John Barron - Still Sailing?

VegasTW

I have to agree with you - and think his style is more suited to Regent than Seabourn.  We met him on Seabourn some years ago, and found him to be a bit over the top, and frankly rather crude in his language when conducting the trivia quiz.   The TV shows about Regent a year or two ago show that most of the passengers on the new, very ritzy,  Regent ships seem to love him, however.

Having looked through this thread, maybe because you did say that you had come across him on Seabourn before, like me and probably phillipahain??  I get the impression the others are Regent cruisers.  I daresay philliphain will let you know.

8 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Of all the responses on this thread from other posters praising John, is there a reason why you selected mine?

I respect your opinion Isklaar and will meet John with an open mind, I didn't find him offensive in the Regent Explorer documentaries he did. I am hoping he might be on part of the Quest Grand Voyage starting on 6 Jan, 2023 as I am on for all of the cruise. 

• Like 1

As for differing opinions; and having experienced numerous CDs while aboard both Seabourn and Regent:    

As Mark Twain opined:  What makes a horse race interesting is a difference in opinions. 

And, let us be kind.  

GOARMY!

• Like 5

irishwitchy:  

Well, what is missing is what is noticed when that "Special Ingredient"-- which, when lacking, IS noticed.  This is an affable, approachable, and most-importantly, a professional CD.  We had the good fortune to sail with John on several Regent segments.  Same accolade goes to another of our favorite Regent CDs--Ray Solaire.  Ray remains with Regent.  

These gentlemen played their many Roles at perfect-pitch, to my ears.  And, each CD has a certain freedom to define that Role.  As to John: Had the opportunity to spend a little additional time chatting with him, his wife, and their two sons when spouse and sons joined him for portions of an Explorer segment. 

It is a tough "gig" balancing family responsibilities with the required extended Cruise Industry at-sea contract environment.

John patiently listened to my sometimes "off-key" puns.  However, he did repeat one of these--with proper attribution with my spouse and me seated in the Balcony--during an Explorer Theater "Forum" Q&A featuring his Regent boss.  Audience groaned; my wife dived for cover under the table.

I still retain the conviction (not illusion) that it was a funny, and not-off-color, pun.  Otherwise, John would not have uttered it in that venue.  

Take care, all.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions, and maybe should close this thread, as it has got very personal - and I am one of the guilty parties.  I have encountered John Barron on both Seaborn and Regent, so felt moderately qualified to post here, and do feel his style is more suited to Regent than Seabourn.  

P.S.  Love Ray Solaire  - didn't know he was still working.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shemansl said:

I hope you all get a chance to meet Dru Pavlov.  He's newly hired as CD from Crystal and he is fabulous!  Met him aboard Explorer earlier this year.

dru is great and happy he has a new position on Regent.  We sailed with him on crystal last November.

Nancy

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 7:30 PM, mrstanley said:

Have been cruising on Regent since 2003.

Been on all the ships.

John was definitely the best CD we encountered. Followed by Lorraine.

Funny how tastes differ.  Perhaps Lorraine has mellowed, but we actively disliked her "back in the day" (i.e., first encountered about 2007 perhaps).  

As for John Barron, I think we've cruised with him, not sure.  I think it was the Explorer video that was over the top, not John himself.

• Like 1

I am a huge fan, and friend, of John.  I will miss him terribly but not bad enough to go to Seabourn,   We like Lorraine a lot, just haven’t cruised with her recently.  And Ray took us some time to get to like, but he is a great guy and very good at his job.

• Like 2

Since we're talking CDs..we have been on Mariner for the last 50 days with Paul Reynolds and ACD Richard Rubin.  What a talented pair!  They complement each other so well.  If you ever meet up with either of them....ask about ESWATINI !! They will surely get a laugh..🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RachelG said:

I am a huge fan, and friend, of John.  I will miss him terribly but not bad enough to go to Seabourn,   We like Lorraine a lot, just haven’t cruised with her recently.  And Ray took us some time to get to like, but he is a great guy and very good at his job.

We are going on our first Seabourn cruise this summer … as a fellow regent lover, why do you feel this way about seabourn?

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

We are going on our first Seabourn cruise this summer … as a fellow regent lover, why do you feel this way about seabourn?

That's a good question.  I'd like to hear too.  We've been on one Seabourn cruise, on Quest, and really enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, wcsdkqh said:

From my perspective, dining separates the two. Compass Rose is without equal as far a main dining rooms go. I also find the included air and excursions very useful. Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree for the most part. For dinner, dining choices and menus were much better on Regent. The buffet on Seabourn , however, blew La Veranda out of the water. Not much in the way of specialty dining on Seabourn but then the ships are smaller.