Tipping 101

TOMVH

1 hour ago, NikiPinkston said:

This may be a little bougie, but I always buy some of these cruise thank you cards in which I place our tip & write a quick note.  For me, it just streamlines the process.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+thank+you+cards&crid=RILJ8YVZ1TVR&sprefix=cruise+thank+you%2Caps%2C178&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_16

That is more streamlined than simply handing the person cash?  OK... 🙂

35 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I'm sure they do ....... although if you were a cabin steward and you had one guy out of the ten give you some cash on the first day who do you think will stand out in their mind all week?  You approach it however you want but please feel free to share your stories of the extra perks you got from the stewards by not tipping some up front . Do tell .....

The guys who I know I need to earn a tip from and not the guy who already tipped me.

37 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I'm sure they do ....... although if you were a cabin steward and you had one guy out of the ten give you some cash on the first day who do you think will stand out in their mind all week?  You approach it however you want but please feel free to share your stories of the extra perks you got from the stewards by not tipping some up front . Do tell .....

Please tell us how you KNOW that tipping up front got you anything you would not have already received?  I'll help you out, you don't.  You are simply making an assumption.

58 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You approach it however you want but please feel free to share your stories of the extra perks you got from the stewards by not tipping some up front . Do tell .....

I have never received any extra perks.  I tip them because I appreciate them.  No other motives to get "perks" for me me me.

If you are staying in a Miami hotel pre or post cruise, don't forget to leave a tip for the hotel housekeeper each morning--$3 to $5 depending upon the number of people staying in the room and the class of hotel.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Oh yeah and don't forget to get the real name and address of all who took time out to reply and send them each $20 tip for assisting you!

I'll bet you're fun at a party. I've watched your responses on a number of threads and all I can say is WOW. I would not want to have to serve you anywhere, land or sea. You are not a very nice person.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Here is my take on tipping on a cruise. I hate the concept of tipping now because every place you turn there is someone asking for a tip. This is my situation only and your booking and plans may be different.

1. With our "free" drink package, we have already tipped 18%. There should never be a tip line on the receipt a guest with this receives. If they want to tip more, leave it as cash.
  2. We have prepaid gratuities or daily service fees, whatever NCL chooses to call it. It is at ~$15pp/day. That is $45 a day for 3 of us. I don't care who they are for or where they go. This is more than enough to require any other tips to anyone. It covers the room stewards and the dining room staff. 
  3. 2 Specialty Dining meals have gratuities already included. There is no need to tip there.

At the end of the day, ALL of the tipping that is expected of the guests are pretty much prepaid or known before sailing. There is no need to have anywhere a guest has a Tip line on a receipt. NCL makes you feel guilty about putting $0 there, but I will have ZERO issue in doing so.

Now, at the end of the cruise, those few that were exceptional I will hand a cash tip the last night. I did this on my first cruise. There were 3 specific individuals that were always bartending or serving where I was. They each were given a nice new $100 bill and very appreciative.

To break down the charges on my cruise:

• $1300 cruise fare for 3
  • $1050 taxes, port fees, and port charges
  • $693 in prepaid tips.

Looking at these numbers, I am paying more than 50% of the cruise fare in tips. The taxes, port fees, and port charges are spread evenly to every guest. When you break it down this way, it gets a little crazy.

Edited by bigrednole
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Please tell us how you KNOW that tipping up front got you anything you would not have already received?  I'll help you out, you don't.  You are simply making an assumption.

You sound a bit crusty and jealous...... I do know because I've sailed many many times where I paid my gratuities and nothing else ..... the standard. Standard service is what I got. Most cabin stewards aren't tipped extra cash on top of prepaid gratuities. Once I started tipping some cash up front the perks I mentioned were received. You can argue until you're blue in the face but that doesn't change anything. You do what you want but I know no one has done this stuff for you hoping that you'll give them cash on the last day ..... You get the standard service is all. You do it your way as I don't care. You're foolish and unreasonable to think that stewards bring buckets of beer hidden under towels to cabins to everyone.  Your spin is laughable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The guys who I know I need to earn a tip from and not the guy who already tipped me.

You're "that guy" that doesn't tip anyone and you know it. You probably stand in line on the last night and remove gratuities. Don't lecture people on your tipping tactics if there aren't any. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Uff da said:

I'll bet you're fun at a party. I've watched your responses on a number of threads and all I can say is WOW. I would not want to have to serve you anywhere, land or sea. You are not a very nice person.

