HAL Testing Update - Now 3 days if 'up to date'

Tigrou

HAL updated their requirements as of 14 March 2022:

Testing: All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

For me this is great news as it means the test I take for US entry will count for the cruise too, saving time and money.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for passing along this update!  I would qualify for the three day testing as well.   By the time I cruise next September, testing may not be needed but I'm keeping an eye on the policies as they evolve.

• Like 2

This will help many boosted people who prefer to get the test at home before they board a flight yet still want to spend some extra nights in the cruise departure city.

Not everyone has been comfortable with doing a proctored test with a cell phone. It has been a hassle for a lot of people to locate testing locations far from home, figure out logistics and costs for getting to the test locations & then deal with reserved tests being cancelled.

It also will enable anyone boosted to get one more pre-travel chore done and out of the way earlier. A little less stressful.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 5

As pax numbers ramp up, this could lead to boarding delays while the check in agents verify vaccination/booster status and compare with date of test.  However, it is a positive move.

I also think that the wording on the 'Post Cruise' testing has changed.  Previously did it not state that HAL would provide tests for those that required testing to travel home?  Now it states that HAL "will cover the costs after the cruise".  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

Yeah, that’s a change. So that means we’re on our own to get tested, but can submit for reimbursement? But note that the new Canada rules require the cruise lines to arrange for the disembarkation testing (rumors in the Canada forum that Canada May drop testing for vaccinated passengers, though). It’s become even more of a moving target. 

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

HAL updated their requirements as of 14 March 2022:

Testing: All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.
For me this is great news as it means the test I take for US entry will count for the cruise too, saving time and money.  

HAPPY DAY!  This news is exactly what I have hoping for (even posted comments on it on HAL's FB page yesterday).  I ASSUME this is in effect immediately, since we leave in two weeks!!!

Sure made my day as I am one of those over planners and love the flexibility this provides.

• Like 1

Also, has the vaccination requirement changed so that children under 5 aren’t required to be vaccinated, previously I think HAL had a firm 100% vaccination requirement. But sometimes it’s all a blur . . .  Not sure how much of an impact this will have for HAL. 

1 hour ago, lderochi said:

So that means we’re on our own to get tested, but can submit for reimbursement?

Reading further, my assumption was mistaken. The FAQ still says that HAL will arrange the test and cover the cost directly. It could be worded better, but: “Holland America Line will cover the costs . . . Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs, and exit the terminal. Test results will be available in approximately 30-60 minutes. . .  Guests will receive a copy of the test digitally or can wait for a printed copy”

Edited by lderochi

33 minutes ago, lderochi said:

Also, has the vaccination requirement changed so that children under 5 aren’t required to be vaccinated, previously I think HAL had a firm 100% vaccination requirement. But sometimes it’s all a blur . . .  Not sure how much of an impact this will have for HAL. 

On HAL website just now:

Your health and safety are our highest priorities. We are working with government authorities to determine specific guidelines and protocols for 2022 cruises to Alaska, Europe and other destinations. We will share final details and requirements between 90-30 days prior to sailing.

Updated March 14, 2022

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on sailings from the U.S.:

Vaccines: Guests ages 5 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

As pax numbers ramp up, this could lead to boarding delays while the check in agents verify vaccination/booster status and compare with date of test.  However, it is a positive move.

I also think that the wording on the 'Post Cruise' testing has changed.  Previously did it not state that HAL would provide tests for those that required testing to travel home?  Now it states that HAL "will cover the costs after the cruise".  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

It says they will "administer and cover the cost" when I read it.  Gave me a scare to begin with - they are going to have to sort out a way to do it in each port if they don't do it on the ship!  (We want to disembark in Victoria, and I have a feeling they will not want to be doing tests on shore!)

10 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

It says they will "administer and cover the cost" when I read it.  Gave me a scare to begin with - they are going to have to sort out a way to do it in each port if they don't do it on the ship!  (We want to disembark in Victoria, and I have a feeling they will not want to be doing tests on shore!)

Perhaps it is location dependant!  This is what it says when I open the page......

Post-Cruise
If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs after your cruise.

25 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

Cruz Suzy & Iderochi....Thank you so much for sharing those links.  Copied what I needed.  Our Alaska cruise is in July and the additional day to get clean test will help us immensely.

We are going in May, and going in two days early, so I understand. The last thing I need is to test positive while sitting in an Anchorage hotel! 

Looks like this does not apply for those departing from Canada.  From the Canadian government website: 

"If you’re a foreign national allowed entry into Canada and connecting with a cruise ship, you must take either:

• a COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time, or
  • an antigen test taken no more than 1 day before your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water."

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Looks like this does not apply for those departing from Canada.  From the Canadian government website: 

"If you’re a foreign national allowed entry into Canada and connecting with a cruise ship, you must take either:

• a COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time, or
  • an antigen test taken no more than 1 day before your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water."

Exactly why I am avoiding the Vancouver Alaska sailings for this year.

3 minutes ago, amyr said:

So if we sail on a Saturday, we can test on Wednesday before we fly out Thursday morning to port?  If so, that's going to be such a relief.  

Thats correct!  We are now testing on Thursday for our Sunday sailing.  Gives us more flexibllity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

Exactly why I am avoiding the Vancouver Alaska sailings for this year.

Fortunately, I will be arriving in Canada via a Pacific Coastal cruise with HAL performing tests on board and departing Canada the same day as disembarkation making me an "in-transit" and exempt from further testing. 

I have read just about every Canadian government travel document and made lots of travel changes.  Hopefully, Canada will ease restrictions by my September return to Alaska through Vancouver

• Like 1