Explorer of the Seas - dry dock 2023

I have read elsewhere that the Explorer is going into dry dock the end of Jan 23 to March 23 and sailings have been cancelled for about six weeks.

Would anyone know what this is for, seems too long for maintenance so was wondering if she is maybe getting part of the amplification that was cancelled.

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

I have read elsewhere that the Explorer is going into dry dock the end of Jan 23 to March 23 and sailings have been cancelled for about six weeks.

Would anyone know what this is for, seems too long for maintenance so was wondering if she is maybe getting part of the amplification that was cancelled.

Explorer was scheduled to be amplified before covid and covid had other plans. I'm glad she is now getting the much needed do-over she deserves. 

32 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Where is the dry dock?  She has Miami cruises before and after and then a TA.  

We are considering the TA, but if the dry dock is in Europe, will she really come back for a few cruises and a TA?

Explorer was scheduled for drydock in Cadiz, Spain back in March of 2020 but covid stopped that. I don't know where she's scheduled in 2023 but more than likely Europe.  Below was her Amp improvements for 2020 that did not happen:

2020 (Royal Amplified) March 17 - May 6, Cadiz Spain

USD 110 million drydock

• Perfect Storm (outdoor complex with 2 waterslides - Cyclone” and “Typhoon”) plus the raft slide “Tidal Wave”
  • redesigned pool deck (Lido Deck 11) - adding poolside hammocks, daybeds, casitas (small wooden cabins), in-pool chaise lounge chairs
  • "The Lime and Coconut Bar" (3-level poolside bar / on 3 decks)
  • completely renovated Solarium (Deck 11 forward)
  • Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen (Italian specialty trattoria restaurant, also offers hand-tossed oven-baked pizzas and made-to-order dishes, premium Italian wines and cocktails)
  • "Playmakers Sports Bar and Arcade" (sports-themed bar lounge with 52 HDTVs on its walls, pub-type drink, and food menus, arcade games, trivia contests, sports tournaments, pool table, Owner’s Box /VIP seating)
  • Johnny Rockets Express (pool deck food and beverage service)
  • Starbucks (kiosk/brand coffee beverages and pastries)
  • Studio B (2-level lounge upgraded with the glow-in-the-dark laser tag game "Clash for the Crystal City")
  • Adventure Ocean (kids complex) redesigned and upgraded with new rooms and activities by age group
  • Teens-only club lounge redesigned and upgraded with an exclusive open-air sundeck and new activities

52 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Where is the dry dock?  She has Miami cruises before and after and then a TA.  

We are considering the TA, but if the dry dock is in Europe, will she really come back for a few cruises and a TA?

Thats what I was thinking, it looks like February and part of March 2023 cruises are now not for sale but the ones before she then sets sail for Europe are. 

Perhaps it isn't a dry dock and what I read was wrong, all very strange....

5 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Thats what I was thinking, it looks like February and part of March 2023 cruises are now not for sale but the ones before she then sets sail for Europe are. 

Perhaps it isn't a dry dock and what I read was wrong, all very strange....

I don't know if this is what you read or if it has changed since, but this is what RCI sent out recently sent out to their TAs which was posted on a site we can not name:

"Explorer of the Seas will need some extra time during its scheduled dry dock next year. Regrettably, this means our January 29th, 2023 through March 4th, 2023 sailings have been cancelled. We know this news is disappointing and apologize for the impact to your clients' cruise.

