Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We were looking at the 07th May cruise and there were no verandas left. There is definitely demand ex Southampton to cruise, I'm surprised Celebrity doesn’t put a second ship there. Year round would be great for winter cruises to The Canaries 

Most people I know have had Covid this last four months and people are pretty relaxed since they lifted all the restrictions a couple of months ago in the UK 

Royal tried all year. Didn't work because you always had the problem of the first 2 days and the last 2 days being wet/windy/cold or all three. 

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Happy to hear.    Curious -  Did you board the tour at the Terminal or did you take the Shuttle?   

At least on the long lines for the shuttle no one had a mask, so would assume they would be handing them out if required.     If we had known that we may have gone ashore.

The tour bus picked us up at the terminal. Excellent tour, I might add. Here are some photos from the tour. The metal bridge was designed by Eifflel prior to doing the Eiffle tower, as a test of the arch structure.

FB_IMG_1650839141073.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839131402.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839127407.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839110596.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839102055.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839098125.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839093359.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839084820.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839075954.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839053559.jpg

FB_IMG_1650839047355.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I really don’t think the Captain needs to publish COVID cases.😱

Celebrity has always tried to keep information flowing as much as possible.  It stops a lot of rumors that are often far worse than the truth.  If I saw someone I saw every night disappear from dinner I’d wonder if they were okay.  I like knowing too that many are asymptomatic although that seems to not guarantee no long COVID.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

Most people I know have had Covid this last four months and people are pretty relaxed since they lifted all the restrictions a couple of months ago in the UK 

It was more a political decision, not scientific. That is exactly why I got COVID.
My husband’s choir was put in a small room to practice for a competition.

So after 2 years of being very careful, I eventually caught the COVID cough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raudacruise said:

Next cruise all my Café al Bacio items will be to go. Bar drinks to go, even when outside if crowded. (And I love being entertained at the Martini Bar.😿) Plenty of social distancing in the Retreat Lounge, so that’s OK. Won’t set foot in the OV.  

I’ll avoid crowds in general, but can’t totally avoid elevators. Maybe double mask?

You could do what we did on our Princess cruise earlier this month.  Politely but firmly told people without masks not to get in.  I sometimes had negotiations in the elevator lobby about who would take the next one or who got it - masked or unmasked.  They have 3 elevator banks, and we mostly avoided the middle one and went to the less used one.  (Also used a lot of stairs).

Although, the elevator rides are short enough that you're not going to get covid from them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, raudacruise said:

Next cruise all my Café al Bacio items will be to go. Bar drinks to go, even when outside if crowded. (And I love being entertained at the Martini Bar.😿) Plenty of social distancing in the Retreat Lounge, so that’s OK. Won’t set foot in the OV.  

I’ll avoid crowds in general, but can’t totally avoid elevators. Maybe double mask?

I have to admit -  I have visited El Segundo Bacio 90% of the time as there is usually no one there and I can be served immediately.  The downside is their is no refrigerator of sin.    I did pickup some lemon tarts just after first seating opened and it was totally open.   It was also a great time for someone to visit the Martini bar. 

We chatted for a long time with Laurance last night and she said the MDR is absolutely packed.  Back to pre-Covid guest counts. 

We don't go to bars, even when no risk from Covid.    Iain may fix a drink in the room as we have a full bar setup in our room then go down to Retreat and sit at the bar and talk with bartender. 

Reflection has the best Bar in the fleet it's a large U Shaped bar that I'm guessing could sit 14 but usually no more than 6 at the bar.    We sit on the back side at the last 2 seats and often there is quite a bit of chatter from fellow passengers sitting at the bar.   Often someone will say .... are you Jim and Iain which of course is a good ice breaker.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

Royal tried all year. Didn't work because you always had the problem of the first 2 days and the last 2 days being wet/windy/cold or all three. 

Other cruise lines like P&O do round year cruising from UK though. And the same could be said about Royal Caribbean's Anthem which sails from NY in the winter 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jetblue said:

I hate to think about more people going through what we went through. Please stay safe and healthy!

David, We definitely are more diligent on this cruise.   I'm sure I am being inappropriate in saying I came out in the '70s.   After loosing my first love who, I still can't talk about without breaking down to Aids (HIV)  I often envision  people without masks as those at the time that chose to indulge in unprotected sex. 

