Explorer of the Seas - dry dock 2023

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this has any significance to the dry dock planned for Explorer but Europe 2024 on Explorer is considerably more expensive than the same itinerary in 2023. Our same cruise would be 75% more expensive.

General post covid price increase or something interesting confirmed happening to her during the 8 week dry dock early 2023?

30 minutes ago, Tin can said:

General post covid price increase or something interesting confirmed happening to her during the 8 week dry dock early 2023?

Dry docks, even for the Amped Oasis, seem to have no affect on fare pricing. Don’t look for any meaningful upgrades on any ship dry dock for the foreseeable future. 

RCI is testing the limits of folks’ belief that inflation and inflated pricing is an on going thing. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, robmtx said:

Yea I was kinda expecting Allure's AMPing to be announced in line with it hosting next President cruise.

Why oh why can’t they leave just one ship without silly slides and with a good DL with views… it would attract the non slide view loving cruisers!! 

• Like 2

Just on her and she needs a serious overhaul.  Sitting on my balcony was like being in a rusted out tin can.  The windows on the balcony were filthy and whose idea was it to use green tinted windows?!?  Why would you want a tinted view of the beautiful blue ocean?  Tiny bar areas and only 1 with TVs.  Packed in like sardines (in a rusty tin can) trying to watch the World Series.  Only area I really liked was the Solarium and I have the tan to prove it!

2BF1C88A-AF65-485A-834D-A9DEB5CBDF07.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve heard on another forum that during her dry dock next month, Explorer OTS will receive some of her previously planned amplification, which was postponed in 2020. Information seems to have come from crew members onboard, including the Captain during a recent Captains Corner. 

• Addition of Playmakers Sports Bar (Possibly replacing some shops on the promenade)
  • Perfect Storm Waterslides
  • Explorer Dunes Refurbishment
  • General Cosmetic Repairs (e.g. Carpets, Furniture, Paint, etc)
  • Like 2

I can confirm that the Captain of Explorer has recently met with the crew and outlined Amp improvements that will be undertaken in the mid-January - March drydock. The crew member on Explorer that I was in contact with recently, confirmed the 2 water slides would be installed, for sure. (AWESOME!) 

• Like 2

Just off this ship January 02nd and although it looks nice from far this ship is in need of love. It needs to get a good lift as it looks very outdated like it’s main theatre shows boring. 

Eric 

On 1/4/2023 at 12:23 AM, nimiq said:

Just off this ship January 02nd and although it looks nice from far this ship is in need of love. It needs to get a good lift as it looks very outdated like it’s main theatre shows boring. 

Eric 

You must be used to the newer large ships. Although does need refreshing, its far from outdated. And shows are subjective. 

3 hours ago, LXA350 said:

The ship seems to be at least 4 weeks in dry dock, hence it will be more than marine maintance for sure.

Someone highlighted previously that the window includes time to get from the US to Europe and back again, so only part of the time is in dry dock. 

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Someone highlighted previously that the window includes time to get from the US to Europe and back again, so only part of the time is in dry dock. 

Even taking this into consideration the ship will be around 4 weeks in dry dock, enough time to get the ship back in shape and perform amplification project "light"

On 1/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, fredmdcruisers said:

You must be used to the newer large ships. Although does need refreshing, its far from outdated. And shows are subjective. 

We are very easy pleasure trust me but this cruise ship unfortunately does not reflect the RCCL brand anymore. Your right shows are subjective but when you only get 2 performances in a 9 day cruise and that they look and sound like high school plays it’s time to change them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimiq said:

We are very easy pleasure trust me but this cruise ship unfortunately does not reflect the RCCL brand anymore. Your right shows are subjective but when you only get 2 performances in a 9 day cruise and that they look and sound like high school plays it’s time to change them. 

Changing shows is not part of dry dock…

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2022 at 2:16 PM, poocher said:

Just on her and she needs a serious overhaul.  Sitting on my balcony was like being in a rusted out tin can.  The windows on the balcony were filthy and whose idea was it to use green tinted windows?!?  Why would you want a tinted view of the beautiful blue ocean?  Tiny bar areas and only 1 with TVs.  Packed in like sardines (in a rusty tin can) trying to watch the World Series.  Only area I really liked was the Solarium and I have the tan to prove it!

2BF1C88A-AF65-485A-834D-A9DEB5CBDF07.jpeg

I am currently on EX and i agree about the balconies.  Definitely needs attention.  Lots of little things i notice walking around.  Overall though I still live this ship.  She was due in 2020.  Captain Toni even acknowledged

at top tier that she is in desperate need of dry dock.