Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

20 hours ago, groryjm said:

In gerneral as a Brits we have tea at 4.00 and dine at about 8.00 😎

We are having trouble getting any sort of confirmatation from the shoreside concierge that our Murano and Tuscan bookings are confirmed. So feeling nervous that our planed "date" nights at Murano might not come about.

If you get a chance to mention to mention to Petre our concens then feel free to mention them to him. I'm the guy in fancy waistcoats with a beard who has a habit for turning up for just cheese. He might know me as th strange person who doesnt drink wine but wierd drinks like an incredible Hulk ( Congnac and Hpnotic)

We did three cruises lst summer and thourhly enjoyed haveing the specialities as our MDR.

We plan to have dinner at Murano on 1st May... Maybe see you there?

The reason is Petre and the other specialty can not open the bookings for a cruise until one day before the beginning of a cruise.    Do he can’t even confirm us until last day of this cruise.  

He says he gets an email From shoreside and blocks them once the system opens. 

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will do.  Petre is a real nice guy about 5’8”, skittle stocky, balding, glasses. 

Thank you for the description but I don' t think its the same Petre. The other one is around 6'2" slim and no glasses. Hopefully we'll get to see all the crew we knew again someday post covid.

Thanks

7 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I've long thought that last year was a 'golden year' as far as our cruising was concerned. We were on Silhouette three times and Anthem of the Seas once with mask wearing being compulsory and largely observed throughout the ships. It helped that each sailing was less than half full, we don't frequent bars and we eat very early at each meal.  Each bus tour had pre-assigned vacant seats and the tour guides had to read out the covid-safe instructions at the start of each tour mandated by Celebrity/RCL. Of course there were always the few with 'nose overhang' or who, whilst clutching a bottle of water remained mask-free throughout much of a journey but not many.

This year, on Apex in January out of FLL and recently on Princess out of Southampton, you could feel that compliance was slipping, although the 'masks in all indoor areas' was still compulsory on both ships.  I found the tour buses of particular concern and although we head for the back seat, on one occasion, a couple got there ahead of us and promptly removed their masks as soon as the bus moved.  I asked in a pleasant tone if they would mind wearing their masks and the lady said 'I do'. However, they did comply, but I felt the frosty atmosphere. 

Our next cruise is in June and I really hope we have had another booster jab by then (currently only available in the UK to people over 75 or the medically vulnerable). It may well be true that we will all get covid at sometime, but I would rather it not be just yet and not when I'm away from home, and I can see that taking avoiding measures on cruise ships, is becoming more difficult. 

Iain and Jim, I'm enjoying your account greatly and I hope that you both continue to remain virus-free and have a great time.

Thank you we really appreciate it.  My only recommendation is to wear the best masks you can get N or KN95 with the best seal.  

I’m surprised with the age restriction.  At home in California they are now now offering for 12 years and above.   Maybe you should stop by for a visit. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure what iOS or phones that support this. 

First click on a photo with a plant or tree and open

At the bottom click the info button

You will notice a Leah’s on photo - click leaf or the word Look up plant

Now that's a seriously cool feature. Thank you!

Your pictures are just wonderful, by the way. It's almost like being there.

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I’m surprised with the age restriction.  At home in California they are now now offering for 12 years and above.   Maybe you should stop by for a visit. 

Where I am only first booster is only available for people up to 59 years. Second booster is only available right now for those over 60 - I'm hoping it will be expanded on soon because people taking boosters the % is lower than the original doses and we've recently removed mask mandates so numbers are climbing (I'm still wearing a mask when I go to stores but notice less and less people are now). 

• Like 2

I think about 5% of Brits are wearing masks now! I actually forsaked my mask at a cavernous warehouse store for the first time today. I have had two boosters and the virus. 

Brugge is fantastic. We enjoyed a drunken New Year there in the 90s. However last time we visited Zeebrugge on the Eclipse we went to the Great War sites and Menin Gate - amazing!

Had a great holiday in a gite beneath Mont St Michel many years ago. The sheep who grazed on the salt flats beneath the Mount came past the house every evening and the dust went all over my brand new car🙀. My brother in law painted the scene. The lamb was fantastic😸

B7E2B2F9-E168-4B43-8C72-86040466A0FF.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I think about 5% of Brits are wearing masks now! I actually forsaked my mask at a cavernous warehouse store for the first time today. I have had two boosters and the virus. ....

