Offered upgrade declined and did not get original cabin back

Baywoodmc

We are traveling on the Princess Majestic on April 16. Our group booked 5 balcony room all next to each other. One cabin was offered an upgrade to a mini suite. They called up Princess and told them they wanted to keep their cabin and not upgraded  Princess said that it would not be a problem and they could keep their old cabin but it would take a few day. They called Princess today (waiting on hold for 11/2 hours) and were told that they were not getting their old room back plus the new cabin is not a mini suite just a balcony room. This is the first time they cruised on Princess and they are very unhappy along with the rest of us. Has this happened to anyone else? Does Princess have a special department to fix this, calling 800 princess does not help. I arranged getting the five cabins for us. I am Ruby and will be Platinum after this cruise.and I was wondering if I call maybe I could get better results. NCL has an special email for problems like this does Princess? Also is there a phone number for the Princess corporate office, calling them might make something happen. Any suggestions would be welcome.
On another topic, since we booked the price dropped $100 and the OBC increased from $100 to $200 will Princess do anything about that. Thanks for your help.

Did you book through a travel agent? If so, you need to go through them. Also, when booking, have your TA note that you want the cabins of your party linked and be sure to state No Upgrades.

• Like 1

I have had this happen a few times now. Marked No Upgrade. Did not reply to ema I did not get notifying me, and could not go ve me back my cabin.  Cruises were cancelled anyway.  In the past they gave 24 hours, atleast to accept the upgrade. No more.

Was the person "offered" an upgrade or was the person told that had a free upgrade?

If offered with a need to respond to the offer, the original cabin should not have been assigned to someone else until and only if the offer is accepted.

It looks like Princess gave a free upgrade and assigned the original cabin to someone else assuming the person would love the upgrade and not reject it. This happens often.

Might try contacting Princess (or your TA if the booking is with a TA) telling them they should give the upgrade to the people newly assigned to the original cabin and put your person back in that original cabin.

As another person posting stated, if you did not have the bookings marked "will not accept upgrade," Princess assumes you want one if available as that is the default option.

• Like 1

Called Princess today after talking with an agent for 1 hour and discovering there were no other available balcony rooms near our room. There was nothing she could do so she switched me over to customer solutions . It took over 1 1/2 hours to get through. The customer solutions person investigated the problem and saw that that my friend had called the Princess on the day they got the upgrade email and said that did not want the upgrade and want to keep their room. The Princess person called the travel agent who had booked the room my friend had and found out that the new people did not care if they were moved to another room. So she move the new people to another room. And my friend got his old room back.

Altogether it took 4 hours. Lesson learned:

1. If you don’t want to change rooms select no upgrade. 2. If you get an upgrade and you don’t want it call Princess the day you receive the upgrade email. 3. If you get upgraded after you told them no call Princess and ask for customer solutions.

By the way customer solutions also does the shareholder benefit so she took care of mine when we were on the phone as I had emailed to them as week. All of us are very happy. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Baywoodmc said:

Called Princess today after talking with an agent for 1 hour and discovering there were no other available balcony rooms near our room. There was nothing she could do so she switched me over to customer solutions . It took over 1 1/2 hours to get through. The customer solutions person investigated the problem and saw that that my friend had called the Princess on the day they got the upgrade email and said that did not want the upgrade and want to keep their room. The Princess person called the travel agent who had booked the room my friend had and found out that the new people did not care if they were moved to another room. So she move the new people to another room. And my friend got his old room back.

1. If you don’t want to change rooms select no upgrade. 2. If you get an upgrade and you don’t want it call Princess the day you receive the upgrade email. 3. If you get upgraded after you told them no call Princess and ask for customer solutions.

By the way customer solutions also does the shareholder benefit so she took care of mine when we were on the phone as I had emailed to them as week. All of us are very happy. 

👍 Glad everything worked out so well for you and the others travelling with you.

14 hours ago, Baywoodmc said:

We are traveling on the Princess Majestic on April 16. Our group booked 5 balcony room all next to each other. One cabin was offered an upgrade to a mini suite. They called up Princess and told them they wanted to keep their cabin and not upgraded  Princess said that it would not be a problem and they could keep their old cabin but it would take a few day. They called Princess today (waiting on hold for 11/2 hours) and were told that they were not getting their old room back plus the new cabin is not a mini suite just a balcony room. This is the first time they cruised on Princess and they are very unhappy along with the rest of us. Has this happened to anyone else? Does Princess have a special department to fix this, calling 800 princess does not help. I arranged getting the five cabins for us. I am Ruby and will be Platinum after this cruise.and I was wondering if I call maybe I could get better results. NCL has an special email for problems like this does Princess? Also is there a phone number for the Princess corporate office, calling them might make something happen. Any suggestions would be welcome.
On another topic, since we booked the price dropped $100 and the OBC increased from $100 to $200 will Princess do anything about that. Thanks for your help.

I was on the Majestic Princess March 5, 2022. The price of the cruise dropped a few hundred dollars. Princess wouldn't give us onboard credit because we had paid in full. The only thing we could do was upgrade from a balcony to a mini-suite (because that's technically what we paid for).

I heard a lot of people getting moved on my cruise. If I've picked a great cabin, I request not to be moved.

5 hours ago, Baywoodmc said:

If they moved your friend around,  they should move the "new occupants" around. Something similar happened to me. I booked a room & a few weeks later I noticed it was changed(no notification). I called & after a long phone call they said the room originally had could not have been booked by me because it had been booked several months before by someone else. Who knows what happened

51 minutes ago, MountainEER74 said:

I have looked all over the Princess website and cannot find any option to request not to be moved. Is this something only TAs can do? 

Yes.  If you book directly with Princess, you need to call them to indicate a "no upgrade" preference.  My TA always books every cruise "no upgrade" but I always double check anyway.

That happened to us on the Majestic too.  We were moved from a balcony to a minisuite, but it was under the buffet with obstructed balcony.   I called immediately to get our cabin back.  

In the meantime, our original cabin was for sale on the website!! 

Luckily,  the supervisor (on hold 2 hours) fixed the problem and got us back our original cabin.  

On 4/2/2022 at 6:59 AM, Level six said:

That happened to us on the Majestic too.  We were moved from a balcony to a minisuite, but it was under the buffet with obstructed balcony.   I called immediately to get our cabin back.  

Luckily,  the supervisor (on hold 2 hours) fixed the problem and got us back our original cabin.  

I don't understand them moving without notice! At least you got your room back

16 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Even if you  request "No Cabin Upgrade" it can still happen.  They can still move you.

It's probably hidden in the passage contract.  Though, if the upgrade is a downgrade as most seem to be, I guess the option is to do business elsewhere.  My gut tells me the cruise market will continue to get more and more competitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I don't understand them moving without notice! At least you got your room back

Oh, they sent an email, saying I got an upgrade.  Then I called immediately after seeing what the upgrade was(NOT).  Sorry, I should have said that in the beginning. 

11 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Even if you  request "No Cabin Upgrade" it can still happen.  They can still move you.

And that happened to us, and well before anyone had heard the dreaded term Covid.

On 4/2/2022 at 2:59 PM, Level six said:

Can be a good idea to put a hold on the cabin on line, as it could be gone by the time you get through.

51 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Same happen to me.

The cruise contract basically says they can do anything they want. One thing that means is that despite you marking no upgrade, they can still move you. And what they consider an upgrade may very well vary from what you consider an upgrade.