Taking a picnic lunch from the ship to Skagway

Shaver John

My husband and I like to walk down to Snugglers Bay in Skagway when we sail to Alaska.

We are going May 30th on the Ruby and want to see is anyone knows if you can take a lunch from the ship to have a picnic in Alaska.

I know we will have to pack it ourselves which is very easy to do, so we just wondered if it was checked as you get off the ship,

We are just talking about making a sandwich and a couple of beers or cokes and a few cookies.

I am sure that you are not allowed to take any food off the ship unless it is in a seal container or a sealed bag. That means no sandwich.  Probably a can of coke or beer.  Probably a sealed bag w a cookie in it.

DON

• Like 2

I recall that in Australia they are very strict about not taking food off the ship, to the point where they check disembarking passengers using dogs to sniff their bags. Announcements were made on board multiple times warning passengers about this policy.

Now here we're talking Alaska and we've been there at least four times and I do not recall any announcements to this effect being made. Nor do I recall passengers being checked when they leave the ship. That said, it doesn't mean taking food off is allowed. You'll find out on the ship for sure. If it isn't allowed, there are likely to be shops where you can purchase some 'picnicky' foods and take them over to the bay.

It is my recollection that taking food off the ship is prohibited.  I do know of families with children taking those small single serving cereal boxes off the ship, as snacks and "keep quiet" bribes for the kids.  

Baked goods (muffins, for example) and fruits are the things easiest to bring off the ship (except for small cereal boxes), but those are the most likely to be banned -- fruit flies and other potential invasive species!  

I'd buy my picnic things on shore instead of trying to smuggle them ashore.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

It is my recollection that taking food off the ship is prohibited.  I do know of families with children taking those small single serving cereal boxes off the ship, as snacks and "keep quiet" bribes for the kids.  

Baked goods (muffins, for example) and fruits are the things easiest to bring off the ship (except for small cereal boxes), but those are the most likely to be banned -- fruit flies and other potential invasive species!  

I'd buy my picnic things on shore instead of trying to smuggle them ashore.

After a couple years of very few tourists/visitors, the people of Skagway (and the rest of Alaska) would welcome the opportunity to make and sell box lunches.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I recall that in Australia they are very strict about not taking food off the ship, to the point where they check disembarking passengers using dogs to sniff their bags. Announcements were made on board multiple times warning passengers about this policy.

Most (if not all US ports) - no food unless in the manufacturer's pkg. I've seen dogs in San Pedro a couple of times, but not sure if they were looking for drugs or food.

Mexico uses dogs, also.

Thanks for all the answers. Yes, I would never take food off a cruise ship unless it is allowed. I agree that if not OK we will see if we can find a place to make us a lunch to take on the walk. I just can't remember seeing any delis in Skagway, but it has been about 3 years since our last Cruise to Alaska, so thing may have changed a lot. Thanks to all for answering.

I am one who takes food off a ship.  I have celiac disease and can’t eat gluten. Many, many places in port cannot accommodate my dietary needs.  I pack gf bread and fixings (store in refrig), and bring sandwiches and gf snacks on excursions and picnics!  Hubby can get a sandwich at a local shop (which he does) but I can’t.

I inform Guest Services and let the Dining staff know that I do that.  They have only asked me not to take fruit and veggies off the ship.  At times, I even get a gf sandwich and snacks from them to take on an excursion.

53 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I inform Guest Services and let the Dining staff know that I do that.  They have only asked me not to take fruit and veggies off the ship.  At times, I even get a gf sandwich and snacks from them to take on an excursion.

I am glad that the ship can accommodate your needs!  I'm lucky not having to deal with such restrictions.

I went to Skagway in September, and it was a ghost town, and businesses and residents are probably barely hanging on, especially since they're hit even harder by inflation, having to ship in everything. So please consider spending food and drink money in their economy. The Alaska Commercial Fairway Market, an IGA grocery store, has a deli and other things to buy for a picnic, and is a few blocks past the main street downtown. There are also some interesting older houses and a charming little library on that side of town, which most tourists never get to, since they stick with shopping and the train. The lines usually make an announcement not to take food off the ship to discourage people stealing food and taking it ashore on excursions or after disembarking, just as some people steal towels and robes. 

• Like 1

There are no local laws in Alaska that prohibit you from taking food off the ship. Those laws typically apply to bringing agricultural products from one country to another, not state to state. Pack some sandwich bags and go ahead.  Us Alaskans are happy to have you either way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GatorGirl1313 said:

There are no local laws in Alaska that prohibit you from taking food off the ship. Those laws typically apply to bringing agricultural products from one country to another, not state to state. Pack some sandwich bags and go ahead.  Us Alaskans are happy to have you either way.

For curiosity sake - wouldn't Vancouver to Skagway legitimately Country to Country? Given they provision, etc in Canada? 

• Thanks 1