Your clients' vacation is important to us, along with the flexibility to make the best decision for them and those in their party. So, we've put together some alternate options for them to consider. Here are their options:

Option 1: Rebook one of the following 2023 itineraries:

• 7-Night cruise onboard Oasis of the Seas sailing to Perfect Day at CocoCay, Cozumel, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, and Costa Maya, Mexico on January 29th, February 12th, or February 26th
  • 8-Night cruise onboard Odyssey of the Seas sailing to Labadee, Haiti, Oranjestad, Aruba, and Willemstad, Curacao on January 28th or February 25th
  • 8-Night cruise onboard Odyssey of the Seas sailing to Labadee, Haiti, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Oranjestad, Aruba, and Willemstad, Curacao on February 11th

What they'll receive:

• Their original stateroom category will be price protected at the original cruise fare rate, excluding taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
    • If their booking was already paid in full and their cruise fare rate decreases, we'll provide them with a refund for the difference. They can expect to receive their refund to their original form of payment 30 days after we move them. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on their financial institution.
  • To sweeten the offer, they'll receive a credit to spend onboard per stateroom:
    • $100 USD for Interior, Ocean View, and Balcony staterooms | $200 USD for Suites
    • Plus, an additional $50 USD for each third or more guest
  • And, they'll also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased transportation change fees incurred (such as flight, train ticket, or rental car).
    • We'll cover up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic changes, or up to $400 USD per guest for International changes.
    • Please email their receipts and booking information to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement.

Option 2: Re-book any other Royal Caribbean International sailing

• If they prefer to re-book another sailing not included in Option 1, we'll waive any non-refundable deposit change fees.
  • Please know, they'll be responsible for any difference in pricing for their cruise fare, taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
    • If their booking was already paid in full and their cruise fare rate decreases, we'll provide them with a refund for the difference. They can expect to receive their refund to their original form of payment 30 days after we move them. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on their financial institution.
  • And, they'll also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased transportation change fees incurred (such as flight, train ticket, or rental car).
    • We'll cover up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic changes, or up to $400 USD per guest for International changes.
    • Please email their receipts and booking information to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement.
  • Lastly, your commission will be based on the revised cruise fare paid.

Option 3: If they can't find an itinerary that works for them and choose to cancel, we'll be sad to see them go.

• We'll process a full refund of any paid portion of their cruise fare to the original form(s) of payment, including any non-refundable deposit.
    • They can expect to receive their refund 30 days after they submit their refund request.
  • If they booked their airfare through Royal Caribbean International, it will be automatically refunded to them. However, if they booked on their own, please contact the service provider directly for their options with them.
  • If they used a Future Cruise Credit on this sailing, and they request a refund instead, we'll refund any NEW funds paid above the certificate amount, and we'll reinstate their original certificate.
  • Lastly, you'll receive protected commission if the booking is paid in full only.

It's important to us that your clients find the best vacation option. Please call us at 888-281-9344 by March 3rd, 2022, to select which option they prefer. Please know, hold times may be longer than usual. If we haven't heard from you by March 3rd, 2022, their reservation will be cancelled.

If you have any questions, please contact us at:

• 1 888 281 9344 in the U.S.
  • 1800 754 500 in Australia / 0800 102 123 in New Zealand
  • In the UK only, by using our webchat service or by calling 0344 493 4005
  • All other countries, please visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

Thank you for understanding and support. We hope your clients find another cruise vacation with us. Whether they are celebrating a special occasion or looking to explore, relax, and recharge - we have no doubt their time with us will be nothing short of amazing. We look forward to welcoming them onboard.

Sincerely,"

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I don't know if this is what you read or if it has changed since, but this is what RCI sent out recently sent out to their TAs which was posted on a site we can not name:

Yes thanks for that, this is what I read elsewhere. 

I've tried looking for any information on the internet but nothing, we are sailing on her August 2023 so just curious if there will be anything new installed.

What ever is happening during dry dock I guess is happening in the US.

When was this notice or dry dock sent out to the Travel Agents?

I'm sailing on Explorer of the Seas with a large group on February 18, 2023 and we have never received any notification from RCCL or our travel agent that the cruise has been canceled. Does anyone have any information on this cruise cancellation?

21 hours ago, At Sea 2 said:

When was this notice or dry dock sent out to the Travel Agents?

I'm sailing on Explorer of the Seas with a large group on February 18, 2023 and we have never received any notification from RCCL or our travel agent that the cruise has been canceled. Does anyone have any information on this cruise cancellation?