My brother in law painted the scene. The lamb was fantastic

B7E2B2F9-E168-4B43-8C72-86040466A0FF.jpeg

For a moment, I thought the picture was suggesting these sheep represented cruise passengers without masks lining up to get on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Geoff -

Will do.   To be honest I haven't been down this cruise.   I you can suspect with the heavy passenger load and the percentage of British it has been busy.  

Since we are on deck 11 it is so much easier to pop up 2 floors to 14 (of course 13 is missing) and grabbing my fix at al Bacio Segundo -  usually not one is up there ordering. 

Thanks it will be great if you can as it's nice to be able to bring the odd item they can't always get on the ship. The last time we met her she completely freaked out my brother and his wife who were on their first cruise. After boarding we  went straight to the Al Bacio and as we sat down Olyesia arrived and put a Latte down in front of me. My brother said "I didn't see you order anything" to which I replied "I didn't, she saw us arrive and knew what I would order". He wasn't convinced until Olyesia said to my wife " I'm sorry Miss Anita I didn't bring you a drink because I never know if you will want a Latte, English breakfast tea or a weak hot chocolate". You just don't get this sort of service on any other type of holiday.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and don't forget to wish your fellow English passengers a Happy, if slightly late St George's Day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That's what really surprised us.   I'll have to ask how many children.

It’s the UK kids’ school Easter holiday/break, I think. 

UK and North America have different school holiday dates AND lengths! One thing though, the UK schools’ summer holidays are often mid-July to mid-Sept. 

5 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Where I am only first booster is only available for people up to 59 years. Second booster is only available right now for those over 60 - I'm hoping it will be expanded on soon because people taking boosters the % is lower than the original doses and we've recently removed mask mandates so numbers are climbing (I'm still wearing a mask when I go to stores but notice less and less people are now). 

Hi Lena 11033,

Just in case it can help you. I am a neighbour to your east (Province of Québec) and as it is in Ontario, officially, the second booster is only officially available to people of 60 years old and above at the time of booking the appointment.

Given that I will be turning 60 later this year, that I received my third dose a long while ago ( August 2021) and that we are hoping to go on a cruise in Europe in June 2022, I was really hoping and interested in receiving a second booster (4th dose).

So, I call the Quebec service responsible (taking an appointment on line did not work for me) and explained my situation. Not only, to my big and happy surprise, did she give me an appointment for early May, but she mentioned that at this point, they no longer refused anybody....

That mention did not fall into deaf ears. I was able to also obtain an appointment for my wife who is only 57.

So, I wonder if the same approach is taken in Ontario? 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 6:36 AM, Redking said:

Me too. We're on the Eclipse in Jan 2023 and the Edge in Jan 2024. Apparently they will decide in a few weeks😡me thinks they'll wait to see how the restart goes in Oz. Very frustrating 😕 

We've booked the Edge for February 2024.  In the meantime, we're taking full advantage of the NZ/Australia border opening and my husband & I are having a quick 5 day trip to Auckland & Rotorua in June 2022 to celebrate his birthday.  This is to make up for the 3 NZ trips we had to cancel due to Covid.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FeebeeH said:

We've booked the Edge for February 2024.  In the meantime, we're taking full advantage of the NZ/Australia border opening and my husband & I are having a quick 5 day trip to Auckland & Rotorua in June 2022 to celebrate his birthday.  This is to make up for the 3 NZ trips we had to cancel due to Covid.

Sounds Fab. I checked the rules for a quick jaunt over to Brisbane. Got totally confused, gave up and hope that the qld govt update the rules and the website shortly. Seems a lot clearer for coming into NZ. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

After we made the summit, we were told we could explore the island on our own for the next 2 hour.

