LIVE from Discovery Princess - March 27th, 2022 - 7 Day Mexican Riviera Inaugural Sailing

scottsdalelove

5 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

How was embarkation?  We are on the April 10th sailing we are in the 1st boarding group and are elite how long did it take to get on the ship?  I know with it being to first sailing it was probably chaotic and hopefully will get better on our cruise.

AstroFlyer posted about it a couple of pages ago. It's there.

Here are some thoughts after day 1 on the beautiful Discovery Princess & it’s wonderful crew. These are merely based on my limited experiences in as objective manner as possible. I am not the Author of this thread but here are my experiences. I’ve attempted to post about some of the commonly asked questions.

• QR Codes: For anyone not using mobile devices with a QR app there are no paper menus at places around the ship. At Good Spirits a QR app was required to view drink menu and at Sabatini’s, Salty Dog Gastropub & Crown Grill there is only a QR code at entrances. 
  • Crown Grill: When seated they had paper menus & great service with a perfectly cooked tender & tasty filet mignon. Used Cruise Night coupon for a free bottle of wine (first night only) but was charged $46.02 so need to get it reversed after GSD lines get shorter…no reply on Crew Chat.
  • Breakfast buffet: Very limited options and no type of potatoes but lots of trays of sticky white rice and pork & beans.
  • DMW: Does not work on app & our Skagway (6-midship) nightly 1800 reservations we had when boarding were changed to Ketchikan (6-aft) but not going to attempt to change it & to risk losing our 1800 reservations.
  • Specialty restaurant reservation: We decided to pre-book the CG despite it not accepting our booking included dinner. We paid by c/c in advance to ensure we got a first night reservation. GSD said that within 2 weeks my c/c would have a credit & will check before disembarkation on 4/10. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 3/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, scottsdalelove said:

I personally am ignoring all the thoughts of possible chaos that could occur (lol) and am focusing on just getting on board!!! I do feel bad though as I know there are a lot of people who are legitimately nervous and freaking out (like my sister who is sailing also on this cruise). But I have faith that at 4pm today, we will all be on board and sailing away.

See you Aboard!!

Joseph and Christy

Scottsdale, AZ

Just curious, does anyone know what happened to the original OP? They haven't posted to this thread since the first page.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, does anyone know what happened to the original OP? They haven't posted to this thread since the first page.

I think they are having too much fun on the cruise and forgot about us. 😄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here are some thoughts after day 1 on the beautiful Discovery Princess & it’s wonderful crew. These are merely based on my limited experiences in as objective manner as possible. I am not the Author of this thread but here are my experiences. I’ve attempted to post about some of the commonly asked questions.

• QR Codes: For anyone not using mobile devices with a QR app there are no paper menus at places around the ship. At Good Spirits a QR app was required to view drink menu and at Sabatini’s, Salty Dog Gastropub & Crown Grill there is only a QR code at entrances. 
  • Crown Grill: When seated they had paper menus & great service with a perfectly cooked tender & tasty filet mignon. Used Cruise Night coupon for a free bottle of wine (first night only) but was charged $46.02 so need to get it reversed after GSD lines get shorter…no reply on Crew Chat.
  • Breakfast buffet: Very limited options and no type of potatoes but lots of trays of sticky white rice and pork & beans.
  • DMW: Does not work on app & our Skagway (6-midship) nightly 1800 reservations we had when boarding were changed to Ketchikan (6-aft) but not going to attempt to change it & to risk losing our 1800 reservations.
  • Specialty restaurant reservation: We decided to pre-book the CG despite it not accepting our booking included dinner. We paid by c/c in advance to ensure we got a first night reservation. GSD said that within 2 weeks my c/c would have a credit & will check before disembarkation on 4/10. 

While I understand it, I found the QR codes to be annoying and only intermittenly successful on my device. I like real menus!

And did they really say your CREDIT CARD would be credited for the specialty dining you prepaid? I am also unable to book free specialty dining  for May and considered this, but others have reported they can only get OBC (which I dont need).  I would do it if they would credit the credit card. Hope you enjoy your cruise! Ioved Enchanted and Discovery looks equally nice!

Edited by Buckeye10640

My Medallion Appl. working a little better now. Got some help from staff. I never log out of it. so was not logged off when I arrived at ship and still logged on today. She told me to log off and go back on,  which did. So some functions are now working but still can't get on Journeys (for the patter).