Your thread was a Godsend and I'm sure you created as much awareness as Magic Johnson 

If you have a moment if you could e-mail (address in the click button in my signature) I would like to pass on some information that I wouldn't want to post as the information came from an undisclosed crew member.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hcat said:

I think  keeping track of cases on board is important, esp in a  fairly closed  environment..you are lucky to have a larger space to enjoy if you choose not to venture out where crowds gather! Stay safe!

I have to admit we are privileged to have such a beautiful large suite.    We have been comfortable enough to have a guest over for drinks.    They were also constant mask wearers and we all had just been tested.    With the door open for fresh air and the wrap around sofa is so large that we could still keep over 6 feet distancing and everyone really felt comfortable.   We were actually closer in Luminae.  

Some of our friends staying in the Penthouse were joking and saying by the second half of the third cruise we will be licking the door know.  She had me in stitches. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, raudacruise said:

With the crowds I noticed on my walk that in the morning that they had a sign on the Gellato Bar saying Coffee Only.     I didn't investigate but didn't see an espresso machine and scratched my head.

12 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

It has been 

The quote has been attributed to Mark Twain who in turn attributed it to Benjamin Disraeli , an earlier British Prime Minister

Winston Churchill has been attributed to many quotes -  Whether original or not my favorite was on a visit to America he said - "If it's coffee give me tea, If it's tea give me coffee".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

The tour bus picked us up at the terminal. Excellent tour, I might add. Here are some photos from the tour. The metal bridge was designed by Eifflel prior to doing the Eiffle tower, as a test of the arch structure.

Thanks you so much for posting the beautiful pictures.     I wanted to go there so much.   The colors and the vibrancy excited me.    We had decide that when the lines finally disappeared we were going there.    

After lunch I googled on it and to my disappointment it was a 2+ hour walk  and about 1.25 hour trip by bus with lots of walking to get to the bus line.    We decided instead to just enjoy the afternoon sipping tea and coffee on our veranda.    

You definitely got the perfect weather for you tour. 

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

With the crowds I noticed on my walk that in the morning that they had a sign on the Gellato Bar saying Coffee Only.     I didn't investigate but didn't see an espresso machine and scratched my head.

They have a machine and do takeaway coffee in the morning to cut the lines. Another example of AI not being thought through. The Al Bacio was never designed to handle the number of passengers it now gets. 

5 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Celebrity has always tried to keep information flowing as much as possible.  It stops a lot of rumors that are often far worse than the truth.  If I saw someone I saw every night disappear from dinner I’d wonder if they were okay.  I like knowing too that many are asymptomatic although that seems to not guarantee no long COVID.  

I'm wondering about how transparent they are and how protective.    Last night our waiter said the Sommelier had pulled a muscle in his leg, which is the reason for the Sommelier disappearance.  

Find it hard to believe he would be gone for 3+ days with a leg muscle sprain.   The new one was really flustered on the first night.   He has really turned out to be a much better sommelier.    He said they pulled him from MDR with 15 minutes notice and is new to the ship.     I noticed last night that he had a constant eye on every glass in the room to make sure they were taken care of..... the other we would often ask our waiter to find him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

FINALLY!!!! How in the world will I catch up on 59 pages?? I will find a way, I have been waiting for this for so long, I’m in cruise heaven.

Norma

I can only imagine.   I was looking for the room number to drop off the goodies last night and finally had to do a search on the word "Tote"  to find it.   LOL.  

Norma,   I hope the weather at home has improved.   We saw the unexpected rains on the news.

After a rough crossing we have been given perfect weather so far  on this cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

They have a machine and do takeaway coffee in the morning to cut the lines. Another example of AI not being thought through. The Al Bacio was never designed to handle the number of passengers it now gets. 

Good to hear.     In 20 years+ of cruising we have yet to pick up our free Gelato so never looked over the counter.    That really makes a lot of sense.   I always get mine to go, even prior to Covid.   

