Canada Releases Guidelines for Return of Cruise Ships

milolii

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

As for testing all passengers before they can disembark at any port in Canada... We are scheduled to stop in Victoria on May 13 and then disembark in Vancouver on May 14.  I really can't see Princess having to test everybody two days in a row. That's idiotic.

I have not seen anything on the GOC web pages to suggest that passengers will have to test before each and every Canadian port.

• Like 3

I don't see where it says Princess is responsible for paying for testing or quarantine lodging for those disembarking in Canada. It reads that they must provide the testing and help arrange quarantine...not pay for it. This could be thousands of dollars if the average Vancouver hotel room is around $200.  Even if they do pay for lodging, not everyone who cruises is retired.  I can't afford to take an extra 2 weeks off work to face mandatory quarantine in Canada and the loss of that income.  While it seems like fully vaccinated Americans may be able to rent a car and drive back into the States, that would entail cancelling YVR flights last minute and hoping you get a rental car. The regulations also state that if the ship passes a certain number of covid cases that the whole ship could be placed in quarantine and subject to medical exams.  I feel like I need to cancel my cruise that terminates in Vancouver and move it a Seattle round trip as a ship returning to the US has no testing requirement for entry and to return home 

20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Got the same email; when I click on the link it takes me to a page with FAQ: Sailings from the United States, then below says "Looking for another Destination? We're working with government authorities on protocols".  Guess the email went out before the web site was updated...

Also - does princess get your name right?  My emails are often addressed to someone named "Dale" (actually, they got my name right on this one).

Cheers,

Actually @DandDMI read it as "we're on 'IT'  " aka: working on how to implement new rules issued 2 days ago about Canadian ports / stops & will get back to you via email or eventually online

IMHO Princess had to put SOMETHING out to acknowledge that the rules had changed 

Edited by Ombud

31 minutes ago, DandDM said:

Also - does princess get your name right?

Yes. That's my name & correct spelling

39 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

What about tours in Skagway that go into to Canada and take the train back...Would we have to test then and then again for our stop in Victoria?

Stay tuned ... perhaps Princess should've been working on a Plan T (extra test for Canada) but they're on it now

• Like 1

6 hours ago, broberts said:

Your information is not accurate. See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing

People are needlessly complicating things and apparently misunderstanding plain words.

People entering Canada to board a cruise ship must do so with a negative test. Antigen within one day of entry, Molecular within 72 hours of entry

People boarding a cruise ship in Canada must have a negative test. Antigen within one day of boarding. Molecular within 72 hours of boarding.

See 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

I am not reading the requirements the same as you. Maybe I am mistaken. I am certainly confused. I don't see where the Molecular within 72 hours and rapid within one day are for people boarding in Canada. I see "Passenger obligations" without any mention of where you board. The pre-boarding a cruise ship requirement is to take a molecular test within 72 hours of boarding or take an antigen test within one day of the schedule departure. It states before boarding "a" cruise ship, not "a cruise ship from Canada".  We are on the early April Caribbean Princess cruise and I believe this changes our plans. We had planned to do a rapid antigen test with CVS 2 days before the cruise to comply with Princess requirements. However, that doesn't fit the 1 day rapid antigen requirement from Canada. I believe you need to upload your negative COVID test to ArriveCAN so they will see it doesn't fit their requirements.  This is what I'm seeing (below) and I don't see anywhere that the pre-boarding requirements are just for boarding in Canada. If that's the case, they need to spell that out as far as I'm concerned. We are planning to be in San Francisco 1 day before the cruise so a rapid test there is out because we won't have a car. We can do a monitored test in the hotel but we are leaning toward a PCR test two days prior and hoping the results come back in time, with a monitored rapid test carried in luggage as the backup.

image.thumb.png.9a65300893584b6178f0ec83659069e3.png

43 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Today Princess updated https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Among the various updates to the page one item indicates that they are working with Canadian health authorities to get the requirements updated.

image.thumb.png.bcc6e3b213ee1205012c7480fdcea61c.png

2 updates to website in the same day. Progress!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, coopco said:

