Issues with getting spouse Diamond status

So maybe I'm wrong with how this is supposed to work, but we are having issues getting my husband diamond status from me. 

The situation before we got married:

Me: Diamond status 76 points (inherited from parents)

Husband: Gold status 10 points 

I called and they added a relationship so he should get Diamond status as well (at least that's what they said on the phone!). However our accounts now say:

Me: Diamond status 76 points

Husband: Emerald status 76 points

I was under the impression that he would keep his points at 10 and just get the Diamond status, and the second rep on the phone agreed but it still just says Emerald. 

Any clues on what to do at this point? Because I don't technically have enough points to be Diamond myself, does that mean my husband isn't able to have Diamond status with me? Our cruise is in May so I still have time to work it out, but this is a very confusing situation. Especially with the drink credits every day, I want to get him Diamond if possible! 

So I think the problem is you account should have been showing the points your parents had when your account was unconnected from theirs. My friend got diamond from his parents, but didn't show his point total until after the last cruise when he personally finally had more than his parents did when he turned 18. (So for example his account showed 100 points even when he had only actually earned 78.)

They connected his account to yours so he now has the points you have. They technically match the points not the status...the status just follows the points. For some reason your account is only showing 76 points but giving you diamond, but when they match the points to your husband he gets emerald because diamond is 80+.

So that's why he's not diamond. I couldn't say if a call would help because based on your points you shouldn't be diamond... if you got diamond from your parents you should see 80+ points on your account. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 2

This makes sense to me. It appears that you can only share the status you've actually earned.

You have not earned Diamond, you've only earned Emerald. You only have Diamond because at least one of your parents were Diamond before you turned 18. You still have to earn your own status upgrades from there. Moving to D+ is only based on your own accumulated points.

Your husband is now linked to you and (apparently) your earned status. As soon as you earn Diamond on your own, he will also enjoy Diamond perks.

• Like 8

Yeah it's really confusing, all the wording online and in message boards talks about matching status so I was under the impression it didn't matter if I had enough points or not. That's what they said over the phone too... Don't know where the misunderstanding is. 

I'll be Diamond in points after this cruise at least! I just wish he could get the drink credits every day, that would save alot of money. 

Those are the correct assessments.  Technically you at 76 points are not Diamond - that may just be a carry over from your parent's status when you were pre-18.  But if C&A is showing you as such, then good for you.  But you will both need to take one more 4-night cruise for your husband to reach, and you to be "officially", Diamond.  Points will accrue in a combined manner from there with your husband continuing to match yours.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Yes I've been on a few cruises since turning 18 (in late 20s now) and it's never been an issue. I've had Diamond status the whole time. Not sure why the points didn't transfer, maybe an issue with the older points system? Quite a few of the cruises were pre-2011 

10 minutes ago, saridien said:

I'll be Diamond in points after this cruise at least! I just wish he could get the drink credits every day, that would save alot of money. 

If C&A is still showing you as Diamond currently, then you should be eligible for the drink vouchers on your next cruise.  As your husband is listed as Emerald that won't technically benefit him, but you might ask that on board as if you are listed as Diamond, so should he be.  But it all depends on what your C&A status is actually listed as on your boarding documents. 

The vouchers have a $13 value each, so (once officially eligible - whichever way it goes for you) you will each have 8 per day, which goes a long way in offsetting drink costs.  My wife and I have 10 combined each day and rarely use all, converting them to unopened beer and Truly's at the end of the night to go into our room cooler for future use.

8 minutes ago, saridien said:

Yes I've been on a few cruises since turning 18 (in late 20s now) and it's never been an issue. I've had Diamond status the whole time. Not sure why the points didn't transfer, maybe an issue with the older points system? Quite a few of the cruises were pre-2011 

Status transfers, but points don't. So you get to keep your parents diamond status, but you only have your earned points.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, saridien said:

If you have had D status on your recent cruises, have you not been provided the vouchers?

