UK Sailing testing requirements

Denmal

27 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We have been tested 3 times at the terminal in Southampton in the last few months at Southampton twice on Cunard and once with Princess when free and was very efficiently done with no excessive waiting for result. Personally just dont think it is worth all the trouble just to save about £10 per test. 

Thanks so much for the insight.  @Lady Arwenthanks for the info on boots as well.   

36 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

For those thinking of using Boots for instore LFT prior to your cruise just make sure that the store in Southampton does the test as not all Boots stores do it there is only 50 that do it for the whole of the UK.

Yes, the Boots in the mall does the testing.  We actually went to the website and we can book it online.  Five minutes from our hotel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, the Boots in the mall does the testing.  We actually went to the website and we can book it online.  Five minutes from our hotel.

Has Princess produced a UK list of external testing companies they are actually going to accept?

I will probably go with the port .....just in case 

13 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Has Princess produced a UK list of external testing companies they are actually going to accept?

I’ve not seen anything like that.  Princess does not name the companies. It would be good to know.  We’re going to try Boots first, probably, since it’s so close and then we don’t have to worry about embarkation day.  We don’t cruise from Southampton until September, so hoping the tests will not be needed by then.

I just copied this off the Princess website. 

It includes a link to their testing partners Prenetics. 

"We recommend all guests take their viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. For U.K.-based guests, Princess recommends an option for an FDA-authorized, medically supervised at-home antigen test kit through our testing partner Prenetics™ (£30). Order your Lateral Flow Antigen test kit online^."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, minikiss said:

"We recommend all guests take their viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. For U.K.-based guests, Princess recommends an option for an FDA-authorized, medically supervised at-home antigen test kit through our testing partner Prenetics™ (£30). Order your Lateral Flow Antigen test kit online^."

Yes BUT those can only be ordered in the UK

6 minutes ago, minikiss said:

I really don’t want a do it yourself kit.  Rather have someone else do it.  Good alternative for those who can.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

We are going to go to the port you then at least know if you are negative that everything is OK. Dont think it is worth the hassle of arranging with an independent company and arranging appointments and then hope its the right test and up to Princess requirements just to save £10.

10 minutes ago, minikiss said:

Yes and have you seen the hassle that you have to go through for that Prenetics test it is not worth the hassle. Prenetics have been doing the free tests at Southampton for Cunard, P&O and Princes since cruising restarted last August that is why they are recommending them.

2 hours ago, Billish said:

What will it be like when drive through testing stops though ?

A good point, P&O & Cunard are closing the drive through test centre at Southampton on 31st March, I think Princess use the same centre so I think there will only be testing at the terminal.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We are going to go to the port you then at least know if you are negative that everything is OK. Dont think it is worth the hassle of arranging with an independent company and arranging appointments and then hope its the right test and up to Princess requirements just to save £10.

Absolutely. My thinking too. 

Peace of mind with less hassle is well worth the extra tenner. 

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Just checked and the price at the clinic is £65 and the price at Boots is £30! both at the same mall and you can book appointments online.  Think we’ll book an appointment with Boots, since it’s half the price.  We’ll test the day before our cruise. 

Thanks for doing the legwork. We are on a May cruise and get to Southampton two days prior. We were just going to get the test done at the pier but will now use Boots. We are staying at the Leonardo which is very close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

The Princess requirements are perfectly clear,  and state that the tests provided by the likes  of Boots and Lloyds are totally acceptable. 

I fully understand why you prefer to be tested at the port,  but I think you should stop deliberately persuading people not to use other perfectly acceptable testing methods.

I booked two tests for my wife and I with Lloyds chemists today. It took all of 2 minutes to make the appointments,  with no pre payment. We will know prior to travelling to Southampton that we are negative, won't have to queue to be to tested,  won't gave to sit around waiting  for our results,  and we will save money!  

Seems like a plan to me !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Perfectly reasonable to me. 
thanks for sharing. 

49 minutes ago, paul28 said:

I am just trying to get my math right - if we sail on a Sunday we can get tested on Thursday and be in the 3 day window?

This example was on the Princess site

an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the 2-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

so I would.say you can test on Thursday for a Sunday sailing...if you have 3 days

We will be flying out a day earlier on July 30 over night flight to London, arrive July 31, board cruise on Aug. 1, we will get tested at Costco or Walmart on July 30, is this good? Do we need to get tested again on the embarkation day? We are fully vax and boosted. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Billish said:

The Princess requirements are perfectly clear,  and state that the tests provided by the likes  of Boots and Lloyds are totally acceptable. 

I fully understand why you prefer to be tested at the port,  but I think you should stop deliberately persuading people not to use other perfectly acceptable testing methods.

I booked two tests for my wife and I with Lloyds chemists today. It took all of 2 minutes to make the appointments,  with no pre payment. We will know prior to travelling to Southampton that we are negative, won't have to queue to be to tested,  won't gave to sit around waiting  for our results,  and we will save money!  

Seems like a plan to me !

I am certainly not trying to deliberately persuade people to use whoever they want for testing. I am just giving my opinion especially for those travelling from abroad the mither for such a small saving and not worth the trouble. Having received 3 tests at the port over recent months the wait for your test result is not excessive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am certainly not trying to deliberately persuade people to use whoever they want for testing. I am just giving my opinion especially for those travelling from abroad the mither for such a small saving and not worth the trouble. Having received 3 tests at the port over recent months the wait for your test result is not excessive.

I agree you are not trying to deliberately persuade persuade people. You have merely shared your experiences of the terminal testing. We cruised in October on the Sky and can confirm the testing was quick and hassle free. We travel next week and will keep ourselves to ourselves for the next week. We have NHS lateral flow tests and will test on Sunday. We will then have a good idea as to whether we will pass the terminal test. I hope that as many people as possible test before arrival at the port thus making the terminal testing even quicker!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alcairns said:

I agree you are not trying to deliberately persuade persuade people. You have merely shared your experiences of the terminal testing. We cruised in October on the Sky and can confirm the testing was quick and hassle free. We travel next week and will keep ourselves to ourselves for the next week. We have NHS lateral flow tests and will test on Sunday. We will then have a good idea as to whether we will pass the terminal test. I hope that as many people as possible test before arrival at the port thus making the terminal testing even quicker!

Thank you all I was trying to do is help people, especially those flying in from other countries, and those who have not been tested at Southampton since cruising restarted but obviously some didnt see it like that. Last thing I wanted is for people not being able to be tested as they hoped and planned.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Thank you all I was trying to do is help people, especially those flying in from other countries, and those who have not been tested at Southampton since cruising restarted but obviously some didnt see it like that. Last thing I wanted is for people not being able to be tested as they hoped and planned.

Good points. I noticed in the recent uK update they say iF available. Re: tests at pier. In Ft Lsuderdale a member posted that they ran out of tests at terminal when they planned on getting there for their pre departure flight home

19 hours ago, majortom10 said:

not everyone arriving in Southampton in a car did not use drive through it was only available for those parking with CPS. Anyone else using other companies to park had to be tested at the terminal as a foot passenger not the drive through test area.

We were sailing on Sky in October and used the drive through. I think P&O said specifically it was for those parking with CPS but Princess were not specifying that. 

11 hours ago, Denmal said:

This example was on the Princess site

an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the 2-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

so I would.say you can test on Thursday for a Sunday sailing...if you have 3 days

I don’t read it that way. The antigen test has to be taken within 2 days of embarkation.  A PCR can be up to 3 days. So unless they go for a PCR test then Thursday will be outside of the 2 day window.