Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

28 minutes ago, iancal said:

We typically travel for two months at a time.  Spontaneous international travel.  Pre covid usually Europe in Sept/Oct and SE Asia/Australia in the winter.

It is not unusual for us to pick up last minute/late booking cruises.

Since retiring we travel with carry on only-8KG.  So we are not about to pack any extra clothing just in case we pick up a cruise.  Standard for me is collared shirts and a pair of slacks.  That gets me on any cruise ship with the exception of Cunard (which we have no interest in ).  Similar for DW.

Not everyone travels from home to a cruise ship and then home again!

17 + change lbs!!!  I can't get there yet.  But I can get to carry-on only.  

My trip is going the opposite way:  first was just the barge cruise.  But then added on 3 weeks of travel around France and Italy, ending with an outdoor Bocelli concert.  Then I messed up the departure on my flight home so I added another week to play in Bordeaux and Paris.  Cruise is totally casual - a private women's group of 14 and we usually do outdoorsy trips.  

I've seen too many people on cruises who think they are dressed for the evening but they really need to go shopping for something made in the 2020s instead of the 1980s and in their new +25lbs (11.3 kg) around their belly.  Just because was "appropriate dress" years ago does not mean it's appropriate now.

"Now we have somebody who is looking for a cruise in which they can be dressed in their hunting attire and pajamas the entire time……. They cannot find such a cruise, so the only alternative is to try to lower the cruise lines standards to your liking. Others be dammed. That’s what is sounds like. "

When did someone say they wanted to dress in their Mossy Oaks???  Or, if you want upscale, their KUIU (one of my owners turned me on to this one).  

Edited by slidergirl

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

My trip is going the opposite way:  first was just the barge cruise.  But then added on 3 weeks of travel around France and Italy, ending with an outdoor Bocelli concert.  Then I messed up the departure on my flight home so I added another week to play in Bordeaux and Paris.  Cruise is totally casual - a private women's group of 14 and we usually do outdoorsy trips.  

I've seen too many people on cruises who think they are dressed for the evening but they really need to go shopping for something made in the 2020s instead of the 1980s and in their new +25lbs (11.3 kg) around their belly.  Just because was "appropriate dress" years ago does not mean it's appropriate now.

"Now we have somebody who is looking for a cruise in which they can be dressed in their hunting attire and pajamas the entire time……. They cannot find such a cruise, so the only alternative is to try to lower the cruise lines standards to your liking. Others be dammed. That’s what is sounds like. "

When did someone say they wanted to dress in their Mossy Oaks???  Or, if you want upscale, their KUIU (one of my owners turned me on to this one).  

Occasionally we have to cheat by putting some heavier objects on our pockets.  My electric razor for one.  Carry our ipads, etc.   Most regionals will give you a 1KG leeway.    The very last thing we want when flying into somewhere like Bangkok and having to transfer between airports to catch a flight is to wait for checked bags...especially ones that are misplaced.

It is a big revenue generator.  In KUL, Air Asia has someone with a scale even before you hit security.   In Brisbane Jetstar weighed out bag at checkin and again at the gate.

Yet....Aegean/Olympic never seen to bother.  Same with Scoot/Singapore.  I believe on thing is never to have your carry on appear to be bulging.   It cries out for 'weigh me please'.

20 hours ago, C-Ya said:

Sounds like the OP is looking for a ferry vacation……..

Might I suggest the HMS Walmarticus……

I got a chuckle out of this! I'm not exactly a Walmarticus shopper...nothing wrong with the place, just not a fan of the Waltons.

As for ferries, i have definitely researched the Alaska Ferry system and may just take a trip on those. My husband and I have four dogs so travel by air is kind of out unless we leave the pups alone. Plus, I really want some insta magic in Alaska with the pups!

Enjoy your weekend!

13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Actually, in certain circles some T-shirts and hoodies are chic.   Yeah, but not the one you wore when you  changed the oil in the car 

Oil in the car? I haven't done that since I was in the Boy Scouts and that was a couple decades ago. How did I get so old?

Now I wont be wearing my nasty, muddy hiking shirt that is sweaty to the main dining room. I do have standards!

10 hours ago, travelingman said:

I have really enjoyed reading this post.  And, even though some of the post have seemed to "look down" on the OP; I will say have have really enjoyed his responses and sense of humor.  He has let the water runoff the duck's back and has appeared to not take it personal.