The conversion from the old point system was a number of years ago and should have had all points correctly converted long ago, so that your actual cruise point status (pre / post age 18) should be correct.  You can go on your C&A account and it will show all past cruises to confirm.  You can also call C&A and have them work it through with you to be sure all is correct.

When the conversion was initially done, most accounts were essentially rounded up with points with shorter v longer cruises to be sure nobody would fall short of the correct tier once converted.  I would have this checked.

Yes, I think the issue is points vs status.

I inherited my parents diamond status but not points. 

But my husband is inheriting my points and not my status. 

For some reason the relationship transfer worked different this time than 10 years ago when I turned 18. I don't know why that would be. 

20 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Status transfers, but points don't. So you get to keep your parents diamond status, but you only have your earned points.

See, that's not what is happening with me and my husband. He got my points and not my status. I also thought your explanation here was right, that he should be diamond with 10 points. 

Edited by saridien

20 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you have had D status on your recent cruises, have you not been provided the vouchers?

The conversion from the old point system was a number of years ago and should have had all points correctly converted long ago, so that your actual cruise point status (pre / post age 18) should be correct.  You can go on your C&A account and it will show all past cruises to confirm.  You can also call C&A and have them work it through with you to be sure all is correct.

When the conversion was initially done, most accounts were essentially rounded up with points with shorter v longer cruises to be sure nobody would fall short of the correct tier once converted.  I would have this checked.

Yes, on past cruises I have used the diamond vouchers (although the old ones - just good for the liquor they serve in the diamond lounge). So my diamond status is fine, it's just my husband's that's an issue 

6 minutes ago, saridien said:

Yes, on past cruises I have used the diamond vouchers (although the old ones - just good for the liquor they serve in the diamond lounge). So my diamond status is fine, it's just my husband's that's an issue 

Then you will still get them on your account in the amount and value as described.  Your husband really isn't an issue as he is correctly matched to your points, and as mentioned, tier level follows points.  In other words, I think you are getting a bonus at 76 points = Diamond.  But that will all change for him - and be correct for you -  after this cruise.

I just found on their website:

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated according to the number of nights sailed."

So... My husband should be at Diamond with 10 points? Really not sure why this didn't happen when I called either time. 

10 minutes ago, saridien said:

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated according to the number of nights sailed."

So... My husband should be at Diamond with 10 points? Really not sure why this didn't happen when I called either time. 

Yes - but at 76 points your actual tier level is Emerald, not Diamond.  As you are over 18, I believe you have mistakenly benefited by your parents tier level, as at 18 your account becomes individual and tier level based on your own points.  You are adding him into your account, not your parents.  So rather than him being Diamond, IMO based on your 76 points you should actually be Emerald with him, not Diamond.

If C&A has you listed otherwise, then good for you - their error in your favor!  But I would hate to see you jeopardize that by pressing too hard on your husbands status - especially when the whole topic is moot after your next cruise.  🙂

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes - but at 76 points your actual tier level is Emerald, not Diamond.  As you are over 18, I believe you have mistakenly benefited by your parents tier level, as at 18 your account becomes individual and tier level based on your own points.  So rather than him being Diamond, IMO you should actually be Emerald. 

Not true. A minor accumulates their own points, but receive their parent's status.  At 18, the now non-minor's account is unlinked.  Points revert to individually accumulated points, status remains the same as prior to unlinking.

I'm not quite sure how it works adding a spouse to someone with inherited (but not earned) status.  Regardless, the husband should be upgraded to Diamond once the wife "earns" Diamond at 80+ points.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes - but at 76 points your actual tier level is Emerald, not Diamond.  As you are over 18, I believe you have mistakenly benefited by your parents tier level, as at 18 your account becomes individual and tier level based on your own points.  You are adding him into your account, not your parents.  So rather than him being Diamond, IMO based on your 76 points you should actually be Emerald with him, not Diamond.

