UK Sailing testing requirements

Denmal

Now that the rules are out on the Princess site.  We have a cruise leaving southhampton on 6/2.  We need a test 3 days prior to boarding now.  Any idea what the test would cost at the terminal? 

I was thinking of ordering abott test..9 total as I need 2 to get on the cruise and 2 to get home to the US (staying in the UK for another week after the cruise).  Plus a back up..SO 8 total.  Optum store has a 3 pack monitored test...or 2 packs for a total of 210 bucks...not sure what is the best approach....what is everyone else doing foe these sailings??

47 minutes ago, Denmal said:

Now that the rules are out on the Princess site.  We have a cruise leaving southhampton on 6/2.  We need a test 3 days prior to boarding now.  Any idea what the test would cost at the terminal? 

I was thinking of ordering abott test..9 total as I need 2 to get on the cruise and 2 to get home to the US (staying in the UK for another week after the cruise).  Plus a back up..SO 8 total.  Optum store has a 3 pack monitored test...or 2 packs for a total of 210 bucks...not sure what is the best approach....what is everyone else doing foe these sailings??

Too much. Not worth it to me 

59 minutes ago, Denmal said:

We bought 6 paks on the emed website for $150 plus shipping

• Like 2

Check with your airline too, some of them have discounts on supervised self-test kits in the US or appointments in London with a specific promo code. We're also staying in London for a few extra days after our cruise and will likely just pop into our nearest testing site if it ends up being cheaper than buying our own sets here.

On our last two trips (not cruises) the testing requirements changed at the last minute meaning that the test we had bought were not acceptable. We will be doing the cruise provided tests at the pier rather than stress about what will be acceptable in 44 days time.

12 hours ago, peagreenid said:

We bought 6 paks on the emed website for $150 plus shipping

We sail in May and plan to do this too!  I suppose if it is suddenly not accepted at the ship,  there is the cruise line test that we could fall back on.  We need it also for staying an extra week in London and then flying back to US. 

1 hour ago, ROWSE said:

We sail in May and plan to do this too!  I suppose if it is suddenly not accepted at the ship,  there is the cruise line test that we could fall back on.  We need it also for staying an extra week in London and then flying back to US. 

Will Princess accept emed ? The tests have to be supervised either in person or via a video link.

1 hour ago, Billish said:

Will Princess accept emed ? The tests have to be supervised either in person or via a video link.

They accepted emed for our PC cruise in November so assume they still will

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billish said:

Emed is just the supplier as is Optum...  The test for both are made by Abbott and are the BinaxNow tests. I don't think it matters where you purchase them.  They sell them at CVS too... you just have to purchase the telehealth test.  Emed is also the company that does the telehealth portion for all of them.  The top screenshot is from the optum store, the bottom screenshot is from emed. 

image.png.488e3802539fd93069740b0f76280524.pngimage.thumb.png.0b861c8af0e2c0a105a16cc5c8c0173a.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think we’ll just go with the testing at the Southampton pier before embarking and cross our fingers we test negative.  Hoping that this protocol will be dropped by our cruise in September.

Do you know the cost?

I have been taking advantage of the government program of sendinging 4 iHealth tests kits out every month.

https://www.covidtests.gov/

iHealth will video monitor those tests for $20.00 p/p.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

I asked them if this would be acceptable for embarkation on my upcoming Princess cruise.

Brian (iHealth Labs, Inc.) 

Mar 17, 2022, 4:06 PM PDT 

Hello,
Yes, our Verified Test can be used to fulfill the testing requirements of Princess Cruise Line, provided that you are fully vaccinated.
Customer Service Representative

iHealth Lab, Inc.
http://ihealthlabs.com

New advice re testing and price

UPDATED: Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?

To board the ship, all guests age 5 and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken before or at embarkation. Testing requirements are as follows:

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

We recommend all guests take their viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. For U.K.-based guests, Princess recommends an option for an FDA-authorized, medically supervised at-home antigen test kit through our testing partner Prenetics™ (£30). Order your Lateral Flow Antigen test kit online^.

For fully vaccinated guests, we will offer antigen testing at the terminal that meets our requirements. For those that wish to take advantage of this convenience, a fee of $60 USD will apply as a stateroom folio charge to cover our costs.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to the pre-cruise PCR test noted in the chart above. Charges may apply.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel PCR COVID-19 testing to enter a country. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources.

^You are now leaving the Princess website and navigating to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

I see they have removed the reference to “nominal”. I guess they are trying to encourage passengers to test before arrival at the port. 

Edited by Eglesbrech
Information is above alreqdy

18 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think we’ll just go with the testing at the Southampton pier before embarking and cross our fingers we test negative.  Hoping that this protocol will be dropped by our cruise in September.

If you are coming into Southampton a night or so before, there is a rapid testing place in the west quay shopping center across from the premier inn west quay.  It is called the regenerative clinic and the cost appears about the same or less.  It says results for travel within 4 hours for the documentation, so it would not really work if coming in the day of the cruise.   You can book your appointment time in advance on their website.  Just google the name of the clinic, plus west quay Southampton.  

Edited by mina

51 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Testing in the UK now is approximately £35 to£50 per person, so I think it’s a fair price.

Boots and Lloyds both at just under £30 for a LFT.

Personally, I'd rather have it done with them, rather than at the terminal. Less overall hassle, and no travelling all the way to Southampton only to test positive and have to return home !

8 minutes ago, Billish said:

Boots and Lloyds both at just under £30 for a LFT.

Personally, I'd rather have it done with them, rather than at the terminal. Less overall hassle, and no travelling all the way to Southampton only to test positive and have to return home !

We’re coming from Canada and for us it’s us easier to get the test before we board.  We don’t want to be trying to locate a testing spot in Southampton.  Either way, if we test positive, we’re on to plan B, which is to stay in The UK for the duration.

16 minutes ago, mina said:

If you are coming into Southampton a night or so before, there is a rapid testing place in the west quay shopping center across from the premier inn west quay.  It is called the regenerative clinic and the cost appears about the same or less.  It says results for travel within 4 hours for the documentation, so it would not really work if coming in the day of the cruise.   You can book your appointment time in advance on their website.  Just google the name of the clinic, plus west quay Southampton.  

Thank you so much, that’s very helpful!  We’re staying at Moxy Hotel for two nights prior and it’s just minutes from the mall.  Will look into this for sure!