I am not reading the requirements the same as you. Maybe I am mistaken. I am certainly confused. I don't see where the Molecular within 72 hours and rapid within one day are for people boarding in Canada. I see "Passenger obligations" without any mention of where you board. The pre-boarding a cruise ship requirement is to take a molecular test within 72 hours of boarding or take an antigen test within one day of the schedule departure. It states before boarding "a" cruise ship, not "a cruise ship from Canada".  We are on the early April Caribbean Princess cruise and I believe this changes our plans. We had planned to do a rapid antigen test with CVS 2 days before the cruise to comply with Princess requirements. However, that doesn't fit the 1 day rapid antigen requirement from Canada. I believe you need to upload your negative COVID test to ArriveCAN so they will see it doesn't fit their requirements.  This is what I'm seeing (below) and I don't see anywhere that the pre-boarding requirements are just for boarding in Canada. If that's the case, they need to spell that out as far as I'm concerned. We are planning to be in San Francisco 1 day before the cruise so a rapid test there is out because we won't have a car. We can do a monitored test in the hotel but we are leaning toward a PCR test two days prior and hoping the results come back in time, with a monitored rapid test carried in luggage as the backup.

image.thumb.png.9a65300893584b6178f0ec83659069e3.png

You made an assumption that Princess test requirements would not change. I suspect Princess will get around to stating its requirements for boarding cruises that call in Canada.

You don't need to use the ArriveCan app, a browser based version is available. If I recall correctly you do not have to upload the test results. Just carry a paper or electronic copy of the result. One does have to upload proof of vaccination.

Why is a personal automobile necessary for COVID testing? BinaxNOW and other self administered proctored tests are available as just one possibility.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

You made an assumption that Princess test requirements would not change. I suspect Princess will get around to stating its requirements for boarding cruises that call in Canada.

You don't need to use the ArriveCan app, a browser based version is available. If I recall correctly you do not have to upload the test results. Just carry a paper or electronic copy of the result. One does have to upload proof of vaccination.

Why is a personal automobile necessary for COVID testing? BinaxNOW and other self administered proctored tests are available as just one possibility.

Yes - I made the assumption Princess requirements won't change but it is getting close to the time when I need to book an appointment for my COVID test so I need to know what type of test and where I will be testing before I book the appointment. I have a short window unless I want to take chances on whether appointments will be available. People leaving on the Panama Canal portion of the cruise probably have already made their testing appointments if they want to ensure they get an appointment.

Uploading documents is not a problem whether it be online or app based. I'm a Data Analyst so the technology is not a problem. I was only stating if I don't do it right, Canada will know so I better understand the rules correctly. Either way if it's a hard copy or electronic version, it better be by the rules and if I don't understand the rules, there's a problem.

A personal automobile is not required. What is required is transportation to the testing site and San Francisco isn't the cheapest city although I must admit they have great public transportation. However, there is only one CVS that does rapid testing that I could see and it wasn't in the most convenient location to where we will be. I did mention the proctored test is a backup. My husband prefers to not administer the test himself although we are not against the possibility.

7 minutes ago, coopco said:

CVS that does rapid testing .... My husband prefers to not administer the test himself although we are not against the possibility.

Uh oh!! He won't like this but CVS Minute Clinic always hands the swab to me, I rotate 15 times in each nostril, and hand it back. They don't do it for me. So my part of the test is the same whether I use them or Binax. I just use Minute Clinic clinic bc it's free

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Actually @DandDMI read it as "we're on 'IT'  " aka: working on how to implement new rules issued 2 days ago about Canadian ports / stops & will get back to you via email or eventually online

IMHO Princess had to put SOMETHING out to acknowledge that the rules had changed 

You are absolute correct. I read it too fast!

59 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Uh oh!! He won't like this but CVS Minute Clinic always hands the swab to me, I rotate 15 times in each nostril, and hand it back. They don't do it for me. So my part of the test is the same whether I use them or Binax. I just use Minute Clinic clinic bc it's free

Sorry, I shouldn't have said self administered. We did CVS last time and he really liked how it was done and how quick and easy the results were. Yes, we had to swab ourselves. I think his objection is more just showing up and someone telling you what to do vs. setting up his laptop, making sure the connection is good in a hotel and the camera is working, etc., etc. He's not really opposed to doing it all himself but prefers to just "show up". You've got to know the personality to understand. He lets me win most arguments so I let him win things that aren't important to me. So if he wants to just "show up" for a COVID test, I'll try to accommodate him. It's not a big problem. I just want the rules to be clear so I know I'm following them correctly and obviously if I'm interpreting them differently than what others are saying, there's confusion somewhere.

