We Sail on Sunday and She Doesn't Know! (I think) A Cruise on Anthem, 3/13 - 3/20

I am so happy for you.

I would love to do the same thing for my wife as well. However, she is not only my wife but my travel agent.

She would rip me a new one if I ever booked a cruise with anyone other than her.

So, I will live vicariously through you.

Keep up the good job.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

On 3/9/2022 at 10:24 PM, Broons77 said:

So I decided to just not tell her and spring it on her the morning of.  I can't think of anything more fun.  Waking up and rather than just another dreary week in dreary March, she finds out she's getting on a boat to the Bahamas into the warm sun.  She gets to sit on an actual beach on Coco Cay and maybe even put her feet in the warm water.  These are things she hasn't been able to do in some time now.  Yep, this is the way to go to spread some joy where it's much needed,

Really hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I tried doing something similar for my ex-wife (she wasn't my ex at the time) for her 40th birthday back in 2012. I had actually worked it out with her employer that she would have the week off for the cruise. She would come home on a Friday evening with all the suitcases ready to go and a late evening flight to Miami. However, as the date approached, things started to get rocky with us and I broke it to her about the trip so that if we were going to split, I could take the steps needed to cancel the trip. Needless to say she was not thrilled that I booked this trip without her knowledge. I actually posted here on Cruise Critic about whether or not I had crossed a line. Most people were supportive like you are getting and wished I would talk to their own husbands so they would do the same. However, one person really stuck out to me. She said if her husband had done what I did without her knowledge, the next thing he would be hearing from was her divorce attorney. That my actions were controlling and there is a big difference between telling a spouse to set aside the time because you have a surprise for them and flat out not even consulting them in the matter. It looks like your situation is definitely different than what mine was and hopefully your wife (and all of you) have a wonderful time.

• Like 2

I hope this trip is everything you hope it will be! 

I’d be thrilled if the DH ever did something like this.  However I arrange all our travel and he’d be lost.  He does surprise me with jewelry and cookies once in a while.  

I did surprise him once when the kids were younger.  He met me for dinner out.  I left ( to use the bathroom, or so I said ) after the check.  When I got up I left a envelope on the table with a card and room key in it.  He smiled the rest of the evening.  We will celebrate 43 years of marriage this year.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Thank you for making my day. For bringing tears to my eyes. For being the type of husband every woman deserves. She might have a difficult disability, but with you (and obviously her daughter) by her side she’s truly blessed. 

Have an incredibly wonderful week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Covid test - check

shot in the hip - check

Laundry - Check

Now getting the overnight back packing started.  I still need to stash a couple of extra things in the bag and send DD her list of to do's but my lists have just about everything checked off.

DW is very much looking forward to dinner tomorrow, but is concerned the weather expected in the northeast will cause problems getting home in time Sunday to pick up her cousin at the train station.  I told her I didn't think we'd have an issue.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Forgive me if I missed it, but what happened with the dog-sitter ?  Did you find someone else ?

I did.  I had texted a friend right after I realized that I had screwed up the dates but she never got back to me until early this morning.  She gladly offered to keep Daisy and saved the day!

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Jenglish711 said:

Oh I'm in love with this surprise! I'm super excited to see how Sunday goes! Additionally we will be boarding as you leave so I'll be following along for that added level of excitement too! 

We were originally booked for your week but had to change due to the friend of DD and her spring break.  I'm thankful I did change it, I'm not sure I'd have lasted another week!

You may be super excited for Sunday, but I'm WICKED excited! lololol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Broons77 said:

I did.  I had texted a friend right after I realized that I had screwed up the dates but she never got back to me until early this morning.  She gladly offered to keep Daisy and saved the day!

Yippee !  So glad to hear it.  Best of luck 

• Thanks 1

Checklists have grown quire short.  I could probably consolidate them but I know what I have left to do and it's not much.  DW is snoozing as is the dog.  I should actually be able to sleep tonight despite the excitement.  Past couple of weeks have certainly been a sprint right up to today.  I was getting calls from my boss this afternoon in the holding area waiting for my cortisone shot even though it was my first day of 'vacation'. I'm confident that's the last I'll hear from her however.

We're out the door by 10ish tomorrow.  Weather is not expected to be cooperative, but we should have a window of time to drive to Jersey City in the rain rather than the snow.  I'm thankful that I'm not sailing in the chop that Anthem will be hitting tomorrow.  Extended forecast for our week looks quite promising.  Hoping for continued good juju.

1 day to go!!!!!!!!

Edited by Broons77
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

This is just amazing and so hearth warming.  Be careful driving with this pesky snow that’s expected. 

We are boarding tomorrow also and will look out for you guys. The views from the Hyatt of NYC are beautiful.  

Shay & Larry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear that your friend came through to dog sit! 

Hope the weather holds, and you have a safe and easy drive to NY, and a nice dinner with your friend. I’m sure your cruise will be a well received surprise, and smooth sailing the whole way. Have an absolutely wonderful time! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:53 AM, Broons77 said:

This will be our first trip in an accessible cabin, and I'm going to post a room tour to YouTube as I was unable to find a video of the accessible interior on Anthem. 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=11398

The above link is to cabin 10171, which is an inside HC on one of the sister ships, the Spectrum of the Seas.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, Broons77 said:

And we also have a combination rollator/transport chair that I'm bringing to use inside the cabin to make it even easier for us.

If you are looking to get your DW a scooter in the future this one was specifically designed for the cruise market.  It folds down to 12" and a FAA compliant battery can be purchased.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsGunVDgvnw

• Thanks 2

Ahead of schedule, off we go in about 30 mins.  DW is quite excited to see David and just to get out of the house.  Normally a trip to the store is a big deal for her so a trip to NYC is like going to the moon!

But still no sign she thinks anything is going on.  If I can just keep my trap shut for another 24 hours, we're golden.  🤐

• Like 19