list I quoted is quite……oh forget it, we know what the point of that is. I’ll just keep overtipping and making sure Everyone around me sees how much I hand over, making it the biggest deal I can and at the same time completely embarrassing the waitstaff and of course my wife….But that Is the point now that my kids are all grown up and moved out 

den

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

You make some me interesting assumptions about my post. I didn’t say I was unfamiliar with tipping, I said I was unfamiliar with the nuances of tipping. I don’t think anyone is able to dispute what another has gleaned, surely that’s an individuals prerogative to comment in what  one has observed. I’m also not sure why you would see the post as provocative.
I personally find the very act of tipping  insulting to an individual. No one should have to earn a living at the behest of another’s whim to give a tip or not. If people were paid a decent living wage and the responsibility was placed on employers rather than the public to pay an employees  salary then it wouldn’t be an issue. It  creates a two tier system of master and servant which makes me feel very uncomfortable. it’s not practiced in many other countries, certainly not to the extent of the USA. In fact in Japan, servers would be very insulted to receive tips. 

Why is it provocative?  First you knew exactly what you were looking to do here, each of your #1-7 judgments on how, when, if a person tips, your on a ship, tipping is the norm, whether gratuities are pre-paid and then one chooses to add additional, for whatever reason.  Love when people throw in the in fact you’re so servers would be…blah blah blah 

Whether servers are paid via tips or higher wages, the customer pays for it one way or another. 

What’s hard is to pay a different model than the competition because then you’re the outlier and your prices are out of whack. 

So no one on here has seen the guy who flashes the wad of cash to bar staff? People have openly admitted on these boards that they give tips to get a bigger pour or quicker service. Some people have been quite vociferous on other posts that they think it’s wrong to feel obligated to tip extra. Some sneak away at the end of a cruise to remove gratuities. Some including TeeRick (and apologies if he/she  felt I was mis-quoting them) suggest tipping should be seen as a gesture for good service provided after the service provided, not for self gratification or personal gain. I am just pointing out there are different categories of tippers,  not accusing or judging anyone of being in any particular category. My observational post has clearly touched a nerve with some.  

11 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

A very comprehensive list, and from reading numerous tipping posts over time most of the contributors probably recognise where they fit in. I admit that when reading the posts re tipping I am subconsciously slotting them in. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

A very comprehensive list, and from reading numerous tipping posts over time most of the contributors probably recognise where they fit in. I admit that when reading the posts re tipping I am subconsciously slotting them in. 😉

I agree,and I didn’t find the list provocative at all,,,it’s only provocative to those who would fit one of the categories.

As a Brit it always amuses me how ‘some’ Americans make a big deal over slipping a $ to a barman……I can slip a $ to a barman and nobody would ever know,similar to TeeRicks post.

Some people just love to hear the bell ring.

I agree with everything Sunflower33 has wrote.

• Like 1