We had some COVID testing drama today …

We had a little COVID testing debacle today that had me panicking …. 

We sail on the Bliss this Sunday the 20th so today starts the 2-day testing window.  We are driving down from Idaho to southern California to catch the ship and planned to get our COVID tests in Utah on the way. 

For the PCR test, the CVS app said that results take 1-2 days but I thought I read here on the boards that they were actually coming out in a couple of hours. Well, just to be safe, I booked us appointments at CVS AND Walgreens (knowing that one would probably be covered by insurance and the other would probably be denied as a duplicate and we’d have to pay - but better safe than sorry) to increase our chances/ensure we’d have the results by the time we boarded on Sunday. 

So, we showed up at CVS for our PCR appointment, did the test and then I asked the gentleman how long it’s been taking. He said at this point probably Monday or Tuesday - um, W H A T? I said what happened to 1-2 days? He said they are very busy because of spring break, but also the lab doesn’t work on Sundays (it’s Utah) and these ones wouldn’t go out until late today, so, Monday or Tuesday. — NOT. AN. OPTION. 

I immediately went to the NCL Sail Safe page to see what else was acceptable. I saw the verbiage that said antigen. We had already booked the other PCR test at Walgreens so we went to get that done but then asked to just get the rapid antigen instead. They said that they were the only Walgreens around that does NOT do the rapid antigen. So, we looked in the app to try to book at another Walgreens today and there were none open today or tomorrow …. at CVS OR Walgreens anywhere between Utah and Las Vegas (where we are staying tonight) and Anaheim where we will be tomorrow. 

I tried my luck pulling up at another Walgreens to see if I could sweet talk my way into a rapid antigen test mentioning the confusion of trying to get the rapid one at the PCR appointment - no dice. 

Now I’m in full panic mode and reading every word on the Sail Safe page. It said if you need to find a place to get tested, you can go to TestForTravel.com. So, we went there and then that took us to CovidClinic.org and we found a location to get it done at in Utah - for $129 each. Mercy. But, we got them done, and (negative) results were emailed and texted to us within the hour. 

I was very worried that we may not be getting on board come Sunday because I wasn’t sure if they were still offering testing at the port. 

Oof; crisis not really averted, but resolved. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is why we buy the eMed kits. No need to worry about outside labs, closed hours, too busy, etc. All done at home, 20 minutes, and done. No muss, no fuss, no worrying, no cancelation. 6 tests for $150, refundable through insurance.

• Like 2

Yep, I use urgent care clinics for my tests all the time. Easy peasy. For antigen tests, I have printed results in hand within 15 minutes of the test. I cant relate to all the fuss and drama on these boards about testing. Oh well. Happy sailing everyone. 

Edited by blueslily

3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

This is why we buy the eMed kits. No need to worry about outside labs, closed hours, too busy, etc. All done at home, 20 minutes, and done. No muss, no fuss, no worrying, no cancelation. 6 tests for $150, refundable through insurance.

I saw that people had done this and thought that my way would be OK and cheaper

- W R O N G!

13 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Yep, I use urgent care clinics for my tests all the time. Easy peasy. For antigen tests, I have printed results in hand within 15 minutes of the test. I cant relate to all the fuss and drama on these boards about testing. Oh well. Happy sailing everyone. 

@farkell @blueslily 

I actually work in an emergency room and I could’ve gotten it there or at one of our urgent cares but the wording said something about verified third-party and I didn’t think our local hospital system would’ve been acceptable …. ? 

2 minutes ago, mearsfansinboise said:

@farkell @blueslily 

I actually work in an emergency room and I could’ve gotten it there or at one of our urgent cares but the wording said something about verified third-party and I didn’t think our local hospital system would’ve been acceptable …. ? 

Oh man, yep, I used urgent care clinics for all my cruises. Three cruises within the past 2 months. Glad to share the info. Glad that stress is over for you. Happy sailing tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Oxo said:

What about using the FREE US GOVERNMENT TESTS that we ask could have gotten in the mail? 

They sent 4 upon request.

Can we use those? 

This is now a conditional "yes" only, depending on whether you received the iHealth home self-test kits as shipped by USPS, that they are unused & unopened.  iHealth is now CDC-approved or accepted to provide proctored testing services, for a fee of $20 per online scheduled appointment on a per person basis - https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service?

Disclaimer - not endorsing them.  They are stating that results will be emailed within 5 minutes to you upon supervised completion of the test as scheduled. This is new and we've twice ordered iHeath's test kits (in-stock again, easy/quick delivery if you are an Amazon member) for home use before and on their marketing/mailing lists, and just alerted to this mid week.  This is dependent on whether the received free tests are from iHealth or a different set by another.  Most of our friends & extended families received iHealth but ours were from Roche ... We still have 2 packs or 4 tests from iHealth and this is a new option for us now, as an extra backup ... Scheduled our PCR testing at local CVS drive-thru (1-2 days) and Rapid NAAT at Walgreen for same day results as we are cruising next weekend.  Lately, (NY) City's mobile free pop-up testing centers have no lines and no waits, Antigen Rapid test results are uploaded within 30 to 60 minutes also ... of course, with the BA.2 subvariant rising - things could spin the universe sideway quickly.  