We were booked on the 2/18/2023 Explorer cruise and our TA notified us and sent the above mentioned email to us.  We selected one of the Odyssey options listed and got the additional $200 OBC.  

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

We are looking at a cruise on Explorer in the Summer of 2023 but the prices quoted seem steep for a ship which may not be amped. 

Cruise prices don't change much with AMPing (other than expectations of such by some around here).

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

Any info on what’s happening in the dry dock or just other peoples expectations?

Without info from RCI (they would usually trumpet any meaningful changes) assume only routine maintenance for the dry dock.

Folks on CC may consider paying extra for an AMPed ship because of some feature/venue added or the expectation of cabins being refurbished - the much larger general public doesn't know (or care) or have that info and cruise fares are based on that.

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Folks on CC may consider paying extra for an AMPed ship because of some feature/venue added or the expectation of cabins being refurbished - the much larger general public doesn't know (or care) or have that info and cruise fares are based on that.

Thanks for clarifying. 

Don’t know if I’d agree in relation to only CC folks being interested in the features. Of the people I talk to, previous cruisers are interested in what venues and features a ship has to offer. Those who haven’t cruises before are not interested in trying due to Covid testing. Just my experience. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Of the people I talk to, previous cruisers are interested in what venues and features a ship has to offer.

I was talking in the context of paying extra/higher than usual fare for those features. Also, depending on the ship/location/itinerary you could have more half the ship being newbies to RCI.

I would pay extra for a non amped ship as they offer more public space and nice features like the open deck on 11 with the peek-a-boo bridge. Explorer offers so much better and more outer deck space than the amped Voyager where you can not even walk from the pool area to the stern on deck 12 anymore. And the gym area in the front on Explorer is sommuch better than the small space in the back on Voyager.

• Like 1

Just got off Saturday.  At the captain's talk the hotel director stated the ship would be going into dry dock at the first of the year for "refurbishment". She did not elaborate on what would be did and did not specifically refer to it as an amplification.  The ship is in need of refurb for sure.  We saw many worn, stained carpets, our curtains had holes, the railing on our balcony was splintered, broken seats in the theater, and star lounge. It appeared clean but for sure needs to be updated!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, Saab4444 said:

I would pay extra for a non amped ship as they offer more public space and nice features like the open deck on 11 with the peek-a-boo bridge. Explorer offers so much better and more outer deck space than the amped Voyager where you can not even walk from the pool area to the stern on deck 12 anymore. And the gym area in the front on Explorer is sommuch better than the small space in the back on Voyager.

Amen. The AMP has a bad impact on public recreation spaces, especially the gyms. But maybe Royal has decided that gyms don't make money so it doesn't matter - when I was on Anthem this year, I was shocked that there was only a tiny thermal suite and - get this - no locker rooms for the gyms, not even a shower. That's a deal breaker for me - no more Quantum class, or any other ship with so few facilities, for this cruiser.

Looking forward to that enormous thalasso pool in the Explorer gym this fall, even if it's the last time....

We go back on Explorer in April 2024.  Just went on her for a B2B in April this year and loved it.  Thought the ship was great, but looking forward and hoping they amp it and put the pool area like Freedom and Navigator.  Could care less about slides, etc, but love the amped pool area.  Gym was perfectly fine with me, had what I needed so I was happy.  We look forward to going back on her.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:04 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Explorer was scheduled to be amplified before covid and covid had other plans. I'm glad she is now getting the much needed do-over she deserves. 

I really hope they don’t mess up EOS like they did Navigator.  I love the gym on the Explorer, good size with steam room and sauna included.  Navigator’s gym was moved from fore to aft, greatly reduced in size, change rooms, sauna and steam room all gone.  For me, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.  Please save EOS from this horrible fate!

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Surprised that Explorer would get amped prior to Allure 

Yea I was kinda expecting Allure's AMPing to be announced in line with it hosting next President cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1