Tips for San Juan?

dpemd

I'll be on the Edge next month. There is a stop in San Juan from 4pm to 11pm. I'm looking for something to do with my family (wife and teenagers) that allows us to be back on the ship by 8pm and isn't an excursion or restaurant. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

18 minutes ago, dpemd said:

I'll be on the Edge next month. There is a stop in San Juan from 4pm to 11pm. I'm looking for something to do with my family (wife and teenagers) that allows us to be back on the ship by 8pm and isn't an excursion or restaurant. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

We did a walking tour on our own in Old San Juan.  I found some routes online and printed it out before going (it also had descriptions of areas so I could be our tour guide). 😉

We found a bar we loved that we stopped in. Prior to going we found a place we wanted to eat to try mofongo so we worked that in as well along with some stops to shop, take pictures, etc... We had gotten in around 3:30pm and needed to be back onboard by 9pm.  

I can dig up the one I used if interested.  It took us by many sites including inside the Catholic Church.

I believe there is a free trolley service.  We walked everywhere.  

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

If you've never been there, I would recommend just getting out and walking around.  It is a very interesting city.  Stop at a bar with atmosphere and have a drink.  By the time you dock and the ship is cleared, it will be after 4:00.  I don't know the situation now, but pre-Covid there were some stores that stayed open until 6:00, although many closed at 5:00.  The forts close by then as well, and it is too late to visit the Bacardi factory without a tour.

We usually walk around old San Juan and sometimes to the forts if we have plenty of time. The streets of old San Juan are very picturesque and the teens will probably like taking photos around town to post on social media. 

One interesting store to visit is The Butterfly People, who mount and sell exotic butterfly art.  Very interesting and makes a nice souvenir or gift.  We have several from there from our travels.  Here is the website - you can contact them to confirm their hours if you are interested to see if they are open when you will be there.

http://www.butterflypeople.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpemd said:

If you forget items or needs meds, there is a CVS and Walgreens right there at the pier.  We always take a walk to one of the forts where the views are just spectacular.  I would recommend El Morro which you will see upon entering the harbor.  If you have a National Parks Pass, bring it along as it will allow you and guests free admission.  We then walk around town.

Unfortunately you are arriving a tad too late.   I was going to recommend the La Fortalexa (the Governor's Mansion) tour.   It is only done 2x a day at 8:15 and 3:30 (M-F).    It is right at the base of Old Town and a really interesting tour of the grounds and gardens and if the Governor isn't in residence takes you inside the mansion.  

• 2 weeks later...

You can spend many lovely hours just walking around Old San Juan's blue-cobbled streets.  We were in Old San Juan in March and spent four hours walking and seeing all the great historic sites, art, and architecture.  It's a fairly small historical center and very easy to explore on your own!

Terrific Things to See and Do in Stunning San Juan

Have a great trip!

Lisa

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

San Juan on a Sunday? 

Hi All, We will be arriving NCL Sky on Sunday May 22nd and be there from 8-4. We have never visited San Juan and look forward to exploring Old Town & try to see some forts. 

I saw that the La Fortaleza doesn't have tours on Sunday, are there other places that will be closed? 

Do we just walk off the ship & head towards Old Town or do we take a Taxi/Bus/Trolley?

All tips are welcome & appreciated!!!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...