Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I really don’t think the Captain needs to publish COVID cases.😱

To be honest I think it is as important as the daily number posted in the NY Times to see trends both upward and downward.    It helps bring awareness and each time an announcement is made I notice an increase in both social distancing, social distancing and mask wearing.   The Captain does reinforce the need for washing and awareness. 

For example if this cruise being the first at this capacity for an S-Class out of the UK and the numbers are less than or equal than the cruise out of FLL it will give many travelers encouragement to begin cruising again.   

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

We took a Celebrity tour this morning of Porto, a river cruise and a wine tasting.  They informed us on the bus that Celebrity was incorrect when it told passengers no masks on busses. The government still requires masks on all public conveyance and we were required to wear one in the tourbus. Noone  complained. 

Happy to hear.    Curious -  Did you board the tour at the Terminal or did you take the Shuttle?   

At least on the long lines for the shuttle no one had a mask, so would assume they would be handing them out if required.     If we had known that we may have gone ashore.

• Thanks 1

Captain George just came on and said we are leaving shortly after the final few passengers get back to the ship.    He also said more Covid cases had been reported and they were quarantined.    What a terrible way to spend the remainder of a cruise in lock down on deck 3 in an Ocean View Room.

By the way, I discovered on my walk today that deck 6 is again open and all cabins are filled.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Had a wonderful day aboard and got my 10 miles completed.  

The sun burned the marine layer away and it was a gorgeous day. 

42CA20C1-A202-44C5-B406-557EC7296DC1.thumb.jpeg.0c169d9f09736f12cb842112e731b0c4.jpeg

789E765D-5AEF-4E1E-AD3C-EFE92E80723A.thumb.jpeg.c1bbd4fbe8572965f950466f277a2299.jpeg

6DAED3BE-9769-4F69-9872-C5CC2AEDDDD7.thumb.jpeg.810e78e9173d0b385d4bf6788ae1341f.jpeg

Stay tuned to what happens when the tours ended.   Laurence warned us when we grabbed a bite in OCEANVIEW to enjoy quickly as 600 were due back fro tours in 30 minutes 

C58BD6B9-49BD-49C7-8A16-C4F193F65EB6.jpeg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest I think it is as important as the daily number posted in the NY Times to see trends both upward and downward.    It helps bring awareness and each time an announcement is made I notice an increase in both social distancing, social distancing and mask wearing.   The Captain does reinforce the need for washing and awareness. 

For example if this cruise being the first at this capacity for an S-Class out of the UK and the numbers are less than or equal than the cruise out of FLL it will give many travelers encouragement to begin cruising again.   

Just to let you know, the latest figure from the Office of National Statistics says that 1 in 17 people in  England  would have tested positive for Covid in the week ending 16th April.  This is an improvement - a few weeks ago,  the figure was 1 in 12 people.  But still very high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the deck above the pool after the excursion returned.     Wouildd have been better if I could get past that group in front of me.

Next did a walk through the Retreat Sundeck  I chuckled when I just posted and saw the ending with the moon raising over Porto

-

• Haha 17

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Just to let you know, the latest figure from the Office of National Statistics says that 1 in 17 people in  England  would have tested positive for Covid in the week ending 16th April.  This is an improvement - a few weeks ago,  the figure was 1 in 12 people.  But still very high.

Thanks --I've been watching them. 

I'm a statics kinda of guy and was watching the numbers and loved seeing them drop off as we were approaching our first cruise date.   We may be safer here than back home as it spreads west like the other past outbreaks.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm a statics kinda of guy and was watching the numbers and loved seeing them drop off as we were approaching our first cruise date.   We may be safer here than back home as it spreads west like the other past outbreaks.  

No social distancing at all on board the ocean view cafe is a nightmare try to step back while queuing and they push past you and grab your space !! Getting more like Carnival by the minute ( free drinks a lot to answer for)

More Covid cases each day up to now but no one seems to care !! Worried !

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Here is the deck above the pool after the excursion returned.     Wouildd have been better if I could get past that group in front of me.

Next did a walk through the Retreat Sundeck  I chuckled when I just posted and saw the ending with the moon raising over Porto

-

Too busy for me keeping out of the way if I can , more Covid cases tested positive  today 

23 minutes ago, Mystic Eye said:

No social distancing at all on board the ocean view cafe is a nightmare try to step back while queuing and they push past you and grab your space !! Getting more like Carnival by the minute ( free drinks a lot to answer for)

Post Covid lockdowns, this is why we do not set foot in the OVC for any meal or snacks. Unsocial distanced crowds = more positive Covid cases. Pre Covid we also avoided being in the OVC as well, we just are not into buffets and crowds. We prefer to be served in any other venue 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mystic Eye said:

Too busy for me keeping out of the way if I can , more Covid cases tested positive  today 

Today was the first time we went to Ocean View but while everyone was off the ship.   Was pleasant but was warned to grab lunch before the hoards arrived back.    No lines at all.   

We always eat breakfast in our room.    I have been getting my daily dose of caffeine at Segundo before the crowds arrive.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Today was the first time we went to Ocean View but while everyone was off the ship.   Was pleasant but was warned to grab lunch before the hoards arrived back.    No lines at all.   

