Canada Releases Guidelines for Return of Cruise Ships

milolii

It is better than it could have been.  Non vax'd children now permitted - early reports said 100% vax'd.  The arrive can app is a royal pain in the neck, but is doable.  Early announcements were unclear but made it sound like testing would have to be done one day prior to each port stop.  That does not appear to be the case - just one day ahead of embarkation and debarkation from a Canadian Port.  That is a bit of a pain, especially the debarkation requirement. - but this should allow cruise ships to go ahead with their Canadian based cruises.

Whether people will shy away from booking Canadian based cruises due to the testing and app requirements shall be seen....

Don

Edited by Mud_Shark

Actually, the ArriveCAN app is a piece of cake compared to the Princess Medallion.  All of the requirements are very much the same as requirements for Hawaii.  Really not all that complicated.  This is good news,  as the US won’t have to suspend their PVSA again this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So we fly to Vancouver on May 4, arriving at about 8:00 pm, for a May 7 cruise what testing do we need to do and when?  Also are the proctored electronic tests accepted under these rules?  And no we can not change our plans without cancelling the entire trip. Not going to do that.

Edited by Potstech

I read this article elsewhere and I think I misunderstood something.  We're going on an Alaskan cruise starting in San Francisco.  I thought it was saying that we had to do the rapid test one day before boarding in SF but now I think they are talking about a cruise starting in Canada.  At least I hope so.  But bummer for those cruisers.  It's next to impossible to get a test in our area.

3 minutes ago, Potstech said:

So we fly to Vancouver on May 4, arriving at about 8:00 pm, for a May 7 cruise what testing do we need to do and when?  Also are the proctored electronic tests accepted under these rules?  And no we can not change our plans without cancelling the entire trip. Not going to do that.

My husband is going on a fishing trip to Canada and we've been researching.  It looks like a home proctored test will work but it can only be done one day before boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

For your May 7 cruise you need a molecular test 72 hours prior to embarking, which would be May 4 OR an antigen test within one day of embarking, which would be May 6.  You will need to use ArriveCAN app before arrival in Canada.  The exact same applies to disembarkation.  I assume Princess will arrange your test either onboard the day before or in the terminal when you disembark.  Again, don’t forget the ArriveCAN app before you get back to Canada.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, the ArriveCAN app is a piece of cake compared to the Princess Medallion.  All of the requirements are very much the same as requirements for Hawaii.  Really not all that complicated.  This is good news,  as the US won’t have to suspend their PVSA again this year.

Would you mind sharing just an overview of the things required by arriveCan? I'd like a general idea of what to expect. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Would you mind sharing just an overview of the things required by arriveCan? I'd like a general idea of what to expect. Thanks!

Sure!  Hope this helps, but please read over the above link to familiarize yourself with the requirements.

You must submit info on the app 72 hours before arriving in Canada

You will need to submit contact info in Canada (your ship),  vaccination proof, pre-entry Covid test results, your travel history, your quarantine plan should you test positive (questions about where you will stay) and you may put multiple people on one submission.  Really just a bunch of questions along with your vaccinations and test results.  I’m Canadian, so a bit less complicated and I can’t be denied entry.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

You'll need an antigen test 24hrs before your trip to Canada, then another Antigen test 24hrs before you board the ship. PCR test will cost you $200cad per person, the Antigen test is about half that. Remember the test needs to be done 24hrs before you board the ship.

5 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

You'll need an antigen test 24hrs before your trip to Canada, then another Antigen test 24hrs before you board the ship. PCR test will cost you $200cad per person, the Antigen test is about half that. Remember the test needs to be done 24hrs before you board the ship.

If you get a PCR test 72 hours before arriving in Canada, why would you need another test before embarking the ship, as long as it’s within that 72 hour window?  That test is still acceptable.   Also, the antigen test is not a 24 hour period, but one day.  So test on a Friday, sail anytime Saturday.  There is a difference.  However, with an antigen test, unless you cruise the same day as arrival in Canada, where your  test would still be acceptable, you would need another antigen to board.

