Navigator and aft vibration issues?

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Navigator still has vibration issues aft? I can't find anything posted recently. I'm being offered category F on Deck 8 or 9. Is this a big enough issue to upgrade to category G? Thanks all!

Worldtraveler - Perhaps I misunderstand, but going from an "F" to a "G" would not be an upgrade.  "F" is a Deluxe Veranda whereas "G" is a Deluxe Window (no balcony).  Do you actually mean, "Is this a big enough issue to upgrade FROM a "G" to an "F" on Deck 8 or 9"?  Regards.

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Navigator still has vibration issues aft? I can't find anything posted recently. I'm being offered category F on Deck 8 or 9.

Yes, she still has some vibration aft.

For us the vibration is not the problem but rather the various rattles that it can induce in the aft suites which can be annoying.

We would opt for E on decks 6/7 or D on 7/8 rather than the F suites.

If a balcony is not a must-have then the G suites are just fine (same large size) 

• Like 1

I agree with Flossie - I actually kind of like the vibration, but it can cause tinking and clinking in the ceiling tiles or glassware, or odd creaks throughout the night.  Doesn't bother me too much but my wife doesn't like it much.

We're booked more forward on our next Navigator cruise, just to be safe.

Navigator "rocks and rolls" a lot in heavier seas. This is in addition to the aft vibration issue which I would describe as anything but enjoyable. For both reasons, if we ever sailed Navigator again (highly unlikely), we would only book midship (which I think is now a concierge).

Yes, that video is representative of the vibration that can occur on Navigator. Not always but in rougher seas and higher speeds.  

Also, btw…the show lounge/theatre is aft on Navigator on deck 6/7. And Galileo’s is above on deck 11. I have seen the entertainers dancing a little sideways in rougher seas.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Worldtraveler - Perhaps I misunderstand, but going from an "F" to a "G" would not be an upgrade.  "F" is a Deluxe Veranda whereas "G" is a Deluxe Window (no balcony).  Do you actually mean, "Is this a big enough issue to upgrade FROM a "G" to an "F" on Deck 8 or 9"?  Regards.

Thank you. I meant to write: "upgrade to category E" not F.

11 hours ago, Jlhalldc said:

The vibration can get pretty strong especially when starting up and slowing down. Here's a funny video from the aft lounge. Perfect motion for mixing drinks. Martini, anyone?

Thank you for this link! It gave me more perspectives on many aspects of Navigator. So many love the ship.

15 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Also, btw…the show lounge/theatre is aft on Navigator on deck 6/7. And Galileo’s is above on deck 11. I have seen the entertainers dancing a little sideways in rougher seas.  

Funny, we were on a chocolate cruise and the Valrhona presenter almost fell over doing a presentation in the show lounge, cursing under his breath.

The last time we were on the Navigator a number of years ago the vibration produced a roaring sound in the theater, making it difficult to hear anything. Remember that the Navigator started its build as a Russian military ship. It was bought mid-build by Radisson (now Regent) and finished out as a cruise ship. Russian ships are not known for comfort.

Really, there's no need to remember anything about Navigator having been a "Russian Military Ship" because right now, today, she's sailing as a Regent ship with the same standard of decor and comfort we've come to know and love. We look forward to joining her for another cruise this Summer, to having easy access to everything we need and to enjoying another wonderful Regent cruise (in just 122 days time @briar14!)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

the Navigator started its build as a Russian military ship

Hull only.

As @Gilly rightly says of no relevance to the Seven Seas Navigator of today, which we have always found to be very comfortable.

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Russian ships are not known for comfort

Some of the Oligarchs' luxury mega-yachts look to be fairly adequate 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

Really, there's no need to remember anything about Navigator having been a "Russian Military Ship" because right now, today, she's sailing as a Regent ship with the same standard of decor and comfort we've come to know and love. We look forward to joining her for another cruise this Summer, to having easy access to everything we need and to enjoying another wonderful Regent cruise (in just 122 days time @briar14!)

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Hull only.

As @Gilly rightly says of no relevance to the Seven Seas Navigator of today, which we have always found to be very comfortable.

Some of the Oligarchs' luxury mega-yachts look to be fairly adequate 😉

So glad you two set the record straight. Someone always drags the beginnings of the Navigator up. It has no bearing on the ship you sail on today. She is a beautiful well maintained ship with that great Regent service. If you like a smaller ship she is great, one of our all time favorites!

• Like 3

Regardless of the Navigators origin (which is a valid fact) , and despite its loyal fans…it still does have its shortcomings as noted previously. I have sailed Navigator, all of Seabourn’s smaller ships (450pax), Silversea smaller ships, and some of Windstar’s former Seabourn ships. All vastly outperform the Navigator in rough seas, have no serious vibration issues and offer better interior space (I.e. forward observation lounge).  Navigator has been nicely furnished, crew are great and it is smaller than other Regent ships which is a bonus.  Just not sure that it compares per diem to the luxury Regent experience and value per $ spent.  

4 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Navigator has been nicely furnished, crew are great and it is smaller than other Regent ships which is a bonus.  Just not sure that it compares per diem to the luxury Regent experience and value per $ spent.  

I have not done an exhaustive study, but my gut impression on the voyages I have looked at is that the per diem is a bit lower on Navigator than on the larger Regent ships.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I have not done an exhaustive study, but my gut impression on the voyages I have looked at is that the per diem is a bit lower on Navigator than on the larger Regent ships.

I get that feeling as well.  Haven't researched it much either but that's the general feeling I get when looking for cruises...

3 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I get that feeling as well.  Haven't researched it much either but that's the general feeling I get when looking for cruises...

You are both correct - Navigator is a bit less. Best deal out there, IMO.

Yes, advertised fares on the Navigator are lower than other regent ships. The advertised fares are always for the least expensive suite class. On the Navigator only, it is for window suites — no balcony. On the other hand the base suites on the Navigator are larger than most other ships in the fleet — even if upgraded to the lowest balcony class.

1 minute ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes, advertised fares on the Navigator are lower than other regent ships. The advertised fares are always for the least expensive suite class. On the Navigator only, it is for window suites — no balcony. On the other hand the base suites on the Navigator are larger than most other ships in the fleet — even if upgraded to the lowest balcony class.

We always book F or higher on Navigator - I love having a balcony, regardless of the itinerary.  Just the same way we always book F2 or above on Explorer/Splendor/(future) Grandeur.

Cabin selection can get a bit murkier on Mariner and Voyager...

I too like the F suites, preferably on deck 6.  We've had good luck with 631 I believe it is.

Now if they'd just have offered a good French Polynesian itinerary sooner than 2024, I'd be there!

Thinking about small ships.  We were on Seabourn's Quest several years back.  It's a very nice little ship, but aside from Seabourn Square (which is a terrific asset), I think I prefer Navigator.

• Like 1

Wendy, we have cruised in those odd numbered suites on deck 6 towards the bow and loved them. They have lots of space and absolutely no vibration — at least on our cruises. 

Sorry to have ruffled feathers with my post about the Navigator’s history of its hull. I only thought it might be a reason for it’s rough ride on rough seas. 

• Like 1