Happy, healthy & safe cruising to all.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

For any future cruisers, looking to get tested,  we used https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.   I  would definitely use them again.

I clicked on the link to "get started" and got this. I thought this was an online proctored test.
The procedure suggested doesn't seem likely to get results in time to board the ship.
What am I missing?

"Inspire Diagnostics provides a reliable and efficient way to ensure a safe return to travel. Any number of test kits can be shipped and delivered at home for pre-travel testing. Each kit comes with self swabs as well as detailed instructions on how to collect a specimen and then overnight it back in the mail to Inspire Diagnostics’ CLIA-licensed laboratory. Once samples are received, results are automatically reported to participants within 24 – 48 hours.

Proof of the negative results can be used as official documentation for domestic or international travel (depending on the destination, as the rules and requirements are evolving)"

3 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I clicked on the link to "get started" and got this. I thought this was an online proctored test.
The procedure suggested doesn't seem likely to get results in time to board the ship.
What am I missing?

"Inspire Diagnostics provides a reliable and efficient way to ensure a safe return to travel. Any number of test kits can be shipped and delivered at home for pre-travel testing. Each kit comes with self swabs as well as detailed instructions on how to collect a specimen and then overnight it back in the mail to Inspire Diagnostics’ CLIA-licensed laboratory. Once samples are received, results are automatically reported to participants within 24 – 48 hours.

Proof of the negative results can be used as official documentation for domestic or international travel (depending on the destination, as the rules and requirements are evolving)"

We used this on our last 2 cruises.  Results are available immediately via email after testing.   The link posted takes you to their site to signup for a date and time specific to NCL cruises  They mail you the tests. Also send to NCL.  The proctor is done by video chat.

• Like 2

We scheduled a test at our local Little clinic, just in case, but took the Home Antigen test that is proctored. Got the results back instantly. The only people who need the PCR tests are unvaxxed children under 12 who are allowed to sail (check your cruise line as this is changing.)  We got our 8 years olds' PCR back in one day. 

After we got our proctored results back, we canceled the Little Clinic appointment. 

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, davencl said:

We used this on our last 2 cruises.  Results are available immediately via email after testing.   The link posted takes you to their site to signup for a date and time specific to NCL cruises  They mail you the tests. Also send to NCL.  The proctor is done by video chat.

Thank you.  So what is posted on the website is incorrect?
It is really proctored by video chat?  

1 hour ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Thank you.  So what is posted on the website is incorrect?
It is really proctored by video chat?  

From that webpage(https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/) down in the FAQ's.: "Individuals who are testing using an antigen + proctored test, will receive their results immediately following their proctored session. Individuals who are using a PCR / lab processed test, will receive their results 24 hours after the lab receives your test."

What really matters is our actual experience.  Yes we used the antigen + proctored test, results were available immediately following the session.

Also important to go to https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/  rather than just https://inspirediagnostics.com/.

Edited by davencl

Aren't they doing tests at the pier? I am booked for a cruise on the 20th as well. There are no rapid tests around here within their required 2 day window. But the Norwegian pdf was saying that tests are available at the pier. Has that changed?

By the way, I had tests done in Utah for free in the past. I didn't look this time because I left 4 days in advance. But they would usually do both PCR and a rapid one at the same time 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

Aren't they doing tests at the pier? I am booked for a cruise on the 20th as well. There are no rapid tests around here within their required 2 day window. But the Norwegian pdf was saying that tests are available at the pier. Has that changed?

I think they are still testing at the pier, but now you have to pay for it.

• All current US departure ports (except those listed below) - $125 per person
  • New Orleans - $180 per person
  • New York - $250 per person
  • San Juan - $150 per person

8 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

By the way, I had tests done in Utah for free in the past. I didn't look this time because I left 4 days in advance. But they would usually do both PCR and a rapid one at the same time 

This should be qualified as price gouging. The antigen tests cost at least 10 cheaper for the kit itself. The results are there instantly. There is nothing that should cost so much about these tests

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

What am I missing?

Do they antigen test,  not the PCR.  Sign up and order the tests, and pick a date and time you want to be tested.   The tests are mailed to your house before your scheduled date.   On the date and time you picked,  you log on to a video call,  someone will explain exactly what to do and watch you self test.  They come back about 10 minutes later and verify your results, and immediately email your results, with all your information. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davencl said:

How do you get results immediately if you are doing test at home? How can they run a test to see if it negative or positive when you are

hundreds of miles away? I was under the impression you had to mail the test back to them.