Explorer of the Seas - dry dock 2023

2 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I’ve had several crew members confirm there will be slides and playmakers added at the upcoming dry dock.  for what that’s worth 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I hope there is some truth to it, and some of the AMP does come out of this dry dock.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, nimiq said:

We are very easy pleasure trust me but this cruise ship unfortunately does not reflect the RCCL brand anymore. Your right shows are subjective but when you only get 2 performances in a 9 day cruise and that they look and sound like high school plays it’s time to change them. 

Have been on her for 14 days and have a 6 night next week. Service has been very good and the ship is in good shape. I do not cruise for the shows.

• Like 1

A little concerned with the comments for Explorer and the condition of the ship. Sailing on March 18th and would hate to be disappointed. Sailed on Freedom and Allure last year, and was pleased with the condition of the ship. However the service, I’ve come to love by Royal has diminished. Anyone recently sailed on Explorer or know where to find full reviews? Thank you. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rbolanos said:

A little concerned with the comments for Explorer and the condition of the ship. Sailing on March 18th and would hate to be disappointed. Sailed on Freedom and Allure last year, and was pleased with the condition of the ship. However the service, I’ve come to love by Royal has diminished. Anyone recently sailed on Explorer or know where to find full reviews? Thank you. 

You will be sailing right after drydock. It will be new furnishings, venues, etc. And most of the staff we have talked to are coming back after drydock, so you will have a trained, efficient crew. Enjoy!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Have been on her for 14 days and have a 6 night next week. Service has been very good and the ship is in good shape. I do not cruise for the shows.

Good to hear! I'll be on her in early 2024 for 9 days. I've always been fond of the Voyager class ships. What are the current shows onboard? Happy sailing!

18 hours ago, rbolanos said:

Regardless of what anyone is saying, the current ship "IS" awesome. It will gain brand new furnishing and features, but he current ship isn't a horror LOL. The condition of any RCCL ship is great, always good maintenance ongoing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Every ship, not just RCL, has its Pros and Cons...but many like to gravitate to the -ve and post such!

Just enjoy, have fun and be happy... 😁

BTW we are on the Xplorer OTS March 18 too, 8nts, be our 2nd leg of our 'side by side' vs B2B, as we will do the Harmony the week before. Looking fwd to both!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is very typical of a dry dock time, it will have everything amplified, they’re not going to skip or cut corners lol. They’re literally taking it out of commission, can I ask what makes you think it won’t be done properly? Are you a dry dock or a cruise ship renovation expert? If you could share more details, that would be great because reading. Across other amplifications, including what’s coming, for this one is that it is typical of what Royal Caribbean with Traditionally do.C

31 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Given the duration of the dry dock, I wouldn't expect any meaningful changes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VDawgAndVan said:

If you could share more details, that would be great because reading. Across other amplifications

All other Amps were pre-COVID (and took 6-8 weeks - this one looks to only be about 3 weeks). Since the restart, none of the ships have had much more than routine maintenance done during dry dock. All you need to do is read the RCL SEC filings to see their financial situation to understand why they are very unlikely to spend $100+M on a full Amp (along with the timing of the dry dock)

Edited by Biker19

19 minutes ago, VDawgAndVan said:

This is very typical of a dry dock time, it will have everything amplified, they’re not going to skip or cut corners lol. They’re literally taking it out of commission, can I ask what makes you think it won’t be done properly? Are you a dry dock or a cruise ship renovation expert? If you could share more details, that would be great because reading. Across other amplifications, including what’s coming, for this one is that it is typical of what Royal Caribbean with Traditionally do.C

If they were performing any meaningful changes why aren’t they telling anyone? EOS stopped making revenue for RC yesterday but I’d expect if there was an amp coming they’d be selling it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

All other Amps were pre-COVID (and took 6-8 weeks - this one looks to only be about 3 weeks). Since the restart, none of the ships have had much more than routine maintenance done during dry dock. All you need to do is read the RCL SEC filings to see their financial situation to understand why they are very unlikely to spend $100+M on a full Amp (along with the timing of the dry dock)

You're guessing. speculation is bad group sharing as it becomes rumor mill as fact. You're quoting SEC, but in the same breath note maintenance.  It's being Amplified and the degrees won't be cutting corners. It's either amplified or it's not. I feel embarrassed because you came across as a construction expert, or working in ship renovations. You don't. 

7 minutes ago, VDawgAndVan said:

I feel embarrassed because you came across as a construction expert, or working in ship renovations.

You don't need to be construction expert to know that previous amps took 6-8 weeks (it is a verifiable fact) and Explorer will only spend about 3 weeks in dry dock and therefore a full Amp is very unlikely. Also, it is a fact that none of the ships since the restart have had any meaningful work done. The only very informed guess is whether RCI will follow that trend with Explorer.

You may need to read a few threads around to here to see that cost cutting is happening in a lot of places.

Biker, who is impressed anyone would think he came across as a construction expert.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

If they were performing any meaningful changes why aren’t they telling anyone? EOS stopped making revenue for RC yesterday but I’d expect if there was an amp coming they’d be selling it. 

I agree with you, I think they're still pushing ICON of the SEAS hard in email. It shows a good dry dock time to facilitate the amplification. Your questions are great, you're not making any silly wild guesses. It will be exciting regardless. She's a great ship!

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You don't need to be construction expert to know that previous amps took 6-8 weeks (it is a verifiable fact) and Explorer will only spend about 3 weeks in dry dock and therefore a full Amp is very unlikely. Also, it is a fact that none of the ships since the restart have had any meaningful work done. The only very informed guess is whether RCI will follow that trend with Explorer.

You may need to read a few threads around to here to see that cost cutting is happening in a lot of places.

Biker, who is impressed anyone would think he came across as a construction expert.

The first cruise back is March 12, that gives it 6 weeks for Amplification. You sure you don't work as a spoiler for Carnival? LOL You're just making stuff up hahaha. Cost cutting is charging a fee that you didn't before. Major renovation, when all the assets likely were ordered pre-Covid would be very odd. I get it, you're speculating, and you may very well be right, but until then, guessing without any facts seems peculiar. Not sure the motivation 🤷‍♂️Since you're guessing, I'll guess too - 1) Pre-Covid assets were ordered, likely in storage. Everything is custom. 2) It will be a full amplification, but guessing rooms won't see anything other than simple carpet, curtains, furniture, soft items (based on Celebrity Equinox ie. No Outlets by the bed were added). 3) She's a great ship regardless. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VDawgAndVan said:

The first cruise back is March 12, that gives it 6 weeks for Amplification.

Only about half that is in the dry dock - she needs to sail to Cadiz and back for it (8-9 days each way). Guessing without facts is a regular CC thing. Some are more informed than others, so some have better guesses than others. 

Edited by Biker19

On 1/15/2023 at 1:36 PM, VDawgAndVan said:

Regardless of what anyone is saying, the current ship "IS" awesome. It will gain brand new furnishing and features, but he current ship isn't a horror LOL. The condition of any RCCL ship is great, always good maintenance ongoing. 

🤣 🤣 🤣

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

It looks like Explorer is getting waterslides added as a minimum. The Perfect Storm is now showing up on Deck 13, when viewing deck plans through the app. Still no mention of Playmakers and other possible features though.

That's a great find, thank you for that. It will be interesting to see if anything else is added.

• Like 2