Funny thing happened this morning. We had flipped the security on our door knob inside(turned to the  left so no one could enter. Well, it jammed and we were trapped inside. Called our room stewardess and she was at our door in two minutes. She was giving us directions but could hardly hear her because those doors seem soundproof. She couldn''t get in either. she wound up going to neighbors balcony ,unlocking the door  to ours and entered our cabin. Then she also was now locked it. She used her weight (she was a larger person) against the door and slid the lock back to open position  . Then she advised us to not lock it again. Not a very safe place to be locked in if an emergency occurs. We had a good laugh about it and I am sure the door lock will get fixed.

The ship feels very crowded. Lots of people in the Piazza. Also the ordering drinks on appl. on Medallion doesn't seem to be working. Friends sitting in the coffee bar area ordered coffees. For 45 minutes said it was being prepared. Then all of a  sudden showed cancelled. Long lines to get coffee  if you order by the IC. We ordered ours direct from bar staff and took a few minutes but it was fine. No one is complaining (and neither are we). This ship is new. crew getting used to the ship and so are we.They are so happy to be working and we are happy to be here with them. have seen some familiar faces both crew and fellow passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

While I understand it, I found the QR codes to be annoying and only intermittenly successful on my device. I like real menus!

And did they really say your CREDIT CARD would be credited for the specialty dining you prepaid? I am also unable to book free specialty dining  for May and considered this, but others have reported they can only get OBC (which I dont need).  I would do it if they would credit the credit card. Hope you enjoy your cruise! Ioved Enchanted and Discovery looks equally nice!

I agree…prefer paper menus. I installed a QR app on my mobile devices but not everyone wants to carry their devices around.

I would have accepted OBC because we’ll have a balance due but when the GS rep checked with a supervisor he said that within 2 weeks would have a c/c credit. I will continue to check before we disembark on 4/10. I don’t know  if my experience is policy or is just how one GS supervisor handled it so your experience might be different.

We know the first couple of trips are shakedown cruises & understand there will be some issues. But the hardworking crew are doing their best to help passengers & are happy to be cruising again! 😃

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

DMW: Does not work on app & our Skagway (6-midship) nightly 1800 reservations we had when boarding were changed to Ketchikan (6-aft) but not going to attempt to change it & to risk losing our 1800 reservations

I have been wondering if they are holding Deck 6 Aft DR out of DMW on purpose and then allocating folks who have booked or tried to book "Same Time/Table/Waitstaff" for full voyage.  Not my fave DR at all, but may have to accept it in order to have the dining arrangements we want. 

43 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have been wondering if they are holding Deck 6 Aft DR out of DMW on purpose and then allocating folks who have booked or tried to book "Same Time/Table/Waitstaff" for full voyage.  Not my fave DR at all, but may have to accept it in order to have the dining arrangements we want. 

I was thinking the same thing because that deck 6 aft dining room has previously been full time TD before DMW. Weeks before boarding we got moved from midship to aft before using DMW to move back to mid…that didn’t work after boarding.

My wife wanted the more stable midship location for the same time each night but Skagway includes Club Class & possibly it’s been expanded if there are VIPs onboard. We’re disappointed but things happen & we won’t starve. ☺️

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sandyoftheseas said:

How was embarkation?  We are on the April 10th sailing we are in the 1st boarding group and are elite how long did it take to get on the ship?  I know with it being to first sailing it was probably chaotic and hopefully will get better on our cruise.

Hi, we are on the April 10th sailing, too. Have you tried to book specialty dining on the medallion app? We keep getting error messages. We were on the phone with Princess for an hour this morning and they couldn't get it sorted out.

57 minutes ago, avery66 said:

Hi, we are on the April 10th sailing, too. Have you tried to book specialty dining on the medallion app? We keep getting error messages. We were on the phone with Princess for an hour this morning and they couldn't get it sorted out.

We are not doing any specialty dining on this cruise so I haven't tried.  Good luck trying to get it sorted out.   I was on the phone earlier with Princess trying to see why my medallion went form Illinois (we are in Michigan)  to Los  Angeles CA.  They show that they are scheduled to ship to my house but don't know why they are in California. The agent stated this was to early for them to show up at the cruise terminal

13 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

We are not doing any specialty dining on this cruise so I haven't tried.  Good luck trying to get it sorted out.   I was on the phone earlier with Princess trying to see why my medallion went form Illinois (we are in Michigan)  to Los  Angeles CA.  They show that they are scheduled to ship to my house but don't know why they are in California. The agent stated this was to early for them to show up at the cruise terminal

I'm in Ohio.  Same thing with mine.  I cruised with Princess in January and the tracking seemed to start in Illinois, but then was suddenly in LA.  I'm booked on Discovery and my medallions just shipped and seem to be taking the same odd route.  Last time, I got them about a week after they shipped.