We always eat breakfast in our room.    I have been getting my daily dose of caffeine at Segundo before the crowds arrive.

The coffee guys at Segundo are great! I miss them.

So are the ones on deck 5.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Captain George just came on and said we are leaving shortly after the final few passengers get back to the ship.    He also said more Covid cases had been reported and they were quarantined.    What a terrible way to spend the remainder of a cruise in lock down on deck 3 in an Ocean View Room.

By the way, I discovered on my walk today that deck 6 is again open and all cabins are filled.  

I hate to think about more people going through what we went through. Please stay safe and healthy!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We will be in Porto in June with Carnival and your observations have dismayed me since we've never been to that Port. I guess we'll wait untill the crowds on the pier bus have subsided until we venture out. Enjoy the rest of your Ports and I'm reading with anticipation for our trip starting next month. Thanks for all your posts.

If you book a "small" excursion, would that avoid lines/waits to get off the ship and the shuttle into the port area?

Hope you'll give feedback here on your Carnuval cruise.,for contrast,  thanks

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think  keeping track of cases on board is important, esp in a  fairly closed  environment..you are lucky to have a larger space to enjoy if you choose not to venture out where crowds gather! Stay safe!

28 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

The coffee guys at Segundo are great! I miss them.

So are the ones on deck 5.

They are nice.  I’ve been avoiding it as it is beyond crowded.   Probably because of the passenger mix.   

I stopped by tonight about 6:00 and picked up some lemon tarts. We like to keep some in inventory for a little bite in the afternoon.  

I ask for 4 and she looked and me and said I only have 3.   When I looked down at a full tray she broke out laughing.   She was pulling my leg. 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, hcat said:

If you book a "small" excursion, would that avoid lines/waits to get off the ship and the shuttle into the port area?

Hope you'll give feedback here on your Carnuval cruise.,for contrast,  thanks

Most definitely. The Carnival Pride is off on her TA from Tampa today. 

I'm actually on the Carnival MardiGras right now on a b2b. Previous cruise 5,800 and current cruise 5,700 passengers 😲😳😬. No mention or visual clues of Covid cases.

I miss the Retreat Lounge.

Using the time to decide on Europe touring plans. 

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

To quote Sir Winston Churchill " there are lies, damn lies and stastics". Seriously and more importantly  the numbers hospitalised due to Covid has remained low and the number in intensive care lower still. Most patients being admitted to hospital are admitted with Covid not because of Covid - i.e. they are admitted for a heart attack then, are tested on admission, and are found to also have Covid. Almost all the patients in intensive care for Covid are unvaccinated (over 80%). 

Keep safe and enjoy the cruise.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, the penguins said:

To quote Sir Winston Churchill " there are lies, damn lies and stastics". Seriously and more importantly  the numbers hospitalised due to Covid has remained low and the number in intensive care lower still. Most patients being admitted to hospital are admitted with Covid not because of Covid - i.e. they are admitted for a heart attack then, are tested on admission, and are found to also have Covid. Almost all the patients in intensive care for Covid are unvaccinated (over 80%). 

Keep safe and enjoy the cruise.

I think it was Mark Twain.  Maybe Sir Winston used it, too?

Tom & Judy

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

They are nice.  I’ve been avoiding it as it is beyond crowded.   Probably because of the passenger mix.   

I stopped by tonight about 6:00 and picked up some lemon tarts. We like to keep some in inventory for a little bite in the afternoon.  

I ask for 4 and she looked and me and said I only have 3.   When I looked down at a full tray she broke out laughing.   She was pulling my leg. 

Next cruise all my Café al Bacio items will be to go. Bar drinks to go, even when outside if crowded. (And I love being entertained at the Martini Bar.😿) Plenty of social distancing in the Retreat Lounge, so that’s OK. Won’t set foot in the OV.  

I’ll avoid crowds in general, but can’t totally avoid elevators. Maybe double mask?

10 minutes ago, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

It has been 

10 minutes ago, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

The quote has been attributed to Mark Twain who in turn attributed it to Benjamin Disraeli , an earlier British Prime Minister

Edited by dutchclogs
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Joanie - 

I has really been a stark difference from the cruise last week.    Britain has dropped mask mandates weeks ago and many feel really relaxed around others at this time.   Many think there will be fewer cases this cruise because the surge of the last strain passed over Britain a couple weeks ago while the surge has just began on the American East Coast and has yet been barely seen in California. 

I sure hope they are correct, but seeing a lot of the staff go missing and cryptic message from the Captain does concern me.    With this variant I'm not really concerned of being infected but the impact it may have on our vacation is very concerning.

The only way to get from the Beautiful Terminal in Porto to town is a shuttle.    The lines and they way they are packing the buses with unmasked guest forced us to just stay aboard and  the ship.

We were looking at the 07th May cruise and there were no verandas left. There is definitely demand ex Southampton to cruise, I'm surprised Celebrity doesn’t put a second ship there. Year round would be great for winter cruises to The Canaries 

Most people I know have had Covid this last four months and people are pretty relaxed since they lifted all the restrictions a couple of months ago in the UK 

• Like 2