We decided to walk down to a beach we saw. The way up.   It was beautiful and our slice of total solitude 

We had been given a bag lunch when we boarded so had a picnic on the beach 

5CBD5095-585C-4076-90B5-D3F87A0FE9FD.thumb.jpeg.f90d185541dc1551f455320a21fc8301.jpeg

A68EFB8A-4EE3-4426-9249-FEA526A93722.thumb.jpeg.2649c6c35c51c7ed3d36e13147ec7f39.jpeg

FC821ABE-30A5-45D9-8D5E-D5ACEB97BCCE.thumb.jpeg.b57454345ae7f145cee1beb998676c49.jpeg

7E2E7A74-746E-406C-8823-48C14F6029A1.thumb.jpeg.85770b2aab3337f6cc7840911866ff5f.jpeg

C45FEF25-78E3-436A-854F-4A4C6085014B.thumb.jpeg.64848b51d486e75598a9ae722a48970a.jpeg

C4B27B2D-0EBF-4778-AABE-96ECAC1E57FB.thumb.jpeg.4f49d10ba4ef576a8160cc3a05b808cd.jpeg

i decided to toss some left over bread and discovered how territorial the gulls can be. 

4BE28AA0-0B35-42FD-A071-93CE8BE2BA96.thumb.jpeg.c0caa6758914124d87a9fa96d16322fe.jpeg

• Like 12

We ate the first night in Murano and the second in Tuscan Grill.   Both ExcellentI.  

I do have to say Tuscan has upped their game and again had a wonderful time.  The Matre'd greeted us by name and when I gave her our room number she said -- NO need I immediately recognized you.  We got our same table and waiter.  

I chuckled to Iain and said -  we are being stalked.    The couple with a 9 month old in  a pram were at the next table just like Murano.  On both occasions they were the best parents one would believe.  Both times if the child whimpered one of them would jump up and immediately leave the room and would come back in 5 minute with the child back fast asleep.    We did end up have a delightful conversation.   They are traveling with his Parents.      They said he was a really calm baby and would often awaken when he felt food.   LOL

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Last night we dined in Luminae for the first time.   We were happy we decided on Murano for the first night as the stories we heard from the staff lived up to our experience on the first night many times. 

We were surprised to find out the Sommelier from the first cruise and lunch on embarkation day was missing.   We were told he wasn't feeling good....hmmmm.    They have a new Sommelier by the name of Charles and at least one new waiter in the rear room.

Laurance has been so good to us.    First day for lunch she was going to setup a table by the window for us and I noticed a corner table next to the kitchen with no table within 10 feet and I suggested it,   

We are accumulating  bottles of wine in our stateroom refrigerator (gifts from Hotel, Director,  CC Manager, Welcome Bottle etc)   Iain is Nelson our butler to send a nice bottle to Luminae for dinner.   He asked what time we would be dining and we told  him 8:30 and he said no problem.

When Charles took the wine order,  Iain informed him Nelson had sent a bottle down.   He is brand new to both the ship and Celebrity and was a bit befuddled.   He went to look for it and couldn't find it so came back and said he was working on it and offered Iain another glass of wine while he sorted it our.   He was very apologetic.   

We next could hear in the back room him calling Nelson and reaming him a new one.   He finished say NO you will meet me now on 3.   My guest is waiting.   Ouch. 

A minute or two later out came the Grigich Hill Chardonnay, albeit not properly chilled. 

• Haha 1

The dynamics of this cruise are as different as night and day.   People everywhere and what a party group.     All the bars were packed to near capacity.     They have had to pull some of the staff and move around.    Luminae capacity is the same but the MDR has Quadrupled. 

The ship was in party mood last night

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Nicely put.  I’ve wonder if opening a window, on a bus might give better ventilation, and safer.  

We delayed our booster to be sure it was within 6 months for Israel. We could do that because we don’t come in contact with very many people on a daily bases, or even weekly.   Now,  I’m hoping our second booster will be a tweaked version for our Africa trip in Dec. What has given us some solace too is a high antibody result we got at 4-5 months.  

The buses I've seen do not have windows that can be opened.    They do have a vent like on airplanes but all your doing is blowing the same air around.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

Thank you for the description but I don' t think its the same Petre. The other one is around 6'2" slim and no glasses. Hopefully we'll get to see all the crew we knew again someday post covid.

Thanks

That is the same Petre that I was thinking of before joining the ship.    Although a different Peter is truly a  professional and just a nice guy.