Now, I am no longer big on the dressing up (suits or even sports coats) but will when called for.  Have eaten in Viking's specialty restaurants with a pair of slacks and a golf type shirt with no problems or odd looks from others - even when the others had on suits.  Not saying Viking is one of the top luxury lines but the passengers done seem to be as concerned with what others wear as long as it looks nice.  I kn ow this still does not fit the OPs desire but if willing to wear a pair of decent pants you could get by with a golf type shirt.

Stan

Why thank you good sir! It's a cruise. A vacation, so nothing to stress over! I'll enjoy my Haven cruise where it appears I am able to wear a t-shirt and shorts while giving heartburn to those that get flustered when others don't get all dressed to the nines. The heartburn isnt purposeful, just what will invariably happen.

Thanks for the duck analogy. Im trying to decide if im a mallard, wood duck, harlequin....I'm thinking a harlequin!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I loathe "dress-up" culture on vacation. Where some are just trying to draw attention to themselves. All while simultaneously snubbing their nose that all of those who are ruining the trip for them. 

Sure there should be some level of decency. A vacation is the last place in the world I want to wear button up shirts and slacks. There is nothing wrong with wearing shorts. 

Preach my man Joebucks!

7 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Don't worry about "tuxes", a yellowed tee shirt and wrinkled semi-clean shorts should suffice, all day and all night. Really keeps packing to an absolute minimum. 

Not on any of ships that I worked on! In fact I sailed with one Master who said dinner would be served at 7:30pm rather than the traditional 6:0pm, and all officers would be dressed in full uniform rather than tropical 'rig'. Nice timing when you needed to be in bed by 8:pm to get some sleep before going on watch at midnight.

We didn't carry many passengers but those that we did always dressed 'nicely'. 😉

Decorum! In a professional setting? How unsettling....I'm kidding of course! They're not on vacation. They're working. The 8 PM bedtime, then watch sounds a bit miserable. How did you keep yourself awake while watching the ocean?

6 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I know you are looking at cruise suggestions, I cancelled a VRBO rental on the south side of Jamaica because of Covid. It had a cook and a made and of course, you can dress as you wish. Just a thought.

Thank you sir! I appreciate your thought and will look into these elements type of accommodations!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Put your nose down; it isn't a good look.

He's not talking about an event at Vesper BC or dinner at Messina Social Club; it's a cruise...

Eeeeeek I would never go to those places! I have no desire to be seen, merely to have amazing experiences. Fancy places aren't amazing...to me.

Thanks for the backup!

4 hours ago, C-Ya said:

I was being funny to lighten up the thread……. But now I will make a real comment.

The normal level for cruising attire has been both tradition and rules set forth by the cruise line. The posters on these forums did not set those rules.

Now we have somebody who is looking for a cruise in which they can be dressed in their hunting attire and pajamas the entire time……. They cannot find such a cruise, so the only alternative is to try to lower the cruise lines standards to your liking. Others be dammed. That’s what is sounds like. 

One last thing……… If you would spend less time being offended by post than actually reading it……. My first sentence was a solution to the OP’s problem. There are overnight ferries worldwide. With a little research and ambition, you could probably design a pretty nifty vacation, in which you could dress how ever you wanted every night and go places that the major cruise lines do not go or be able to overnight at the places in which the cruise lines only go to for the day. There’s some great advice!

Actually, I believe my intent was to find a line that has standards where I would be accepted. I have no intention of battling Cunard or Seven Seas. They obviously have enough clientele who wish to dress to impress...I thought as individuals aged they stopped caring about what others thought about them. Cunard put that thought to rest.

Alas, I dont intend to change anyone. I want to be comfortable and i want others to be comfortable. Hence the question, rather than going on a cruise and arguing with the staff in the dining room.

As for your advice...it is great! Im sure I'll take your advice in the future, but right now I want to enjoy a comfortable cruise where the husband and I will appear similar to other passengers.

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Referring to Walmart on a thread about clothes has always been rude and bad taste.  You would have been fine with the ferry post, but you had to sneak in some snark about people of Walmart.   

I'm not really a fan of putting the privileged against those that aren't privileged.

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Presuming that those who like to dress up are trying to draw attention to themselves, or snubbing their noses, reminds me that it goes both ways.  