57 minutes ago, coopco said:

Sorry, I shouldn't have said self administered. We did CVS last time and he really liked how it was done and how quick and easy the results were. Yes, we had to swab ourselves. I think his objection is more just showing up and someone telling you what to do vs. setting up his laptop, making sure the connection is good in a hotel and the camera is working, etc., etc. He's not really opposed to doing it all himself but prefers to just "show up". You've got to know the personality to understand. He lets me win most arguments so I let him win things that aren't important to me. So if he wants to just "show up" for a COVID test, I'll try to accommodate him. It's not a big problem. I just want the rules to be clear so I know I'm following them correctly and obviously if I'm interpreting them differently than what others are saying, there's confusion somewhere.

Use these sites to find testing locations near your hotel

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

6 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Use these sites to find testing locations near your hotel

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

Thanks. I really appreciate the links and it's so nice of you to post them. But the sites don't look close to the Financial District for someone without a car. Besides who wants to go through all this research on vacation. I think we will test by the airport in Sacramento. We had good luck with them returning results quickly for Hawaii. That way when we start our vacation, we can actually be on vacation without worrying about testing or uploading test results. Can you tell - vacations are very important to me! Maybe after I retire, I won't be so intent on having a stress free vacation. I guess my concern is with people who will obviously be on the cruise who are not as diligent to research things (or reading emails from Princess) and may be caught off guard. I'm thankful for Cruise Critic where we can share information and receive clarification. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness on providing the links.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

What about tours in Skagway that go into to Canada and take the train back...Would we have to test then and then again for our stop in Victoria?

Last year these tours ended before going into Canada. Maybe that will be the same this year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, coopco said:

Thanks. I really appreciate the links and it's so nice of you to post them. But the sites don't look close to the Financial District for someone without a car. Besides who wants to go through all this research on vacation. I think we will test by the airport in Sacramento. We had good luck with them returning results quickly for Hawaii. That way when we start our vacation, we can actually be on vacation without worrying about testing or uploading test results. Can you tell - vacations are very important to me! Maybe after I retire, I won't be so intent on having a stress free vacation. I guess my concern is with people who will obviously be on the cruise who are not as diligent to research things (or reading emails from Princess) and may be caught off guard. I'm thankful for Cruise Critic where we can share information and receive clarification. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness on providing the links.

Well those links can help you get reservations for tests in Sacramento

I am a bit confused . If one boards a ship bound for Alaska in San Francisco, is the 3 day antigen test still valid for testing providing one does not get off the ship in Victoria???

We have been to Victoria many times and have no need to disembark there.....just trying to make sense of all this.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, eclue said:

I am a bit confused . If one boards a ship bound for Alaska in San Francisco, is the 3 day antigen test still valid for testing providing one does not get off the ship in Victoria???

We have been to Victoria many times and have no need to disembark there.....just trying to make sense of all this.

Thanks.

In reading the older posts, I think I found the answer. This one day test only applies to boarding in Canada.....

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

What about disembarking in Canada? We are heading to airport so don’t know if that will make any difference in protocols for us.

Ship will do test before disembarkation. Positive testees will be quarantined. Otherwise the negative test result can be used to enter the US, presuming cruise line provides an appropriate test result document.

Edited by broberts
Autocorrect

28 minutes ago, broberts said:

Ship will do test before disembarkation. Positive testees will be quarantined. Otherwise the negative test result can be used to enter the US, presuming cruise line provides an appropriate test result document.

I suspect there will be lots of cancellations based on this testing requirement.    Many people, myself included, will not want to risk being quarantined in Canada if they have a positive test.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I suspect there will be lots of cancellations based on this testing requirement.    Many people, myself included, will not want to risk being quarantined in Canada if they have a positive test.

You are likely right. Many Canadians are not cruising at the moment because of the risk of having to quarantine before returning to Canada.

It's not a happy situation but until there is general confidence that it is safe to remove test requirements it's what we have.