I do have to hit the regular counter every day or two and pick up 4 lemon tarts, which last us 2 days for our afternoon snack.    Even though they don't have it on the menu any longer I want to get a Affagato I'm salivating just thinking of it.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Other cruise lines like P&O do round year cruising from UK though. And the same could be said about Royal Caribbean's Anthem which sails from NY in the winter 

P and O only do a handful of winter cruises to the Canaries then the ships leave on much longer cruises to the Caribbean, round the world etc. Celebrity are not in that market. From NY there is a much bigger pool of people and the weather is much colder so more demand for a winter break. 

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

David, We definitely are more diligent on this cruise.   I'm sure I am being inappropriate in saying I came out in the '70s.   After loosing my first love who, I still can't talk about without breaking down to Aids (HIV)  I often envision  people without masks as those at the time that chose to indulge in unprotected sex. 

Your thread was a Godsend and I'm sure you created as much awareness as Magic Johnson 

If you have a moment if you could e-mail (address in the click button in my signature) I would like to pass on some information that I wouldn't want to post as the information came from an undisclosed crew member.  

Not inappropriate at all Jim. It was a very sad time and one which younger generations sadly have little if any memory of. My heart goes out to you and the many others who lived through the pain and carry the loss in their hearts. As ever your humility shines a light for all and hopefully a message that sticks.

Wishing you happy days ahead.

• Like 18

On 4/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, the penguins said:

Hi Jim and Iain,

We have enjoyed following your adventures and, as we know you like the Cafe al Bacio, wonder if you would do us a favour. 

The girl on the left is Olysia and we are wondering if she is on the ship. If she is would you please say hello from Geoff and Anita and ask her if there are any small  /light feminine  items she is having trouble getting that we can bring her when we board on 7 May. Many thanks enjoy your cruise and above all keep safe. Geoff 

It took me awhile to find al Bacio empty but had been checking every time I patched and their has never been a white server there.    The staff have been so busy they had 8-9 behind the bar working and has been chaos.    When I asked they said they"believe" she has gone home but couldn't be certain.  

Going from 50% capacity to full capacity overnight has forced them to pull people everywhere and reassign to other locations.    Many of the staff are ending their contracts and going home.    We just found out our second waiter in Luminae will be going home at the end of this cruise.   He said our new waiter, who he hasn't met yet, joined the ship in Southampton and will be coming out of quarantine today so will introduce him to us tonight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redking said:

Not inappropriate at all Jim. It was a very sad time and one which younger generations sadly have little if any memory of. My heart goes out to you and the many others who lived through the pain and carry the loss in their hearts. As ever your humility shines a light for all and hopefully a message that sticks.

Wishing you happy days ahead.

Thanks much.   I was rewarded with Iain coming into my life 32 years ago.    I consider myself the luckiest man in the world.

• Like 28

It is always interesting how well you get to know staff members when your on the ship for a month or more.   I guess they let little thing slip that they usually don't talk about.   We learned last night on how tough life is aboard due to covid.  Much of this I had not read or heard about before

First of all they just work, exercise if they wish, and sleep.    The crew bar is closed with the exception of a place to smoke  with a limit of the number of staff at the same time.   They are not allowed to socialize and must stay masked up.     The staff guy is open but they have to sign up for a 15 minute slot and can only have 4 in the gym at the same time.

The complete crew are not allowed off the ship and most have not set foot on land in 6-9 months.

A section of deck 5  aft is blocked off for the crew to have an outside smoking area. 

Many of their contract have been extended because they are so short staffed and have been working without a day off for 7-9 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

On the TA, I noticed my assistant waiter working the mast grill when it was windy and cold.  He told me he was so happy just to be outside as he hasn’t been out in a few months nor had been off the ship in 6 months.  He just kept smiling thru his mask.😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When taking and extend cruise you really experience it in a totally different way than a shorter cruise.   At first you start out like everyone else and over indulge in eating.   

After about 10 days you begin to TOTALLY relax and after that you settle into cruise life and get back to eating moderately and enjoy life at sea as oppose to having to be entertained all the time. 

This morning for breakfast we just had a Danish and Tea for Iain and Coffee for me.

Surprised this morning when I opened the door for breakfast to arrive that Nelson (our Personal Retreat Host commonly referred to as a butler) was replaced.     I asked of his health and was told he had been contact traced and was in isolation. 

873A6825-4168-4673-8B6A-DF2230E5C491.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4