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

If you get a PCR test 72 hours before arriving in Canada, why would you need another test before embarking the ship, as long as it’s within that 72 hour window?  That test is still acceptable.   Also, the antigen test is not a 24 hour period, but one day.  So test on a Friday, sail anytime Saturday.  There is a difference.  However, with an antigen test, unless you cruise the same day as arrival in Canada, where your  test would still be acceptable, you would need another antigen to board.

Not so. Stupid as it may sound, and I know it is, but the rules are, you need to be tested 24hrs before arriving in Canada whether its a PCR test or Antigen test, and also you need to be tested 24hrs before you board your ship.

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Because as of now Princess still has a 2 day testing requirement not 3 day   Keep waiting for a change on line 

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Because as of now Princess still has a 2 day testing requirement not 3 day   Keep waiting for a change on line 

Yes thats a U.S. policy. But now, since yesterday, if your ship is leaving out of Canada, its 1 day.

9 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

Not so. Stupid as it may sound, and I know it is, but the rules are, you need to be tested 24hrs before arriving in Canada whether its a PCR test or Antigen test, and also you need to be tested 24hrs before you board your ship.

Please read the requirements again.  It states that you need a 72 hour PCR or a one day antigen.  I’m not sure where you’re getting this info.  If I’m wrong, please provide a link to this new information.  I will happily be corrected.  The link above is current.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

For your May 7 cruise you need a molecular test 72 hours prior to embarking, which would be May 4 OR an antigen test within one day of embarking, which would be May 6.  You will need to use ArriveCAN app before arrival in Canada.  The exact same applies to disembarkation.  I assume Princess will arrange your test either onboard the day before or in the terminal when you disembark.  Again, don’t forget the ArriveCAN app before you get back to Canada.  Hope this helps.

I do not like to assume anything. Yes I will use the ArriveCAN app for this trip. Disembark is in Whittier Ak.

44 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I do not like to assume anything. Yes I will use the ArriveCAN app for this trip. Disembark is in Whittier Ak.

At the moment, Princess is taking care of testing for those who require it to return to their home country.  However, things can change in a heartbeat, so I would keep watching the Princess website for any updates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sure!  Hope this helps, but please read over the above link to familiarize yourself with the requirements.

You must submit info on the app 72 hours before arriving in Canada

You will need to submit contact info in Canada (your ship),  vaccination proof, pre-entry Covid test results, your travel history, your quarantine plan should you test positive (questions about where you will stay) and you may put multiple people on one submission.  Really just a bunch of questions along with your vaccinations and test results.  I’m Canadian, so a bit less complicated and I can’t be denied entry.

Good luck!

The portion I have highlighted is where I have a problem. What in heck do I put in for that information? I have no idea where I would stay if we somehow tested positive. 14 days in a hotel in Canada (where hotel prices seem to be even more crazy than at home) is about a bazillion dollars. (Okay, maybe I exaggerated the amount but it wouldn't be cheap!)

What are folks from the US putting in for that portion of ArriveCAN???

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The portion I have highlighted is where I have a problem. What in heck do I put in for that information? I have no idea where I would stay if we somehow tested positive. 14 days in a hotel in Canada (where hotel prices seem to be even more crazy than at home) is about a bazillion dollars. (Okay, maybe I exaggerated the amount but it wouldn't be cheap!)

What are folks from the US putting in for that portion of ArriveCAN???

You can come to my house!  Give them my address lol!  Honestly, I have no idea. They used to put folks in a hotel that had a contract with the government, but I don’t think that’s still the case.  If you are flying back to the US directly after embarkation and not staying in our lovely country, then I would think you could just leave and give them your home address.  This is all so damn frustrating!

Edited by Lady Arwen

15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

If you are flying back to the US directly after embarkation and not staying in our lovely country, then I would think you could just leave and give them your home address.  This is all so damn frustrating!

Actually, we are flying in the day of our cruise. We get in around 10:00 AM and will head directly to the port for embarkation. When we disembark after the cruise Princess is required to do the testing and make arrangements for accommodations if we test positive. It's just that hour or so between the flight landing and boarding the ship that requires the dang quarantine plan.