He's that person everyone on CC talks about. 

• Haha 1

As a Brit I know that the assumption is that we will remove the tips and not tip anyone so we are always rallying against this. We always prepay our tips and then tip extra on the last night, the stewards/waiters always appear shocked. I am boarding the Epic on 2nd April I might this time try tipping some at the beginning of the cruise out of interest to see if the service is any different but honestly I am always happy with the service I receive

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have never received any extra perks.  I tip them because I appreciate them.  No other motives to get "perks" for me me me.

Good for you..... I tip up front because appreciate them as well. I don't ask for anything. They do it because they must appreciate me back as well. You've lost this argument. Do it your way please. More perks for me. I also tip $1 cash on every drink. Funny to see how good my poolside service is while others are complaining they can't find a poolside waiter. They too know who is putting cash in their back pocket. I tip out of appreciation. If it results in better more attentive service that's great. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Uff da said:

I applaud your response to MoCruiseFan. He should be cruising on Carnival and not NCL! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You're "that guy" that doesn't tip anyone and you know it. You probably stand in line on the last night and remove gratuities. Don't lecture people on your tipping tactics if there aren't any. 

Thank you-I also applaud your response to this JERK MoCruiseFan-He belongs on a Carnival Cruise-NOT NCL!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Acruzaholic said:

Thank you-I also applaud your response to this JERK MoCruiseFan-He belongs on a Carnival Cruise-NOT NCL!

Ditto.

After his shrill diatribes on the Deck Chairs? thread got to be too much, I placed him on "Ignore".  I see he's busy making friends over here, now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Good for you..... I tip up front because appreciate them as well. I don't ask for anything. They do it because they must appreciate me back as well. You've lost this argument. Do it your way please. More perks for me. I also tip $1 cash on every drink. Funny to see how good my poolside service is while others are complaining they can't find a poolside waiter. They too know who is putting cash in their back pocket. I tip out of appreciation. If it results in better more attentive service that's great. 

This all day, people can believe it or not.  CASH is King.  I usually get eye contact from the poolside waiters asking if I need another.  And then it appears. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

That is more streamlined than simply handing the person cash?  OK... 🙂

it is for me because I like to write a note expressing my gratitude & I always feel awkward just handing someone cash but, obviously, everyone should do what feels right for them. 🙂 Of course, this doesn't apply when tipping at the bar!

Edited by NikiPinkston

11 hours ago, Uff da said:

I thought there was a way, though I never thought I'd need it on CC, to block a member's responses. This person is a such a downer. They crap all over everything. It's really sad.

1 minute ago, Hutcha said:

I thought there was a way, though I never thought I'd need it on CC, to block a member's responses. This person is a such a downer. They crap all over everything. It's really sad.

Hover your cursor above the trolls username in his post.   The "Ignore" button will pop up, click and done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

Hover your cursor above the trolls username in his post.   The "Ignore" button will pop up, click and done.

Awesome! Thank you. One miserable person in my rearview. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mertziek said:

Tipping is very individualized.  No right or wrong answers or amounts.  Some tip little, some a lot.  You need to ask yourself what you feel the service was worth to you and how much you feel you can afford.  

Yes, it is. However, attitudes like the following become a problem....

18 hours ago, Trimone said:

I just don’t bother, they should be grateful of your business, there are plenty of other cruise companies after your business.

@SpainAlien I'm glad you try to reverse the stereotype that you find yourself categorized in. Unfortunately, I don't see it going away soon.

@Trimonemost of the employees that work for those other cruise companies are working for tips also. You may not agree, but it's part of the industry.

12 hours ago, Uff da said:

I LOVE parties thanks!

As far as the post you quoted, you must have missed the eye wink/smiley face at the end?   Either that or it clearly sail right over your precious head.

Then you go on to make an ad hominem post followed by calling someone else not nice.  Good to meet you kettle.

BTW I do not need to tell people how much I tip or when just to make myself feel good.  I tip just fine but I don't do it in order to bribe someone.  If you are all that interested in my tipping habits just drive on up here and ask the barkeeps and servers of the establishments that I frequent.  You would be surprised I would fathom.

Enjoy your next cruise...  Be sure to tip everyone.