Explorer of the Seas - dry dock 2023

I’m on EX in April for 8 nights to the ABC islands. I don’t care about water slides and the like but it will be nice to have the usual cosmetic updates. A Starbucks would be nice too as I like a nice iced coffee in the afternoon by the pool 😎

• Like 1

We are going 2024 so hopefully by then it will have the upgrades.  My GS would love the slides and such.  We love, love, love the Explorer.  Was just wondering if they have a lounge for diamond plus or not.  Last time they sectioned off an area in the top lounge.  Also they had a special breakfast in an area of the ship.

27 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I’m on EX in April for 8 nights to the ABC islands. I don’t care about water slides and the like but it will be nice to have the usual cosmetic updates. A Starbucks would be nice too as I like a nice iced coffee in the afternoon by the pool 😎

My cruise is April 1.  Slides might be nice.  I don't care about a Starbucks.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sharonlacey said:

We are going 2024 so hopefully by then it will have the upgrades.  My GS would love the slides and such.  We love, love, love the Explorer.  Was just wondering if they have a lounge for diamond plus or not.  Last time they sectioned off an area in the top lounge.  Also they had a special breakfast in an area of the ship.

Explorer has a dedicated Diamond Lounge on deck 14 adjacent to the Viking Crown Lounge for Diamond and up C&A members. Very nice with great sea views. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:19 PM, stalek said:

Explorer are now on her way to Cadiz and have ETD 7th feb. It is some more news about the plans for drydock / amp?

I don't believe Explorer will make it to Cadiz by Feb. 7th as it is currently half-way between Miami and the Bahamas. 

You can verify this yourself at https://findship.en.softonic.com/ 

40 minutes ago, laflivluv said:

I don't believe Explorer will make it to Cadiz by Feb. 7th as it is currently half-way between Miami and the Bahamas. 

You can verify this yourself at https://findship.en.softonic.com/ 

Cruisemapper is showing EX halfway between Miami and Cadiz. She departed Miami Sunday the 29th so that seems pretty accurate. Should be in Cadiz by the 7th.

33 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Cruisemapper is showing EX halfway between Miami and Cadiz. She departed Miami Sunday the 29th so that seems pretty accurate. Should be in Cadiz by the 7th.

I did some additional research and found that the Explorer will indeed be in Cadiz, Spain on 7 Feb. 18:00 hours.  FindShip App. data had the ship 'frozen' at the position between Miami and the Bahamas - which was accurate on 1/29/23 but NOT at this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laflivluv said:

I did some additional research and found that the Explorer will indeed be in Cadiz, Spain on 7 Feb. 18:00 hours.  FindShip App. data had the ship 'frozen' at the position between Miami and the Bahamas - which was accurate on 1/29/23 but NOT at this time.

Why? We knew it was going to dry dock.

11 hours ago, laflivluv said:

FindShip App. data had the ship 'frozen' at the position between Miami and the Bahamas - which was accurate on 1/29/23 but NOT at this time.

Many/most ship location sites/apps use only land-based AIS receivers to report ship location. Once out of range, those sites/apps freeze like that, and you have to look at the last timestamp of the data to realize it's "frozen". Cruisemapper adds sat locating data to the mix and is much more accurate when the ship is out of AIS range.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Many/most ship location sites/apps use only land-based AIS receivers to report ship location. Once out of range, those sites/apps freeze like that, and you have to look at the last timestamp of the data to realize it's "frozen". Cruisemapper adds sat locating data to the mix and is much more accurate when the ship is out of AIS range.

Thanks for that.  I uninstalled 'FindShip' from my phone and installed 'Cruisemapper'.  So much more accurate.

• Like 2

Some of you really make me laugh.

what do you think happens on the ship during the 18 days (nearly three weeks) that the ship is sailing to and from Cadiz? 

do you think all the crew sit around the pool drinking cocktails or play bingo all

day?

there are thousands of crew on board, all doing their bit for the refurb. Stripping rooms, ripping up carpets, etc etc, 

by the time the ship gets to Cadiz I can hazard a guess that every item that needs removing had been and pro ably been replaced too. Carpets, furnishing, paints.

they don’t wait for the water to drain from the dock before they start.

now will we see the addition of new cabins, probably not, that costs a lot and takes a lot more work and time. But to change a few venues and add some slides. Sure. What, we’ll have to wait and see. But whatever they do, I’m sure it will be fantastic 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, mdj101 said:

what do you think happens on the ship during the 18 days (nearly three weeks) that the ship is sailing to and from Cadiz? 

do you think all the crew sit around the pool drinking cocktails or play bingo all

day?

there are thousands of crew on board, all doing their bit for the refurb. Stripping rooms, ripping up carpets, etc etc, 

by the time the ship gets to Cadiz I can hazard a guess that every item that needs removing had been and pro ably been replaced too. Carpets, furnishing, paints.

now will we see the addition of new cabins, probably not, that costs a lot and takes a lot more work and time. But to change a few venues and add some slides. Sure. What, we’ll have to wait and see. But whatever they do, I’m sure it will be fantastic 

They are doing soft items like furniture, curtains, and carpeting in the cabins. What they’re not going to do is tear out, closets and dressers, etc. Unfortunately, they may not even do a new electrical. That’ll put USB ports by the bed although that is, but I was hoping for. I’ve seen some of the work being done and when you compare the last “amped ship” it’ll basically be cosmetic for the cabins which for me is great.  Right now the furniture in the rooms is very much dated, so is the carpeting, but it won’t take much to get that done.  .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mdj101 said:

day?

We were on Explorer in January for 3 weeks. We were told that the crew quarters were being upgraded during our sailings, painting being done around the ship and other tasks that did not impact cruisers.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:05 PM, cricketts said:

We travel on Explorer in May 🙂 

So, we're anxious to hear about the changes!

I guess we'll know in March!!

We loved our 3 weeks in Jan. Great ship and staff. Try Giovanni’s. We ate there a bunch. Brian, headwaiter and Francisco, waiter were fabulous! My wife likes their minestrone but it was every other day... no problem... we make for you! I am jealous that you will be on after dry dock. Can you come back and tell us about it please?

53 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We loved our 3 weeks in Jan. Great ship and staff. Try Giovanni’s. We ate there a bunch. Brian, headwaiter and Francisco, waiter were fabulous! My wife likes their minestrone but it was every other day... no problem... we make for you! I am jealous that you will be on after dry dock. Can you come back and tell us about it please?

Will do!

This will be our first time on Explorer - however, we've been on the other Voyager Class ships 12 times!!

• Like 2