Magic 8 night or Mardi Gras 7 night

MamatoJack

Carnival Magic 8 night vs Mardi Gras 7 night  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you book Magic or Mardi Gras

• Magic 8 night Aruba, Bonaire, Amber Cover
    • Mardi Gras 7 night San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk

I'm looking to book a trip after Christmas, the kids school board has Christmas break ending January 9 which is unusual for us so I want to take advantage and go south. We are planning on a few (busy) days at Universal followed by a cruise. So far I think either Magic 8 night to Aruba, Bonaire & Amber Cove or Mardi Gras to San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. We have B2B on Horizon booked in April that includes Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, and Mardi Gras in December 2023 which includes the same cruise. So.. I'm not sure how much the ports really matter in this case. We have been on Magic before and enjoyed it. But Mardi Gras is very new and looks really great, and I've also heard lots of great reviews. Magic is actually a few hundred dollars cheaper for the extra day, but we'd get home on the Sunday instead of Saturday (gives us an extra day to do laundry, settle  back in at home before back to school/work on Monday). We are going to be booking an interior, probably up near lido deck. Kiddo loves water slides, ropes course etc, I just like to sit and read, but he'll be 13 so keeping him busy is important (and hopefully there will be some other kids to make friends with). For excursions I prefer less expensive ones 😄 beaches, and such. We often do one that's a little more fun but in this case the pre cruise portion is going to be costly so I'd prefer to keep it less expensive. I know at Amber Cove we can hang out at the pool, and Grand Turk has the pool and beach right there. 

I would go with the Mardi Gras since the ports aren't that important to you and it is the better ship. With Mardi Gras, you get a new ship that is truly shiny and a game changer for Carnival.  So many fun things to see and do, and it is great for a teen.  Imagine the bragging rights of going on the first rollercoaster at sea. Plus you get home a day early, which is a benefit for you. 

• Like 2

It all depends on whether you want to be on a mega size ship like the Mardi Gras or a mid size ship like the Magic. DH and I will not book the Mardi Gras just because of its size due to some mobility issues I have. We have sailed on the Magic twice since last August and will sail on her again this May - really loved the ship and the size was right for us. No kids, so not interested in anything the Mardi Gras has to offer kids. Since you do have kids the Mardi Gras might be the choice for your family.

Made similar choice recently but for the week before Christmas.  We love Magic (and the Breeze) and have sailed both a few times but had the opportunity to throw Mardi Gras in the mix once the 72 hr sale offers hit my account.  Like you, the ports not really a factor since we have been to all of them between the 2 itineraries but have not been on Mardi Gras yet.  We booked Mardi Gras since we were driving down to PC anyway and the 72 hr offers kind of made it a no brainer opportunity.  If ports are not factoring into your decision then take the opportunity to try out Mardi Gras, why not?  

• Like 1

Since you mention that you usually book interior cabins,  Mardi Gras has a few larger interior (I believe Premium Interior?) cabins that are about the same size as OV.  Sitting area with sofa.  The reason we have never booked interior is because of limited seating for the three of us.  They are a bit more expensive than regular interior, but cheaper than OV.   We are booked in one next February.

• Like 1

We are doing the same thing! A few days in Orlando, hitting up the theme parks, and then jumping on the Mardi Gras NYE. Bringing our 2 adult "kids" with us. Son is graduating college and daughter in her 2nd year! Looking forward to the itinerary and ship! Our daughter has to be back to school Monday, so getting back home Saturday evening was a plus for us! If you end up booking...See you there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiserbrianj said:

Looking at the same two cruises. Leaning towards the Magic because we're headed on the Mardi Gras in 10 days and Aruba/Bonaire are places we haven't been before. Plus, we really enjoyed the Magic this past November. 

Hiiii! I’m headed on Mardi Gras in 10 days too!

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 8:05 AM, MamatoJack said:

I'm looking to book a trip after Christmas, the kids school board has Christmas break ending January 9 which is unusual for us so I want to take advantage and go south. We are planning on a few (busy) days at Universal followed by a cruise. So far I think either Magic 8 night to Aruba, Bonaire & Amber Cove or Mardi Gras to San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. We have B2B on Horizon booked in April that includes Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, and Mardi Gras in December 2023 which includes the same cruise. So.. I'm not sure how much the ports really matter in this case. We have been on Magic before and enjoyed it. But Mardi Gras is very new and looks really great, and I've also heard lots of great reviews. Magic is actually a few hundred dollars cheaper for the extra day, but we'd get home on the Sunday instead of Saturday (gives us an extra day to do laundry, settle  back in at home before back to school/work on Monday). We are going to be booking an interior, probably up near lido deck. Kiddo loves water slides, ropes course etc, I just like to sit and read, but he'll be 13 so keeping him busy is important (and hopefully there will be some other kids to make friends with). For excursions I prefer less expensive ones 😄 beaches, and such. We often do one that's a little more fun but in this case the pre cruise portion is going to be costly so I'd prefer to keep it less expensive. I know at Amber Cove we can hang out at the pool, and Grand Turk has the pool and beach right there. 

Mardi Gras definitely.  If I had not sailed on the MG and sailed on the Magic it would not be an issue but the MG is such a great ship with so many amenities going to the Magic after sailing the MG would certainly be a let down. Just MO

I faced the same decision but I am retired. I have never been to the ABC Islands. I have been to San Juan and GT. I chose ports over ship and it was a little less expensive for the 8 days. I will catch the MG another time.

I have been to all of those ports and on both of those ships.  I like the ports that the Magic is sailing to better, but I think experiencing a cruise on the Mardi Gras is worth it.  It's an amazing ship and has a lot more variety of options with food and entertainment.

We had the same choice for a new years eve cruise . We have been on the Magic 3 xs since restart and love that ship . That being said we went with The Mardi Gras because of the ports ( My wife has been trying to get to GT 3xs and each time either changed or canceled ) and to try this ship out .  We have 3 cabins on deck 5 for the 6 of us sailing , A spa inside , spa oceanview , and a cove balcony .

On 3/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, Djptcp said:

It all depends on whether you want to be on a mega size ship like the Mardi Gras or a mid size ship like the Magic. DH and I will not book the Mardi Gras just because of its size due to some mobility issues I have. 

@DjptcpWhen we were on the Mardi Gras last November, there were many many cruisers in scooters, wheel chairs and walkers.  Lots of room on main decks to maneuver, but you would need a handicap cabin for scooters barely enough room o get by when left in cabin deck passageways..  

We looked into these as well and chose the Mardi Gras NYE cruise.  If you book that one my soon to be (jan) 13 year old son will be in it as well!  We're hoping for lots of kids his age too. Its a Christmas present for him.  GL, you can't go wrong no matter which one you pick!

• Like 1

I had this exact same choice recently!  I went with the Magic since I had never been to Bonaire and I wanted to re-visit Aruba.  I have been on the Magic twice already and I really loved it both times.  I will catch the Mardi Gras another time!  I sail in 29 days:)  You really can't go wrong imho