What is Le Petit Chef?

ShelleyQT

Long time cruiser here, but new to Celebrity.  I'm seeing lots of posts talking about Le Petit Chef.  What is it, exactly?  What kind of show is it?  Are there chefs cooking in front of you with comedy?  I've seen pictures of tables from this event, and it looks like maybe it's some kind of cartoon table screen or something?

Do you get to choose your meals, or is it a fixed menu?  Can you see the menu ahead of time?  How much does it cost? 

Thanks and happy cruising!

Totally unique very entertaining show, we do it once on all of our celebrity cruises, there is a set menu and a alternative menu and you can pick from either , in most cases the end of the week will have different menus including lobster. Didn’t like there wine list so we brought our own bottle.

• Thanks 1

I suggest you do not watch on YouTube, much better to see it live and enjoy the novelty.

First time we went we thoroughly enjoyed it, second time less so. We are unlikely to do a third…

I would recommend to experience but we see it as fun dining rather than fine dining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

Long time cruiser here, but new to Celebrity.  I'm seeing lots of posts talking about Le Petit Chef.  What is it, exactly?  What kind of show is it?  Are there chefs cooking in front of you with comedy?  I've seen pictures of tables from this event, and it looks like maybe it's some kind of cartoon table screen or something?

Do you get to choose your meals, or is it a fixed menu?  Can you see the menu ahead of time?  How much does it cost? 

If you are looking for fine dining, there are better choices at other specialties restaurants.  Great place for parents sailing with kids.  Don''t pay full price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to recommend it in the sense that lots of people seem to love it.  We're not fans.

It's all about a cartoon projected onto your table and plates that tells a story of how the food is prepared. There is a set menu, and an alternate menu you can switch to, course by course, if you don't like the principle menu. (If you do switch from the main menu, the animations don't change).

The food is fine, but nothing special. Similar to what you get in the main dining room. Really, you're paying for the show. I think the show is lame - in comparison to modern video games I think it's fairly low res.   It all seemed very much form over substance. It might be that the second half the meal is much better than the first half. Couldn't say as we gave up and went to Luminae half way through.

Still, as noted above, lots of people rave about it. So while it is not our cup of tea at all, you might love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not my cup of tea, either. Big 3D fish swimming around projected on the table? Nope. Pay extra for a little novelty chef dancing around on my plate? …just give me a great chef in the kitchen.

On our first Celebrity cruises years ago, we were blown away with how wonderful the Murano specialty restaurant was, comparable to the most elegant & expensive restaurants in Washington DC. Besides the great food and highly-trained servers, they provided an uncrowded, quiet, elegant atmosphere. The fine dining restaurant had alternate names on some ships, for example Ocean Liners which displayed memorabilia from vintage 20th century ships.

Celebrity’s management style changed in recent years, and they are targeting younger passengers with whatever seems hip & trendy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP was just asking about what it is.  They can make up their mind on it if they decide to try it.  Those of you who tried it and are negative about it kind of detract from the fun of the first time.  Maybe it is one and done but it is a different experience and many do like it at least once.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

The OP was just asking about what it is.  They can make up their mind on it if they decide to try it.  Those of you who tried it and are negative about it kind of detract from the fun of the first time.  Maybe it is one and done but it is a different experience and many do like it at least once.

Agree.  I did my first cruise on EDGE and I was cruising solo.  If I were sailing alone on my next cruise I’d not do it.  But on our December cruise my husband will be with me and we will do it then.  He’s watched the video and thinks it looks really cool, he’s a very techie engineering guy and I’m sure he will explain exactly how it was developed and programmed 😂

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just off Summit. Chose menu with lobster and filet mignon pre boarding. Once on the ship the menu changed to short ribs. No filet mignon or lobster on any night. Ended up eating the alternate menu of branzino (watch for bones). Show was good and menu just so-so.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 8:07 PM, ShelleyQT said:

It in my opinion is an overpriced novelty.  While there are other menu items available, this only works for the chicken breast or lobster.  A little animated chef appears on your plate preparing and dragging your entre to your plate.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sailaway Girl said:

Just off Summit. Chose menu with lobster and filet mignon pre boarding. Once on the ship the menu changed to short ribs. No filet mignon or lobster on any night. Ended up eating the alternate menu of branzino (watch for bones). Show was good and menu just so-so.

We sailed summit a few months ago and filet mignon was on the menu, every time we went there they had that, but I thought it was a inferior cut of filet. I would rather have the branzino. 

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

It in my opinion is an overpriced novelty.  While there are other menu items available, this only works for the chicken breast or lobster.  A little animated chef appears on your plate preparing and dragging your entre to your plate.

For me, I really enjoyed, made the dinner kind of entertaining and as they sat me with folks I did not know, didn't have to make a lot of small talk and look at/hear all about the grands.  Though it's a one and done for just me, that said, I'm glad I did it, would not do again if sailing alone but if I was with someone that has not done it, I'd happily go with them.

Wife and I went on April cruise and we’re disappointed in the quality of the dinner.  The show itself was cute but in our opinion not really worth the cost.  Just our opinion.  Others have found it very good.