How is Holland for single woman?

cmerun

I started sailing HAL when I was a young single woman, went back to HAL as a married woman, and have continued sailing HAL as a widow. I have always had a great time and been treated well by the crew and most of the passengers. 
I find the fellow passengers to be well traveled, interesting, open people. They enjoy sharing their experiences with others and are welcoming to strangers. 

I enjoy having fixed seating for dinner, at a larger table. That way I get to know a small group well, and have a nice feeling heading to the dining room each night. 
It's always easy to find a single seat in the shows and lounges, so there is someone with whom to strike up a conversation. You just need to get out and do it! 

• Like 10

Agree.  After many cruises with my wonderful DH, I have continued to cruise alone.  I am very comfortable and meet many cruisers  from around the world.  I do ask for and get a dinning table for one (two) I have been invited  to join other kind passengers.  Will cruise as long as HAL is in business.  Hal cruising has been in the family at least or more than 50 years.  

• Like 1

I echo what the above posters have written.  I usually am seated at a MDR table with a larger group.  I have attended the “solo travelers” group luncheon. One cruise we formed a trivia team. On my last cruise in January met several lovely women and we had a great time - Enjoyed some tours together, Pinnacle and Canaletto dinners, etc.

Get  out there and enjoy yourself.  Cruising is a very safe way for an older woman to travel!

• Like 3

Although I cruise with my DH, he chooses not to participate and do his own relaxing, so I am always alone for activities, shows and some shore excursions,even snorkleling in Puerto Vallarta last month.  I have never had any trouble joining in and have met very interesting singles.  You just have to take the plunge and participate on your own!

• Like 3

I’ve been on several cruise lines as a Solo.  Sometimes as a solo member of a group put together by my brick and mortar TA, sometimes as a Solo booked with my PCC.

I’ve found HAL to be the cruise line that is most comfortable for me as a Solo.  The room and dining stewards are friendly and polite.  (I cannot tell you how great it felt to be greeted by several of them when we came across each other as we were in port one day.  Even though they were on their limited time off ship, they asked if I needed anything and pointed out the best places to eat and buy things!).

The two greatest differences I’ve found is the way the Bar Staff and Shore Excursion Staff treated me.  The Bar Staff ALWAYS remembered my drink preferences.  The Shore Excursion Staff ALWAYS steered me towards an excursion or not depending upon how safe a port would be for a single woman to wander.

It is quite daunting to travel the first time as a Solo female.  HAL treats their passengers with respect and a personal touch that makes the entire experience comfortable.  They do not treat the Solo female as an oddity, which I’ve found with other cruise lines.  Book a short cruise to some place you REALLY want to visit and ENJOY!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem traveling solo and have done so, off and on, for many years -- both land travel and cruises. I think almost all of the cruise lines I've sailed on do a good job with solo passengers, and that includes HAL, Princess, and Celebrity among the mainstream lines. 

I find as a solo that I much prefer smaller ships, as it's much more likely that you will run into people who you've already met (dined with, sat next to, took an excursion with, etc.). On larger ships it can be more difficult to find that camaraderie.

That said, HAL does a good job with solos.

I've done 17 solo cruises on HAL and only had a problem on one of them.  There were several large tour/travel groups onboard, and they formed cliques.  I found it difficult to find a seat in the Lido because other's didn't want me to join them.  Same with the DR; I had open seating and even though I was willing to share a table, others didn't feel the same way.

I have never cruised HAL solo but I would never hesitate to do so.  I meet allot of solo passengers on board.  I am sortA solo except I have to share my cabin.

I cruise with my elderly father. My dad and I do our own thing.

Edited by liketraveling
  • Like 1