"Are you folks looking for the Prom, ha ha?"

"I like to see how far I can push the envelope at MDR before I get asked to change."

"Your wife looks despicable in that dress."

Honestly, I don't want to be in any of these categories.

Dress up and enjoy!

Wear shorts and a t-shirt while enjoying!

Enjoy yourself noatter what...no judgment here.

If Im being honest, Ill likely ask (in my head) "why would they want to dress up while theyre on vacation?"

4 hours ago, iancal said:

We typically travel for two months at a time.  Spontaneous international travel.  Pre covid usually Europe in Sept/Oct and SE Asia/Australia in the winter.

It is not unusual for us to pick up last minute/late booking cruises.

Since retiring we travel with carry on only-8KG.  So we are not about to pack any extra clothing just in case we pick up a cruise.  Standard for me is collared shirts and a pair of slacks.  That gets me on any cruise ship with the exception of Cunard (which we have no interest in ).  Similar for DW.

Not everyone travels from home to a cruise ship and then home again!

Oh to travel like you! As a millennial I'm not sure I'll ever retire...if I do, I'm hoping a world cruise is in my retired future!

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

As with any comparison to anything, there are always extreme people on both ends of the coin. Those that aren't in collared shirts are "slobs". Or a class of people / specific cruise line isn't good enough because they aren't all in suits.

In general, cruising is moving away from the fancy pants days of old. Especially on mass-market. It's far more of a casual experience. It seems like they really only have elegant night anymore as to stimulate photo sales. Otherwise, I'd suspect it would be completely gone.

"But I don't want mass market," I whine. Haha

While we are unable to afford a $20k a week cruise, Id like tonexperience a suite on a fancy pants cruise, minus the fancy.

I do wonder if I would be exhausted by the luxurious care the staff would take of me?

OP:  As you can see, clothes and what is considered "appropriate" is a hot topic with lots of opinions.  

Something to consider IF the SO is really pushing for a cruise:  You only have to wear those pants and polo shirt for the 90 minutes or so you are in the MDR.  Otherwise, you are free to wear what you want!!!  

Oh - I HAVE worn my black wide-leg yoga pants to a fine dining restaurant.  It's what I travel with when I'm not in the mood to bring my LBTD (Little Black Tshirt Dress, which I've worn around the world in burger joints to Michelin 3 star places).   The pants are going with me this summer along with denim jacket, 2 hoodies and a week's worth of Tshirts.  Barges, Bologna, Modena, Florence, Paris, Bordeaux and some others TBD.  I'm not going to get kicked out of anyplace - you just have to know how to "accessorize" 😸

I am so stunned by the emotions elicited about asking for a luxury line that would allow a modicum of comfortable clothing while dining.

Sounds like you have some wonderful travel experiences!

If I were a hunter (don't even ask about the mental gymnastics I go through, because I'm a carnivore that knows he couldn't kill an animal) my clothing would be from REI or Pendleton.

I can only imagine how out of place, therefore, how much attention one would receive, when they dress in their 1980s and 1990s Hillary Clinton and Nancy Reagan garb.

3 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

I am so stunned by the emotions elicited about asking for a luxury line that would allow a modicum of comfortable clothing while dining.

Sounds like you have some wonderful travel experiences!

Never underestimate the capacity to trigger others here with what is actually a legitimate question.  Personally, I have only cruised on a mass market line.  My preference is the ability to travel more rather than less so I try to find something that is comfortably in my budget range.  Maybe I will change over time, but for now I am happy with the experience.

16 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

if I do, I'm hoping a world cruise is in my retired future!

I also thinking about a world cruise.  My retirement is coming up so we will see if I actually pull the trigger and do it.  I would need to prepare to be gone for 100+ days from home.

11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I loathe "dress-up" culture on vacation. Where some are just trying to draw attention to themselves. All while simultaneously snubbing their nose that all of those who are ruining the trip for them. 

Sure there should be some level of decency. A vacation is the last place in the world I want to wear button up shirts and slacks. There is nothing wrong with wearing shorts. 

