International Cafe question

SomewhereGirl

Will the International Cafe wrap up items to take elsewhere on the ship?  I've only previously sailed short cruises on the Golden and Star, and it was always so hard to find a place to sit in the Piazza.  One time I had a little sandwich on one plate and a little salad on the other, and ended up at the pool deck, having carried these open items up there.  Next cruise is on the Majestic.  The International Cafe stresses me out.  It would be nice to have the items covered to take elsewhere.

Piazza area on Royal class ships much bigger.  Seating can be an issue at times, although I manage.  I don't go to the buffet area, IC is my place breakfast and lunch.  I've never noticed if they have "to go" containers.

Maybe your answer is to order items from the Ocean Now App. which will deliver to you wherever you are on the ship. Personally I have never seen the IC wrap items, but they may have some wrap if you ask. They do have to go beverage containers.

Edited by skynight

Take some ziplock baggies of different sizes with you.  I always pack a few, as they come in handy for numerous things.  I always throw some biscuits or crackers in one, some pieces of cheese in another and some grapes in another from the buffet.  Makes a nice little snack with a glass of wine on our balcony.  A large one could easily hold a sandwich for you.

• Like 2

I usually order something like the continental breakfast from room service as soon as possible and hide the tray so it doesn't get taken. Then I use the tray to go to the buffet, International Cafe, etc. When they give me the cardboard tray for carrying coffees I also save that and take it again each day. 

Edited by Bollycats
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

We have reusable plastic picnic plates on our cruise packing list specifically for this purpose.  I like to go to the IC and load up on breakfast foods while my wife and daughter shower and get ready for the day.  I transfer the food items from the small serving dishes to my plates and return the china back to the servers. I can carry and balance way more food this way without risking a disaster on the way back to my cabin.  We have done the same thing on ships with a Skywalkers and will often take our IC booty with us to that venue in the afternoon where the venue is rarely utilized, and very peaceful.  Never a problem finding a seat.

3 hours ago, Bollycats said:

I usually order something like the continental breakfast from room service as soon as possible and hide the tray so it doesn't get taken. Then I use the tray to go to the buffet, International Cafe, etc. When they give me the cardboard tray for carrying coffees I also save that and take it again each day. 

Oops, thought it was a smiley face. Meant it be be as it's exactly what we do. We keep it in one of the drawers with extra silverware and bowls. Our own private "kitchen "

They've really attempted to do away with all the plastic onboard. We have been known to use those foil bags that the breakfast sandwich comes in for snacks from the IC.  If we don't have it with us, we simply cover the plate with a napkin if we are carrying it anywhere.  But, we most often just order from the app .. they have a greatly expanded room service menu now.  

6 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Pretty sure there are no "to go" boxes, but there are napkins. Grab some & use to cover your food.

Agreed - I have never seen a "to go" box but I have always been able to get a cardboard "tray" that holds four cups of coffee. One can get a coffee tray and it will easily carry two cups of coffee and a couple of muffins (or something else of that sort) in the other two "coffee" spots. Obviously not a solution for something like a macaroni salad but it will work for some items.

5 hours ago, QuilterGirl said:

Another idea is to visit a "dollar" store before your cruise, and purchase a package of shower caps - probably 10 for $1.25 nowadays.  A shower cap makes an excellent dish cover.

I had read this suggestion a couple of years ago and added "shower caps as to-go covers" to my packing list.  I never did it, but this is an item on my list.

I've seen a number of folks take the small tray from their cabin that normally holds the drinking glasses, etc. and carry it down to IC or the buffet to use when they carry things back to the cabin.

• Like 3