If C&A has you listed otherwise, then good for you - their error in your favor!  But I would hate to see you jeopardize that by pressing too hard on your husbands status - especially when the whole topic is moot after your next cruise.  🙂

My parents were diamond when I turned 18 so I inherited their status, I didn't receive diamond by mistake. That's how the system is supposed to work. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Not true. A minor accumulates their own points, but receive their parent's status.  At 18, the now non-minor's account is unlinked.  Points revert to individually accumulated points, status remains the same as prior to unlinking.

I'm not quite sure how it works adding a spouse to someone with inherited (but no earned) status.

Agree. Was Diamond Plus 15ish yrs ago and have 2 Daughters. One moved Married and she lost my Diamond Plus Status though is a Diamond on her own. Not surprise. Funny thing is other Daughter still has my name/Address though shes 23yrs old, moved/Married, hasnt Cruise in 14yrs and still listed as D+. Just got another Flyer from Royal with her Status listed yesterday. Curious so I logged on Royal, she's still a D+, Weird

Edited by ONECRUISER

53 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The vouchers have a $13 value each, so (once officially eligible - whichever way it goes for you) you will each have 8 per day

It is only four per day at Diamond, 5 at D+, and 6 at Pin. They will have 8 total per day, not 8 each.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, saridien said:

I think it is a matter of how it shows in the system. His shows Emerald with the amount of points that you have earned. But, somewhere in the system, they have his correct number of points. While you are linked, there is no point in showing how many points he has. My family all have my status level, and my number of points. But, after we cruise again in May, which will be my daughter's first cruise since she turned 18, her points will be reduced to her own points while remaining at our current status. It will just take her longer to reach the next level. 

16 minutes ago, saridien said:

My parents were diamond when I turned 18 so I inherited their status, I didn't receive diamond by mistake. That's how the system is supposed to work. 

But YOU aren’t a “true diamond”, you are emerald based on points. You are asking Royal to status match your husband to your parents.

Doesn’t work that way. 

• Like 5

Let me clarify my comments for those who have posted after me.  For some, we are saying the same thing.

As a child, you share the same tier level status as your parents.  If they are Diamond. so are you regardless of how many cruises you actually have taken.  No mistake made in status.

At age 18, your points actually earned create your own account and you are no longer linked to or sharing status with your parents.  Your actual points earned now determine your actual tier status.  In the OP's case, that would be 76.

The C&A mistake made here IMO is that the OP is being recognized as - and getting benefits from - Diamond status, which as a child she shared with her parents, but has only earned 76 points from cruises she has actually been on.  Therefore the comment about her really being Emerald, and not Diamond.

Her husband has been by marriage merged into her account and now shares her total points of 76, correctly making him Emerald.  After their next cruise they will both  - by their earned point total - be Diamond.

Her benefit as Diamond at 76 is technically incorrect and should based on her own earned points in her account be Emerald.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It is only four per day at Diamond, 5 at D+, and 6 at Pin. They will have 8 total per day, not 8 each.

Correct and thank you. I meant "combined", which I indicated with our total at D+, not "each" as said in the sentence regarding Diamond.  Don't like to misrepresent - appreciate the correction.

32 minutes ago, saridien said:

Yes, I concur.  My daughter and son became Ds as they were under 18 and were assigned my wife and mine tier level.  I'm D+, but my daughter, son, sil, dil and 3 granddaughters on their sail documents are all listed as diamond. All don't have the necessary points/nights to be D on therir own.

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

But YOU aren’t a “true diamond”, you are emerald based on points. You are asking Royal to status match your husband to your parents.

Doesn’t work that way. 

I understand the points don't match the status, but my account says Diamond and I have been Diamond for 10 years at this point without the points to back it up. 

My impression of the policy and what they told me on the phone is that my husband can get my status as well, but we are having issues with that. 

Obviously this is a very niche problem to have, I'll just have to call them again and figure out what we should do.