Looking down your nose and ascribing motivation to people who enjoy dressing up is no better than looking down your nose and being critical of people who don't enjoy dressing up.  I personally always adhered to the dress code the cruise line established and didn't much care what other people wore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aaroncstrong said:

Why thank you good sir! It's a cruise. A vacation, so nothing to stress over! I'll enjoy my Haven cruise where it appears I am able to wear a t-shirt and shorts while giving heartburn to those that get flustered when others don't get all dressed to the nines. The heartburn isnt purposeful, just what will invariably happen.

Thanks for the duck analogy. Im trying to decide if im a mallard, wood duck, harlequin....I'm thinking a harlequin!

It is funny how you don't want to be judged for YOUR choices but have no problem judging others for THEIR choices, particularly in a venue where you have no experience at all.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, SelectSys said:

I would think so.  Cruise Critic posted this article:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2772

I am also sure it's possible to forego the main dining room on most ships and get something else.  It seems that the dining room, more than anything else, seems to drive the dress code at night.

But.. why would you? The MDR is already paid for in your fare (unlike specialty). And the food in MDR is better than buffet. So I would dine in the MDR and either (1) dress the part, or something not embarrassing or (2) not care and wear what I want and if I stick out, i stick out.

I wouldn't sacrifice my taste buds.

The NCL MDR is pretty relaxed but one would stick out like a sore thumb in board shorts or sweats.

As for myself, after I came across this thread, I thought it would be fun for the fam to dress up bc it's been a lonnnnng time since we've had a reason to dress up.

In any event. happy cruisin and happy dining!

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Actually, in certain circles some T-shirts and hoodies are chic.   Yeah, but not the one you wore when you  changed the oil in the car 

What about the the one I got as part of promotion for signing up for a new credit card? hah!

20 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

It is funny how you don't want to be judged for YOUR choices but have no problem judging others for THEIR choices, particularly in a venue where you have no experience at all.

Hmmmm? I have cruised before.  Once and skipped the dining room on formal night. Also, no judgment here. See my other posts. 

We all just need a beautiful cruise!

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Haha, so true.  But those clothes were well made.  I doubt button's on current clothes could take the stress!  😀 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, aaroncstrong said:

Hey cruisers! I'm going on my second cruise next month. We will be on NCL's Getaway in the Haven. My husband and I will enjoy ourselves, but...

We really want to find a luxury line to cruise on next. I've found the challenge to be the dress code. We love what Regent Seven Seas does, but if I'm on vacation I'm not wearing dress slacks and a button down. 

As an example, we had my birthday dinner tonight: I wore lounge pants and a long sleeve t. He wore jeans and a Hoodie. This wasn't a really fancy place, but the cost of meals was well over $100 (no booze as we don't drink).

The point is I have to be professional at work and I refuse to do so outside the 6 AM to 5 PM that I work. When cruising we want the splurge which is why the Haven, but really want a small ship luxury line for our next cruise. 

Is this desire even remotely possible in today's world? 

I don't think it would meet the definition of a luxury line but Celebrity has eliminated formal nights in favor of "chic' nights.  Jeans OK.  I've seen shorts turned away.   

9 hours ago, cruisewingman said:

But.. why would you? The MDR is already paid for in your fare (unlike specialty). And the food in MDR is better than buffet. So I would dine in the MDR and either (1) dress the part, or something not embarrassing or (2) not care and wear what I want and if I stick out, i stick out.

I wouldn't sacrifice my taste buds.

The NCL MDR is pretty relaxed but one would stick out like a sore thumb in board shorts or sweats.

As for myself, after I came across this thread, I thought it would be fun for the fam to dress up bc it's been a lonnnnng time since we've had a reason to dress up.

In any event. happy cruisin and happy dining!

What about the the one I got as part of promotion for signing up for a new credit card? hah!

I don't think anyone on Virgin is going to throw you out of the DR wearing this, for a mere $550 plus shipping:

616036_XJD7T_4795_002_100_0000_Light.jpg.webp.640ee22efd4ee32b5b093e3c17dbdd92.webp

24 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don't think anyone on Virgin is going to throw you out of the DR wearing this, for a mere $550 plus shipping:

616036_XJD7T_4795_002_100_0000_Light.jpg.webp.640ee22efd4ee32b5b093e3c17dbdd92.webp

I have no personal experience with Virgin’s dress code — but if tees are not considered appropriate, why would someone’s stupid vanity for being willing to pay $550 for a logo shirt earn them a pass?

• Like 1